H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Sunday, July 23, 2006
A Wonderful Couple!
That's Neil on the left...If you have gone through all the links in my blog roll already, then you are already familiar with Bugblaster (Neil) and Kim. If you have been following their blogs at all, you will know that this weekend their eldest daughter celebrated a birthday away from home (she is a camp counselor this summer), and Kim and Neil stopped in to visit her this weekend. Their visit put them in my neck of the woods so we arranged (if possible) to get together when they came through. As it turned out, it was possible - and frankly, their visit was a real treat! If these two seem like great people in print, they are doubly so in person. My wife and I had a wonderful visit!

There was the awkward moment when they realized that I am not as bald as I was last summer when I shaved my head, nor do my eyes actually hypnotize people with my lemur like stare - but such awkwardness cannot last long when little drooling five month old babies are around Neil. He seems to have a great affinity for babes, and soon had our youngest hope snuggled up and asleep.

Neil and I chatted in the living room for a while, then we joined the ladies in the kitchen. In the meantime Neil had told me a story about how one of their children snuck into their bed once and put his cold feet on them. It must have been quite a traumatic incident, because Kim told the exact same story to my wife in the other room! That was funny - in the "old married couples start to look the same and dress the same" kinda way.

Neil and I chatted about bible translations, church, blogs a bit, and some bloggers, family, and all that sort of stuff. Had we had more time I expect we would have been exchanging testimonies. A shame that... - I really love to hear testimonies of what the Lord has done in other people's lives.

I don't really know what my wife and Kim chatted about yet, as my wife has since gone to bed, and we haven't compared notes yet, but when the boys decided to join the girls in the kitchen the conversation ranged from preaching styles to homes chooling to our favorite pastors and teachers. The kids stayed downstairs and quiet for our whole visit - which was nice too, it allowed us to visit without having to parent - and if you have kids, you know what I mean - it was a real nice visit.

When it was time for them to leave, it felt like we had known them longer. My wife and I sure hope they stop in again if they're ever in this part of the country again, and our prayers are that God would continue to bless this couple, and continue to make them such a blessing to others. They were just a great, couple!
posted by Daniel @ 11:04 PM  
16 Comments:
  • At 5:28 AM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Carla Rolfe said…

    This is so funny. I was telling my husband Kevin about you & your wife's visit with the Shays & he agreed with me that Kim and Neil just need to do the tour. It'd be the Kim & Neil Canada 2006 tour, they could stop at all the bloggers homes across Canada and it would be one great big party.

    We've had the honor of having them over a few times now and they are indeed a great couple, and just a lot of fun.

    I'm glad you got to meet them, and spend some off-keyboard time visiting.

    :o)

    SDG,
    Carla

     
  • At 5:55 AM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Jeremy Weaver said…

    Canadiens meeting Canadiens...Can anything good come from that?
    :-)
    Is he really a bugblaster? I mean...he didn't tear up the house shooting bugs or anything, did he?

     
  • At 7:05 AM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Even So... said…

    This warms my heart, really, Christians of like precious faith meeting each other.

    It sure will be less than meeting Jesus, but imagine what heaven will be like considering this.

    For all the Canadian bloggers:

    Standing invitation to visit sunny Florida and visit me and my wife. A Sunday to go to church with us would "rule", and you could hear what a 5'3" Florida cracker sounds like preaching.

    No kids left at the house, so come on down, anytime, we have room for 'em all...

    He that is joined to the Lord is one spirit, and we are all members of One Body, praise the Lord!

     
  • At 10:01 AM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Carla ~ It was quite a hoot. I am only sorry we didn't have the opportunity to meet their kids.

    It is so refreshing to find the same person in print as you do in person - they were just who they seem to be, only moreso. Quite a treat indeed!

     
  • At 10:04 AM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Jeremy ~ when Neil first came into the house he was dressed as a "ghostbuster" complete with the unlicensed nuclear accelerator strapped to his back; but I made him change, so I didn't get to see any actual bug blasting...

     
  • At 10:06 AM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    JD - if ever I find myself even close to Florida, I will certainly visit, in fact I will likely test that old adage about guests and fish sharing the same stink after three days... ;-)

     
  • At 2:12 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Kim said…

    Okay, I only have one thing to say, and this is in now way a reflection on the photographer.

    That is the worst picture of myself that I have ever seen. I look like I'm about 80 years old -- not that there's anything wrong with being 80 or anything!

    I'm gonna put your picture up soon!

    Oh, and Shauna and I talked about homeschooling, what else?

     
  • At 3:58 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Kim - The blogger "medium" image size gives a default width of 320 pixels. I had cropped the shot, and resized it to a more manageable 350 pixels - but when IE renders a 350 px image at 320 px - well, let's just say it isn't very flattering...

    I think the image resizing algorythmn used by IE increases the contrast of the original image before resizing it - in order to make lines and what not show up on the resize - an unfortunate thing if the image is a face, and the lighting is a little severe.

    I resampled the image and made it bigger to bypass all that. I think you don't look a day over 75 now. ;-)

    Dan

     
  • At 7:17 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Kim said…

    Ah, you're too kind!

    I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was robbing the cradle, being married to a much younger-looking man and all.

     
  • At 7:48 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Neil said…

    Thank you Daniel, you are very kind! We really enjoyed our brief visit. It was like talking with friends that we had known for a very long time.

    We will visit again, no matter what you say.

     
  • At 7:49 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Neil said…

    Jeremy Weaver, you have a lot of cheek... I cheer for the Maple Leafs, not the Canadiens.

     
  • At 8:35 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Neil - there is an open invitation to yourself, Kim, and the kids - any time you find yourself around our end of the praires. Even if you are just passing through to go somewhere else, you are certainly welcome.

    I only wish I could meet Jeremy Weaver so I could be moved from the stale old, "bloggers I haven't met" blog roll and onto the more prestigeous "bloggers whom I have met" blog roll. And I think I should like to stand in his kitchen for a time as well, just so I wouldn't be on the other "people who haven't been in my kitchen" list that I am sure he keeps.

    Frank Martens hasn't been in -my- kitchen btw, but that is another story altogether.

     
  • At 10:16 AM, July 25, 2006, Blogger Kay said…

    *sigh*

    I should get a passport...

     
  • At 11:20 PM, August 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'm confused, are we all suppose to meet at Daniel & wifey's house...when!?!? i feel kinda lonely here in the usa too libbie, but not for long, my hubby is home!

     
  • At 8:19 AM, August 08, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Petunia ~ while you were likely being fecetious, never the less, if you find yourself in winnipeg someday, and I know about it, you will likely get an invite. ;-)

     
  • At 9:33 AM, August 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Facetious, Daniel!? Petunias are never facetious! Fanatical, Yes, facetious, never! anyhow, if we're ever "way-up-there" we'll look ya'll up. My husband would love to talk to you about biblical things. you both are thinker/ponderers! (how do you do that with 4 kids under the age of 9?) all in Christ have a blessed day.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.