H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Sunday, August 06, 2006
If God lights a fire...
13"You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. 14"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. - Matthew 5:13-16 [ESV]


It stands to reason, if I lit a lamp, that the purpose for my lighting that lamp is that it should shine light into a dark place.

If God lit you... yes, you. It stands to reason that He did so in order for you to take that light into a dark place. He didn't light you so that you could hide away in the basket of your fellowship or under the jar of your little Christian clique - the command is not to "make" your light shine - but to "let" it shine before men.

It is one of those simple commands - you have a light - just don't douse it when you go out - that was the command.

How're you doing? Don't answer me, I ain't the one asking.
posted by Daniel @ 5:17 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 8:48 PM, August 06, 2006, Blogger Even So... said…

    That very idea was the main part of my sermon this morning.

    I liken it to where Paul says we are lights in the world (Philippians 2:15), yet we put the "dimmer switch" on...

    We feel as if we can turn it off or on whenever we want to, depending on the situation...

     
  • At 9:41 PM, August 06, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    I forget to mention that it isn't really "this little light of mine" but rather "this little light of His."

    You will have to put some sermons up sometime.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Even So... said…

    His light indeed, our carnal casing hiding that light, as it were, or not as with Paul (2 Corinthians 4:7)...

    I used to post sermons but they were "too long" even in outline form,. I could email you some, or snail mail some cd action. Would love to hear your perspective.

     
  • At 11:20 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Jonathan Moorhead said…

    I forget the author of this little ditty, but someone once said that if you had a candle would you best be used in a society full of people with candles or a society where there were no candles at all?

     
  • At 10:11 PM, August 08, 2006, Blogger Gordon said…

    Good words.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.