H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Tuesday, April 06, 2010
Friday Thoughts
John Piper invites Rick Warren
I would love it if Rick Warren's interest in Jonathan Edwards was just the first fruits of a profound turning away from pragmatism, and I would love it if John Piper has been the first to see this turning in Rick Warren, and is only giving Rick the platform to put what God is doing in his life on display. My temptation however is to imagine that Warren has hoodwinked Piper by capitalizing on Piper's well known respect for Edwards, which is in itself a judgment against Piper's discernment. I think it wiser not judge these things before their time.

The iPad™
I think the iPad™ would be awesome for preaching (in place of paper notes) or in place of sheet music (it would fit nice on the music stand), and maybe for watching streaming media (audio is another story); but other than these things, I see it as too underpowered for serious use, and to overpowered (and over priced) for trivial use. I'll pass.

Obamacare
Free healthcare comes at a price. In Canada we routinely wait months to undergo certain tests that can be had over the border on a walk in basis. The reason for this is that in a free market, demand drives the supply. Government healthcare does not (and cannot) respond quickly or adequately to demand, since health spending becomes a budget balancing issue - which ends up being a political issue; which in turn ends up being just one of several competing election issues. My word for the Americans? Good luck with that.

Easter
I hate that word. I prefer "Resurrection Sunday". Easter is a secular celebration of chocolate, eggs, and bunnies; and if I may, superficiality.

Together For The Gospel
Man oh man. I wish I were going. Not so much because I want to hear the messages in person, as I can hear them downloaded; but because I know the time will be God centered, and rich with fellowship. There are a lot of people I would like to meet in person, and frankly, I love that kind of stuff.

Aborted Post
As some of you may have noticed this post was a little "off" when I first posted it. In particular it said nothing, and even the title made no sense being incomplete. Sadly I didn't notice it until today.

Briefly, I was going to write something polemic regarding the notion that Jesus' death atoned for everyone. In particular I was going to look at the way that understanding, when followed to it's natural conclusion, results in people going to hell, not because they are sinners who deserve hell, but rather because they "reject Jesus' offer of salvation". I wanted to show that the idea that Jesus died for everyone is not only unbiblical, but also incoherent. Because if Jesus paid for everyones sins already, God could not justly send anyone to hell for their sins. In order to overcome this truth, a new reason for going to hell has to be invented, then projected into our theology - and that reason is because men "reject" Jesus. Of course that doesn't answer the problem of men who never heard about Jesus, but hey, if you're going to be persuaded by something that is incoherent and unbiblical, you are already on your way to believing whatever feels right to you anyway.

Perhaps I will pick up on that thought again sometime.

Thought for the Day
Deuteronomy 8:16-18 says that God "...fed you in the wilderness with manna that your fathers did not know, that he might humble you and test you, to do you good in the end. Beware lest you say in your heart, 'My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.' You shall remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day." [ESV]

Here is what I want you to remember; that the day of your spiritual triumph is actually the day of God's grace. That if you are looking back to some time when things were more spiritual, you are not looking back to a time when you were stronger by your own might, but rather to a time where God blessed you with strength. The first mistake we make is to imagine it is our own zeal that has put us where we are, or put us where we were, or will put us where we want to be. A right understanding humbles you, and turns to God in thanksgiving for what was provided, rather than crying out that it isn't enough, or worse, getting puffed up by your present spiritual "success".

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 7:28 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 9:41 AM, April 09, 2010, Blogger Daniel said…

    how long has this aborted effort been here?

    I was going to write a polemic on the way some have twisted the gospel so that people do not go to hell because they are guilty sinners, but rather because they reject Jesus. I may finish that post one day, but I abandoned it in the middle of writing it, having forgotten that just as I began to write, I accidently hit the "enter key" and published it.

     
  • At 10:56 AM, April 09, 2010, Blogger Daniel said…

    Okay, I rewrote the post.

     
  • At 4:01 PM, April 09, 2010, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Obamacare is about so much more than healthcare. But, once implemented, there will not be anywhere to go to get the quality of care that we now enjoy. As I've said before, we have sold our birthright for a bowl of chicken soup.

    I tend to think Obama and his administration believe Jesus didn't die to save all either, since he seems to think the world needs his policies to save them.

     
  • At 11:25 PM, April 10, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Give this a read.

    http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/AskPastorJohn/ByTopic/90/4568_Did_the_death_of_Jesus_accomplish_anything_for_the_nonelect/

     
  • At 8:00 AM, April 12, 2010, Blogger Daniel said…

    Anon,

    Piper is right in describing how the death of Christ is an expression of God's mercy and grace that is extended to all men equally.

    Just as sunlight and rain are not mercies that attend the elect only, but everyone, so too, mercy and grace are available to all, bar none.

    The problem is that we have to qualify what we mean when we say that.

    Grace is not a substance; not a thing that you receive in part as though you could chip a bit of grace off a larger chunk of grace, and keep collecting more and more of it; nor is it like a substance in that it exists in some way separate from the one extending it. Grace is something that God, in the perfection of His divine character extends to people. it is an expression of the nature of God. It is the same with mercy, though people don't often think of mercy as some disembodied entity like they sometimes do with grace.

    If God has, in His grace and mercy, determined to elect a group of guilty sinners from amongst a larger group of guilty sinners, we recognize that as an act of mercy and grace - an act that declares the character of God. To show mercy to guilty sinners in electing to justify them through the death and resurrection of Christ and appropriated through the means of a faith that God provides to those whom He has elected to impart this mercy upon.

    Notwithstanding, in order for these elect sinners to even be born, God must allow/endure, the lives of sinners who are not recipients of this particular grace, but who benefit from it nevertheless.

    When Abraham pleahs for the lives of everyone in the city, he appeals to God's justice - will you destroy the righteous along with the wicked? If there are ten righteous men in the city, will the God of all the earth destroy these righteous people on account of those who ware wicked amongst whom they live? That is, will you snuff out the life of the innocent just to destroy the guilty?

    The answer of course was no. So that if there had been ten righteous men in that city (and there wasn't) God would have spared the lives of every wicked sinner in that city for the sake of the innocent ones who lived there.

    That is an expression of God's grace and mercy. It is this same grace and mercy which is being exercised daily in this world - God allows the wicked to continue living for the sake of the elect - that they might be born, and live, and by faith be redeemed according to God's preordination.

    Thus the temporal benefits that flow from the mercy and grace of God that is presently being directed at the elect has unilateral consequences. Because God is merciful and gracious to the elect, that same mercy and grace means that every living thing on earth continues to benefit from the life that God supplies.

    Even the gospel is preached to everyone, elect and non-elect alike - even though none will ever receive it in faith apart from grace. For every person, apart from grace will only ever reject the gospel, for we all are in a state of rebellion, unwilling to be reconciled to God apart from His working in us - a work that we have no desire for Him to do in us, apart from His instilling it in us the very act of grace and mercy we are talking about - the same act that bleeds out temporal benefit to all mankind.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.