H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Friday, April 22, 2011
Good Friday vs. Earth Day
Today is the anniversary of the single most significant/important event in all history. It is the anniversary, in fact, of the one event in history that actually allowed there to be such a thing as history. Had Christ not come, God would have destroyed the world with Adam's sin. The cross stands, therefore, as the guarantee that there would be a history.

Today is the anniversary of this event. The anniversary of the day that our Lord offered Himself as the Mercy Seat for all those who repent and call upon His name. He became the place of propitiation - the ark of deliverance for those who believe. All of history points to this event, whether looking forward to it prior to His coming, or back to it.

Yet thanks to some oil spill in 1969, it is also the same day that, in 1970, the late Gaylord Nelson, a former Senator from Wisconsin (democrat) founded "earth day".

I find no joy in having to explain to my little ones the difference between real holy days, and those Hallmark™ days that activist dream up because they imagine that mankind might actually be able to destroy this world before our Lord returns.

It seems vulgar to me to mention earth day in the same breath as Good Friday. It is like the person who tells you that they have just came from the doctor's and learned that they have six weeks to live, and that their death will be so painful and horrible, that they can't stop thinking about it. To which you say that you also have your own troubles, having picked up a hang nail that morning.

I don't want to vent though - the world, and the people who live in it, pursue sin and avoid God because that is what sin leads us to do. Without Christ, we cannot expect the world to be more than it is. There will be some well meaning, but eternally misguided people today who will exalt the man-made celebration of the earth above what God has done for His children. It is tragic only in that it puts the depravity of sin on display, and most people won't even understand it.

To that end, enjoy the second Psalm:

Why do the nations rage
and the peoples plot in vain?
The kings of the earth set themselves,
and the rulers take counsel together,
against the LORD and against his Anointed, saying,
"Let us burst their bonds apart
and cast away their cords from us."
He who sits in the heavens laughs;
the Lord holds them in derision.
Then he will speak to them in his wrath,
and terrify them in his fury, saying,
"As for me, I have set my King
on Zion, my holy hill."

I will tell of the decree:The LORD said to me, "You are my Son;
today I have begotten you.
Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage,
and the ends of the earth your possession.
You shall break them with a rod of iron
and dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel."

Now therefore, O kings, be wise;
be warned, O rulers of the earth.
Serve the LORD with fear,
and rejoice with trembling.
Kiss the Son,
lest he be angry, and you perish in the way,
for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Blessed are all who take refuge in him.


[ESV]

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 11:15 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 12:38 PM, April 22, 2011, Blogger donsands said…

    Thanks for posting this Daniel. I needed to vent, since I vented this morning as I was driving in my truck, when I heard the weather man talk about doing something good today on this special day: Earth day.I literally screamed at the radio.

    But, yes, the world is dead, and needs to be quickened. I thank the Lord for quickening my dead soul.

    Have a terrific Resurrection Day!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.