H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Was Judas Iscariot Saved?
Um, no.

Seriously. NO! ... NO! NO! NO!

He was certainly given authority to do miracles along with the other apostles, he prayed like a pro, knew the scriptures as well as any of them, was even chummy with the Lord, and had serious responsibilities amongst the apostles. The guy was certainly religious, but seriously... even though the Holy Spirit ministered to him, even though Christ ministered to him, even though Christ granted Judas authority to cast out demons and heal the sick - yet for all that Judas went out from the apostles because these things did not save Judas, he lacked one thing that the rest of the apostles had, and that is why he left them - because he was not of them.

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 9:51 AM  
11 Comments:
  • At 10:28 AM, May 27, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This "dumb question" has come up often in talking with fellow Christians. I've always believed Judas Iscariot was NOT saved, or else he wouldn't have "fallen away." My husband has a wonderful litmus test for salvation - did the individual endure? If so, he was saved. If not, he only had the appearance of salvation. I am unable to determine who is among the elect, since someone who is currently atheist could be converted at some point in the future, and those who appear to be among the flock today could prove to have been goats disguised as sheep. The only real "test" is whether that person endures to the end, since the Lord will not abandon his sheep and no true member of the flock will be allowed to wander off for good.

    I'd just like to thank you, once again, for being such a voice of reason and faith.

    Jen

     
  • At 10:35 AM, May 27, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    Jen, I like your husband's litmus test because it quite biblical. I don't concern myself with who is elect, for if the angels can't tell a true believer from a tare, who am I? It may well be that those who look most saved will one day fall away, and those who seem most lost and hopeless may one day enter the gates.

    It hurts my soul when I am talking to people who ought to know this much by now, and still don't.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, May 27, 2009, Blogger Rose~ said…

    Hi Daniel,
    I hope your soul isn't too hurt over this because I would say that most of the Christians who even kick this question around are mostly convinced that Judas probably wasn't saved. I am anyways, but I think it is interesting study.

    :~)

     
  • At 11:04 AM, May 27, 2009, Blogger Rose~ said…

    Can I just ask about the litmus test a sec? Peter strayed and fell away. What if he had been hit by a bus before he came around? Would that mean he wasn't elect?

    If your answer is that God would not have allowed him to depart this earth before he "came around" then we have a whole 'nother variable to election: the timing of death. One's state of living when one dies then becomes the focus of making election sure, rather than (more properly) asking oneself if what Jesus did for me is *enough* to save me no matter what state of life I find myself in. I think that the knowledge that He won my pardon breaks the heart towards repentance *more effectively and spiritually* than wondering if my faith is going to endure till I happen to die.

    I think the one is subjective and the other is objective. The subjective: pondering whether my faith will endure. This has a focus on the subject of me. OTOH, reminding myself that Christ is able to forgive all my shortcomings is focused on the object of faith: Jesus.

    (I know there weren't any buses)

    I do understand that people look at this in other ways.

     
  • At 1:11 PM, May 27, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    @Rose -

    I'm sure Daniel will address your question, but I wanted to chime in with a quick, yes, the elect will not die before they are converted. When I used the term "fall away," I was being a bit sarcastic because I do not believe the elect can fall away permanently. However, many Christians view a falling away as a complete loss of salvation, that must be won back by some means, whereas I believe the Bible is clear that we often stumble, but are never lost. Jesus is making intercession on our behalf ALWAYS. He is the good shepard who will leave the 99 to bring the 1 back to the fold, etc.
    The idea of enduring to the end is simply to recognize that the elect will not deny the faith and death removes the last chance for them to do so - just as it presents the last chance for the non-elect to proclaim it.
    Jen

     
  • At 2:11 PM, May 27, 2009, Blogger Rose~ said…

    Hi Jen,
    Nice to meet you.
    Actually, what I was talking about wasn't a question of whether or not the elect will do before coming to faith. I am asking about a person who comes to faith in Christ -and I use Peter as an example - and they deny Christ or something similar to what Peter did or any other thing that makes it seem like they aren't really a believer. You know, they sort of "fall away" (that is how I used the word). But they have an untimely death before they repent as Peter did, before they come back to walking right and exhibiting fruit.

    I think if they had faith and were converted in the past, then it wouldn't prevent this from happening... and this happening to them as a saved person certainly wouldn't prevent them from entering God's presence.

    I believe those two points. It sounds like maybe you don't? Correct me if I am wrong.

    Thanks!

     
  • At 2:12 PM, May 27, 2009, Blogger Rose~ said…

    I meant in the first sentence to say "whether or not the elect will DIE"

    duh! bad typing.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, May 27, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    Rose, instead of using Peter, let's use Paul, since we don't have to make up "what if" scenarios to do so.

    Scripture tells us that God chose Paul before Paul was born - having set him apart for the ministry Christ was going to call him to do.

    What did Paul do? Unlike Peter, who merely denied that he was associated with Jesus - Paul denied that Jesus was God, and put to real-life Christians to horrible deaths in the service of that conviction.

    Paul was elect, but about as hell bound as a person can get.

    How did Jesus intervine in Paul's life? Did he just allow this elect child to continue walking the path to hell? Or did Christ violently and decisively intervene on the road to Damascus?

    Does God play favorites?We say, yeah, I mean, sure, Christ did intervine on the road to Damascus - but hey - that was PAUL - that was a one timer.

    People who say that are idiots.

    Listen: God didn't choose Paul because God saw potential in Paul. Rather God chose to gift Paul beforehand with that potential in order that Paul would have the resources to fulfill the ministry God was eventually going to call Paul to.

    So don't say, "that was Paul" as though Paul did these things and by doing them he earned this special treatment. Rather say, God is not partial - but Christ chooses and saves each one in the same way. Not all who are saved have a Damascus road experience - but all who are saved are saved by Christ personally - every last one of us is that one sheep that Christ goes out to get, and doesn't come back until He does.

    You see, if God is truly sovereign, then election means that God will save whom He ordains to save.

     
  • At 4:16 PM, May 27, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rose,

    The term "untimely death" is not biblical. Therefore, I do not believe that anyone dies before he was meant to, and in the way he was meant to.
    Salvation is a matter of faith in Christ. Faith is a gift from God. People can fake it, and people can appear to have lost it, but that is only appearance. God sees the heart and all those the Father has given Jesus will not be lost.
    Reading Pilgrim's Progress was very helpful in smoothing out my understanding of the doctrine of eternal security.
    So many of Christian's "fallings away" happened after he passed through the gate and had his burden removed. The journey is long or short, laced with many perils, but the burden was removed once for all.
    Jen

     
  • At 3:33 PM, May 28, 2009, Blogger donsands said…

    ".. but all who are saved are saved by Christ personally.."

    And for the genuine born again child of Christ, that brings humility to the heart, and peace to the mind.

    It's amazing to think Christ loved us-loved me-, loved Daniel-, loved Rose, personally. Amazing indeed.

    Judas is in hell. Jesus said that he'd been better off never being born. But I deserve hell just as Judas, "But God..."

    And a very good teaching comment on Paul Daniel. Excellent thoughts on election.

     
  • At 6:49 PM, January 23, 2019, Blogger Unknown said…

    Salvation

    This is for those who have a slight problem in understanding what "Salvation" is.
    Salvation= Faith:= Belief:= Understanding:= Compassion:= Doing right by God.

    Faith without repentance Saves no one.

    Arlington Hopkins
    May God Bless.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.