H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Monday, May 16, 2011
Job 31:29
Famously, Job, in defending his own righteousness asks, in Job 31:29, "Have I rejoiced at the extinction of my enemy, or exulted when evil befell him?".

I think that is a the best place, for me at least, to begin to express my belated thoughts concerning the recent success of a U.S. military operation wherein a primary military target (Osama Bin Laden) was successfully removed.

When I heard that OBL was dead, I did not rejoice over his death.

Don't get me wrong. This man openly owned enough heinous acts of terrorism, that there was no need for a trial or hearing to establish his guilt. He flaunted his guilt, and compounded that guilt with an utterly unrepentant defiance. He was happy to murder innocent people if it meant that his own agenda was advanced, and he flaunted the fact that he was getting away with it.

Bin Laden certainly deserved to die, not just because he murdered Americans, but because he murdered innocent people. The fact that he had orchestrated the death of thousands only made the cry for justice all the more urgent. But I don't want to confuse the feeling that justice was satisfied with personal feelings of pleasure and/or joy that a man has been executed.

Let me explain that a little. When the priest in Israel offered up the life of an animal for a sin offering, neither the priest, nor the one for whom the offering was offered, rejoiced at the death of the animal. The life of the animal was forfeit as an act of justice, for the life of every sinner was forfeited unless or until it was redeemed. The sacrifice was understood to redeem the forfeited life of the sinning Israelite.

There is nothing untoward or wrong in celebrating and rejoicing over the fact that you have been redeemed, but it is quite another thing to take personal and morbid pleasure in the brutality by which your redemption was accomplished.

We don't spend Good Friday joyfully celebrating the brutal pouring out of Christ's life/blood. We celebrate what was accomplished there, but not the violence that accomplished it.

So also, even as I may celebrate the fact that justice has finally been meted on foreign soil by a crack team of Navy Seals, yet I do not celebrate or rejoice in the actual death of Osama. His dying is not a cause for celebration, it is a cause in the Christian for sober reflection: there but for the grace of God, go I.
posted by Daniel @ 10:28 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.