H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Friday, May 08, 2009
Book Review: Just Do Something
I know a lot of people have already reviewed this book, in fact I purchased it because the reviews I read led me to believe it was going to be an excellent articulation of what God's word teaches us about His will. Without hesitation, I can say with joy, that this effort really delivers.

I have another book by DeYoung, (Between Two Worlds: Why We're Not Emergent), well, co-written by DeYoung, and I liked his straightforward, pastoral manner. Warm, engaging, and solid. I like the mix of honesty, candor and discernment found in this tome, which is conversationally an excellent and easy going read - but peppered satisfyingly with the sort of stuff you nod your head at emphatically, and immediately want to share with others the way in which the author articulated it.

Ten quick chapters, just over an hundred pages or so: you could read the book in an afternoon. I don't have a lot of time, so I was reading a chapter here, two there, etc., and found it easy to pick up where I left off.

Briefly, the book shows from scripture that God does not intend for us to learn his will through subjective, in-the-moment divinations, but rather through simply trusting what God has already said in His word. Basically, the whole book could be summarized by a verse in Psalm 32, "Do not be as the horse or as the mule which have no understanding, whose trappings include bit and bridle to hold them in check" - that is, don't imagine that God is channeling moment by moment instructions to you, and that He expects you to divine what these are so that He can lead you around all day in the say way one leads a donkey with a carrot - God doesn't want you to be foolish; He wants you to understand what His will is, and tells you plainly (in scripture) what that is. The rest of it you work out with fear and trembling, and not with liver shivers and subjective impressions.

Pastor Kevin is very gentle in his manner too, recognizing that many in the church will have come under fanciful teachings in this arena, and he handles this with tact, dignity, and with a warm but firm certainty.

All in all, I give it four and a half stars out of five, and only because I don't like to give out five stars.
posted by Daniel @ 7:07 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 9:35 AM, May 08, 2009, Blogger David said…

    Paraphrased: "I'd give it 5 stars, but I'm a curmudgeon." Of course, when I use the word "curmudgeon," it's a compliment.

    Sounds like a good book, and needed these days.

     
  • At 12:35 PM, May 08, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    David, I truly am curmudgeous, in a good way (I hope).

    This is one of those books that you want ten of so you can pass them out as needed.

     
  • At 11:24 PM, May 08, 2009, Blogger Strong Tower said…

    Sounds good. The title is what I have advocated people do for years. Guess God is channeling my thoughts to others who can write.

     
  • At 6:20 AM, May 10, 2009, Blogger Kim said…

    I just borrowed this book from a friend, and am enjoying it already. I'm thinking that it would make a good graduation gift for young students.

     
  • At 8:47 PM, May 10, 2009, Blogger donsands said…

    Thanks for the review. I read "Why we aren't Emergent, but Look Like We Are". Great book.

    I will have to absolutely get this one.

    I have been in, and around, those who like to do the feeling God's will thing, instead of knowing Scripture, every Word that proceeds from the Lord's mouth, and understanding His will. Being able to turn away from this false church culture has set me free from so much double-mindedness, and worry.

     
  • At 6:49 AM, May 11, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    Kim, I think that would be a good thing to do, or at least to put the book in the hands of new grads. I should like every Sunday School teacher to have a copy as well, or at least read it.

     
  • At 6:51 AM, May 11, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    Don, it's one of those books you want to have so that you can share it. I wouldn't mind two copies though, that way I can pass one around and still have the other on the shelf for impromptu reference.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.