H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Thursday, August 03, 2006
Three Things
Okay, so I am doing one of those meme tags.

As in all Meme Tags, you will note that I start off with a bit of gusto, but as it wears on, and on, and on, and on I start to get a little terse with my answers.

Three things that have genuinely frightened me in the past.
1. Jurrasic Park (the original). Seriously, I wasn't sure how gory it would be, and I was literally shivering in the theatre. Well, the A/C was up way to high - but I was genuinely afraid to watch some scenes. I was thankful that no one can see you close your eyes in the movie theatre.
2. Anxiety Attacks. A wrong diagnosis of "asthma" when I was a younger man (I actually was simply allergic to our cat), caused my doctor to prescribe asthma inhalers (puffers). In order to breath at night, I had to use the rescue puffer a lot - and one of the side effects of this particular corticosteroid is anxiety attacks. Nothing like thinking you are dying to make you a little afraid.
3. Sin. Nuff said.

Three people who make me laugh
1. Bill Cosby. My dad used to have a few Bill Cosby albums when I was growing up and I have always found his "stand up" to be hilarious.
2. Patrick Star. Granted Patrick Star is not a real person, but just a character on SpongeBob - but I find him funny anyway.
3. Bob Hope. I am a sucker for old black and white funnies. Some of the Bob Hope/Bing Crosby movies are hilarious!

Three things I love besides the Lord, and Family
1. Playing Guitar. I used to play for hours a day.
2. Video Games. Perhaps "unhealthy addiction" would be a better description than "love." I truly have to watch myself in this area.
3. Reading. I love to read, and wouldn't mind writing a book some day.

Three things that other people like, that I don't.
1. Watching Sports. I was never a sports fan.
2. Going for group walks. Maybe it is just my wife's family - but it seems whenever they get together they have to go out for a walk around the block. It seems the most inane thing in the world to me. I don't mind going for a walk sometimes - but there better be a good reason - you know, my house is on fire, or perhaps I am on fire? But simply walking as a matter of habit - well, I don't enjoy it.
3. Chicken. I don't care how you dress it up - it's just chicken. Give me a steak and keep the chicken for someone else. I will eat chicken, politely - but I won't enjoy it.

Three things I have forgotten, but wish I hadn't.
1. Calculus. I loved Calculus, but I have forgotten most of it, and a lot of the trigonometry and algebra that went with it.
2. The recipe for my grandmother's scones. She made the most tasty scones! She is gone now, and no one knows how to make her scones.
3. The name of the pastor who led me to Christ. I can almost remember his face, but his name is long since gone from my memory. I wouldn't mind calling him up and letting him know that I still love the Lord, and thanking him for being faithful to share the gospel with me.

Three things I have never understood.
1. Sadism. I don't understand how a person can be deliberately cruel to another - seeing suffering in another makes me physically ill (hence I am no doctor).
2. Lying. Sometimes I catch myself embellishing or exagerating a story so that it is more interesting. I know it is wrong, so I stop - but I don't understand how it is that even knowing better, I still find myself slipping into that from time to time.
3. Someone eating chicken on purpose. Okay, this is sort of another stab at the chicken thing. I know that there are some people who would be quite thankful for a mouthful of foul, er, fowl. I don't doubt for a second that to a starving man even chicken satisifies. I am just saying I don't understand why someone would eat chicken who didn't have to. You know, who chose chicken over say, steak, or even over say dry pasta.

Three most unusual things on my desk at work
1. A squidward figurine. If you don't know who squidward is, you are missing out.
2. A change of clothes. Because I ride my bike to work, and because I don't normally interact with the public - I tend to walk around in riding clothes the whole day long. It can happen however, that I am called to a meeting - and, depending on who is going to be there, it is nice to have a change of clothes handy.
3. A couple of gospel tracts. Before you start thinking I am some red hot evangelist, I have to come clean - proselyting is not well received in a government office. I actually had to sign an agreement after offending someone with my faith once - so these tracts have been sitting there on my desk for a couple of years now. Every now and again someone will ask what they are, and when they do I am allowed to explain it.

Three things I am doing right now (not counting this meme)
1. Um, breathing? Okay, seriously, if I am doing this meme, what else would I be doing?
2. Listening to the sound of typing, and air conditioning systems.
3. Scratching my eye. It was itchy.

Three things I want to do before I die
1. Go to Seminary. I dearly wish I had the facility to go and study theology formally.
2. Write a book called "Approximate Christianity." I would love to write a "how to" guide that teaches immature Christians the difference between seeking the Lord and warming a pew.
3. Travel the world. I haven't seen a mountain or an ocean yet.

Three things I am good at
1. Backhanded Compliments. You sir, are a prince among kings, and regardless of what others say, I think you're brilliant.
2. Playing with my kids. I think this is easy, cause I love them so much.
3. Accents I am quite good at immitating, and understanding accents.

Three ways to describe my personality
1. Generally contented. Wherever I happen to be, that is where I am happiest.
2. Clever. I fancy myself as being clever at least? Maybe I should have said self deceived, or possibly clever?
3. Confident In talking with me, people have often comment that I come across as very confident. I think that is a polite way of saying, arrogantly sure of myself.

