H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Monday, October 31, 2005
Reformation Day!
On October 31, 488 years ago (1517 A.D.) Doctor Martin Luther challenged the nature of penance, the authority of the pope, and the practice of "indulgences" in the church. He did so by writing, and then publically posting on the doors of the castle church in Wittenberg Germany - "The Disputation of Doctor Martin Luther on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences" - otherwise known as his 95 Theses.

This date is, of course, contested, as is the posting of the 95 Theses to the church door. Certainly posting it on the church (nowadays at least) has a certain cinematic flair. But all symbolism aside, it was the traditionally accepted manner in which such a thing would be advertised on a typical university campus at the time.

In the 1450's Johann Gutenberg (arguably) re-invented the movable type printing press. A similar press had previously been invented in 1024 by the Chinese, but it used wooden or clay blocks instead of metal, and didn't really catch on. Likewise some credit the re-invention to a Dutchman by the name of Laurens Janszoon Coster - a contemporary to Gutenberg. Whoever was responsible for the invention - the printing press was a hit in Europe, and presses began to appear all over the place.

By the time Luther posted the 95 Theses, it was possible to rapidly print off copies, and distribute them widely - and without undue error. While you might be able to blow out a spark, you cannot blow out a fire. In this case, Luther's desire for cleansing in the church sparked off a great fire, and the corruption in Rome couldn't extinguish.

We often think of this as the start of the reformation, and because of that, the day is called "Reformation day"

So, Happy Reformation Day!
posted by Daniel @ 9:32 AM  
9 Comments:
  • At 11:22 AM, October 31, 2005, Blogger Frank Martens said…

    Hmmm, do you have a good book on early church history that you read?

    I'm looking for good suggestions.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, October 31, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    The pilgrim church by broadbent was a good read. Also you might want to look at some historical theologies (as opposed to systematic theologies) - they are awesome.

     
  • At 3:20 PM, October 31, 2005, Blogger Bryan said…

    The Pilgrim Church by Broadbent gives a sucessionist view of protestant history, something that cannot be realisticly held up without making a lot of heritics good Christians (If memory serves me correctly he does this with some who denied the Trinity). It is a book that should be read very critically.

     
  • At 8:15 PM, October 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Reformation Day is a bit better title for today...the 86% of Americans the radio said were decorating in orange and black today. Only ones really decorating in our neighborhood are the Believers...hmmmmmmmm, scratching head here!
    Elizabeth

     
  • At 9:52 AM, November 01, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    "It is a book that should be read very critically.
    "

    Amen! I believe it is the same for all books that profess authority on church history or theology, and typically, I believe such an admonition goes without saying.

    Beth - isn't is sad?

     
  • At 6:42 PM, November 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We are learning...in our old age even, that yep, all books need to be read critically. You know with this glut of information overload, seems even harder to be sure of truth! It is time for the Lord to come I think!

    Yep...agreed, tis sad...but we were once ignorant and participated to a degree as well...sadly so!
    Elizabeth

     
  • At 1:06 AM, November 02, 2005, Blogger marc said…

    People have recommended How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler but I haben't figured out how to get it started...

     
  • At 12:47 PM, November 02, 2005, Blogger Bazooka-Joe said…

    Great Blog Daniel. I'm marking my Outlook Calendar now!

    :Bazooka-Joe

     
  • At 3:08 PM, November 02, 2005, Blogger Bryan said…

    I've seen "How to Read a Book" at a local Christian College/Seminary as well I've seen it recommended over on PuritianBoard. Have yet to pick it up myself yet...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.