H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
iPhone Remote Keyless Entry?
As a programmer, and gadget lover, I was wondering today whether or not I could program my iPhone to remotely unlock the doors on my vehicle. I mean, why not? The same chip on the iPhone (well, the 3G-S iPhone at least) that enables Bluetooth™ and WiFi, is also an FM radio transmitter and receiver.

I know there are a few gag apps in the iTunes app store that pretend to unlock your vehicle, but I thought, how hard could it be to write a genuine app?

Well, the truth is it wouldn't be all that hard to write the app if the hardware could do it, and the FM drivers were included as part of the iPhone OS.

Let's start with the driver. In order for the operating system to communicate with (i.e. make use of) the FM transmitter portion of the chip, it would need to know "how" to do that. The "how" is why we would need a driver, since the driver is like a command interface, you tell it what you want it to do, and it goes to the chip and does it. If you don't have the driver, it is like a car with no gas - all the parts are there, but the thing that makes it "go" is missing. The chip is certainly there, but this functionality hasn't been included as part of the OS (as yet).

If the driver to both transmit and receive were present, an iPhone could easily be used as a radio walkman sort of thing, or turned into a rather weak walkie-talkie; or even just transmit your iTunes songs or audio from video to the fm transmitter in your car wirelessly, and without intermediate hardware. You would just turn on your app, transmit to a station (usually around 88 MHz), and then tune in your radio and listen to your iTunes on the radio.

This is all quite do-able, in fact the chip was designed for that sort of stuff. Apple just hasn't enabled it.

Which is why I was thinking that since remote keyless entry systems send their encrypted key pulses through an FM signal; it was possible, in theory at least, if Apple ever got around to including and FM driver in their OS, to write an app that could "read" the signal of your "Fob" then retransmit the same signal from the app. It wouldn't have the range of a standard keyless fob, but it would easily work in the 30 to 40 ft. range.

You will note from this page, that the FM receiver/transmitter (in the chip that resides in an iPhone) operates only in the range of 76MHz to 108MHz; that is, it receives, and can transmit in this narrow band only. But here is the rub: most keyless entry systems in North America work on 315MHZ in North America (433.93MHz in Europe), so even if Apple included drivers to enable the FM transmitting capability of the iPhone, the chip itself could not transmit on a high enough frequency to unlock a door. The best you could do would be, maybe to add a lot of static to someone's nearby radio signal.

Sigh.

That means that, at present at least, it is impossible for a stock iPhone to mimic a vehicular keyless entry system...

Labels: , ,

posted by Daniel @ 8:07 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 2:44 PM, March 17, 2010, Blogger Daniel said…

    I just wanted to comment on my own post. Nice post Daniel...

     
  • At 1:21 PM, March 18, 2010, Blogger David said…

    This goes over my head, but I think it's cool that you would think of it.

    I'm just trying to figure out a little javascript these days. Know anyone who could help me with that? [hint]

     
  • At 1:37 PM, March 18, 2010, Blogger Daniel said…

    David, what are you trying to figure out in particular? Maybe I could help, or if not me, I am surrounded daily by people who could...

     
  • At 4:49 PM, March 18, 2010, Blogger David said…

    I know nearly nothing about javascript. I've found something close to what I want, but I can't find the exact function. It's no doubt pretty simple, but then, so am I.

    I want an expanding div that starts at ?px on page load, and expands on click to 100% (and back to ?px), and tells me once and for all if Saul really saw Samuel's ghost.

     
  • At 9:34 PM, March 18, 2010, Blogger JIBBS said…

    So that Apple commercial I saw today during the Husky game was false advertising? They most definitely made it sound as if you could lock/unlock your door, turn off the lights in the house, etc., even if you are FAR away from home (like on vacation).

     
  • At 1:16 PM, March 21, 2010, Anonymous Sabeian said…

    Of this topic I am rather unversed. Fankly put I'm impressed I figured out how to text people on my own. I am quite technically challenged to say the least. This is so far a topic above my head I find the clouds are between us brother! But good luck with your i-thingy! I will watch from the sidelines to see if this pans out in the techno world or not... then maybe in fifteen years or so I'll catch on! Ha ha.

     
  • At 11:09 AM, March 22, 2010, Blogger Daniel said…

    David wrote: I want an expanding div that starts at ?px on page load, and expands on click to 100% (and back to ?px), and tells me once and for all if Saul really saw Samuel's ghost.

    Dave, check this out and see if you can't borrow some of it (see here).

    As to Samuel's ghost... I think the answer is in the script.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.