Three things I cannot do
1. Skate Backwards. I know, I am a Canadian. The shame, the shame!
2. Whistle loud with my fingers in my mouth. My father could put a couple of fingers in his mouth and pierce your ears with a thunderous WHISTLE. The best I can manage is an audible, but breathy, micro-toot.
3. Eat chicken without complaining Bullfight. Well, I am guessing actually. Perhaps if I had the opportunity I might prove to be a formidable bull fighter, but alas, I think it best to err on the side of caution here, and go with "can't do."

Three things I think you should listen to
1. Anything by John MacArthur. You can download sermons from many places on line - it is well worth your efforts.
2. Hymns. Unlike most of the pop that passes for Christian content these days - many hymns are edifying, and even beautiful theologically.
3. Glad's rendition of "Before the throne of God" Powerful, powerful stuff.

Three things I don't think you should listen to ever
1. The Prosperity Gospel. Nuff said.
2. Vulgarity when you can help it. Garbage in, garbage out.
3. Pyramid Marketing Sales Pitches. No one should have to suffer through this sort of thing, especially at the hands of a friend or aquaintance. Et tu Brutus? Et tu?

My Three Favorite foods
1. a Good Alfredo sauce over a cheese stuffed pasta.
2. Thin crust, onion and Pineapple Pizza. I know it sounds odd, but Yum!
3. A thick, juicy, well marinated, barbequed steak. I shouldn't be doing this before supper...

Three sports I would like to try.
1. Hang gliding. I live on the prairies. Jumping off of a roof to fly to the other side of the street just doesn't cut it.
2. Sky diving. I think it would be quite fun.
3. Scuba diving. Again, not in a swimming pool, or snorkeling, but reef diving somewhere cool would be fun. Surfing too I suppose.

Three beverages I drink most often
1. Diet Seven Up.
2. Diet Pepsi.
3. Milk.
(I love milk!)

Three normal shows I watched as a kid
1. Star Trek (The Original Series). I still think Kirk was cool, not to dis' Jean Luc, but Kirk had that over the top thing going that was always fun.
2. Lost in Space. I want to get the series and watch it again and see if it was actually good, or if I was just young enough not to know better.
3. M*A*S*H. My dad controlled the TV. It wasn't bad.

Three weirdest shows I watched as a kid
1. H.R. Pufnstuf Jimmy's talking flute used to freak me out. Any how come all the characters looked like McDonald's mascots? Oh yeah, McDonalds ripped them off and got sued.
2. Chiller Thriller. Whenever we got a baby sitter, we would lie and say we were always allowed to stay up late and watch scary -B- movies. I still shiver to remember one particular installment - "Don't be afraid of the Dark." - this crazy movie about this house where there are these little demons or something living in the chimney who can't stand the light, and who sneak about in the dark and drag off people and stuff them in the chimney. (shudder) - after watching that I couldn't sleep in the dark for years.
3. Castle Frightenstein - you know with the dancing wearwolf, and that big bald guy Igor? That was always a dumb show, but we didn't have cable television.

Three people I tag to do this meme
I am not going to saddle anyone with this. If you like memes you should do one.
posted by Daniel @ 3:45 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 8:48 PM, August 03, 2006, Blogger Neil said…

    Whoa. This required quite a commitment to complete.

    I also agree with much. If anybody tags me I'll just link here. Sports on tv is not exciting.

    Don't let Einstein catch your eye.

     
  • At 9:38 AM, August 04, 2006, Blogger Fred Butler said…

    I hate golf...And I am suppose to be pastor oriented.

    That HR Stuffinpuff was freaky. Witchpoo, the big dumpy dragon, and that blood curdling talking flute. I can't believe I would get up on a Saturday morning at 6 AM, sit through the farm reports and Davey and Goliath just to watch it. If I had only been home schooled...

    By the Way, I love chicken, especially from El Polo Loco (Spanish for: The Crazy Chicken).

    Fred

     
  • At 9:47 AM, August 04, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Fred, you love chicken? Perhaps you just love the spices? I am going to assume, in fact, that you simply like the spices.

    <covering ears> La La La La La</covering ears>

     
  • At 10:48 AM, August 04, 2006, Blogger mark pierson said…

    Put the summer olympics on TV and I am a junky (that's yankee for "addicted")

    Put fried chicken in front of me, and it's gone in 5 seconds (the whole chicken)

    You, a Canadian, can't skate backwards???!!!

     
  • At 2:07 PM, August 04, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    I can skate backwards a little bit, but only in straight lines.

    I make up for it however, with my plaid enriched wardrobe.

     
  • At 11:16 PM, August 04, 2006, Blogger pilgrim said…

    "Three things I cannot do
    1. Skate Backwards. I know, I am a Canadian. The shame, the shame!"

    Well I can't really skate--the last time I skated was about 10 years ago.

    "Three things I think you should listen to...
    2. Hymns. Unlike most of the pop that passes for Christian content these days - many hymns are edifying, and even beautiful theologically."

    Amen.

    And I believe the TV show you refer to is the Hilarious House of Frightenstein--it doesn't age well but was fun a sa kid.

     
  • At 5:10 PM, August 06, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Petunia - I can't prove it, but chicken is the devil's food. The dark meat at least.

    Squidward is one of the characters from the spongebob squarepants cartoons. With four kids under the age of nine, I watch a fair bit of cartoons.

    Thanks for dropping in and commenting! Hope to see you around again. ;-)

    Dan

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.