H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Thursday, March 04, 2010
Teachers, Schools, and Lap Dances.
Have you seen the lap dancing teacher video yet? I am told it went viral. I live in the city where the video was recorded... I also homeschool my kids.

I am just saying.
posted by Daniel @ 8:56 AM  
11 Comments:
  • At 11:17 AM, March 04, 2010, Blogger David said…

    Huh ... teachers are so much more fun now than in my day.

     
  • At 4:55 PM, March 04, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    From this incident to home schooling is a non sequitur. The school board is really upset over this and the teachers will be disciplined.

    There may be good reasons to home school, but two teachers doing something ridiculously stupid once in the history of Winnipeg schools is not one of them.

     
  • At 7:47 PM, March 04, 2010, Blogger Daniel said…

    Anon, I don't think you get it.

     
  • At 4:32 PM, March 05, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Then perhaps you could explain it.

     
  • At 4:59 PM, March 05, 2010, Anonymous Sabeian said…

    I have not seen it but I've seen clips from the news. Vile is the word that comes to mind. It is truly unfortunate that people think this type of thing only happened once, when in truth it happens all the time ( I went to school here, trust me they are not saints by any means) They just happened to be the first ones caught doing it. I've had personal dealing with teachers on an illeagle level back in my day. I was raised you don't tell, nowadays, kids talk, text, video everything they can.(to be honest, I no longer partake in any such activity) I do hope they get more than a slap on the wrist for this. Bravo Daniel, for home schooling. I get your point.

     
  • At 5:51 PM, March 05, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sabeian, no one has said teachers are saints, but there are around 13400 teachers in Manitoba, and as far as I am aware this is the first instance of public lap-dancing. If you have evidence of this happening often please share it. To say that "in truth it happens all the time" without any supporting evidence is mere rhetoric.

     
  • At 9:40 PM, March 05, 2010, Anonymous Sabeian said…

    Anon,
    forgive me for not clarifying. I meant these sorts of things, meaning unprofessional behavior. Not lap dancing in particular. Forgive the confusion. Please do not think I am against the education system or anything. I have many friends that are teachers as well as those who work within the public school systems, and many are upstanding and moralistic people. Yet like elders in a church, they are held to a higher standard, and when they do not meet those expectations, unfortunately the whole system gets the flak for it. Alot of us can think back to our own experiences as children in school and remember how strict and disiplinary those times were. But today's age the boundries of what is proper are skewed. 20 years ago, being pregnant before marriage was still a relatively big thing, now it is sadly unsuprising. I think that is Daniels point in all of this. How values and morals have been slowly degraded thruought the decades to a point where some find this behavior 'harmless' or 'not that bad.' when 20-30 years ago it wasn't heard of. My point was simply that this degrading behavior has been happening in one form or an other for many years, but like a ball rolling downhill, it is rapidly gaining speed. The fact that they have removed christianity from public schools, and preach the evalution theory as gospel doesn't help either.
    Hopefully I've explained my meaning to your saticfaction and apologize if I offended you in any way, that was not my intent at all.

     
  • At 11:29 PM, March 05, 2010, Blogger Bryan said…

    Sabeian, you need not worry about offending me.

    I can think to what I see 6 year olds saying now to people and cannot imagine myself ever saying such things when I was 6 years old, so on one level I do agree with you, yet on another this raises even more questions. For example, you said "But today's age the boundries of what is proper are skewed", okay but what of your parents, and your parent's parents? We can keep going back and people in each generation will make the same comment about their proceeding generation. When were things not skewed since the fall? Furthermore, how is this skewing being measured? We may point towards some standard that has lapsed, but I bet we can also point towards some standards that have increased.

    The other issue is of course if you go back far enough there have been times in the past where things were skewed far more then they are now.

    I think we also need to be careful not to confuse arguments about a degradation in the education system, and degradation among society in general. The education system in my opinion has large issues with it (Which is why I started off saying that there may be good reasons to home school). These issues can be debated back and forth and Christians will no doubt disagree with each other on some of them. But as soon as the discussion changes to how society in general has degraded then, since everyone is part of society, we must admit that those parents who home school also have a skewed view of boundaries.

    There are some parents who should not home school, just as there are some teachers who should not teach. Both for moral reasons, and reasons of ability.

    I won't touch your evolution comment, but I do agree with you that taking Christianity out of public society has been a disaster. Of course, I have heard stories of Christian schools doing as poor a job as public schools in the moral category.

     
  • At 11:31 PM, March 05, 2010, Blogger Bryan said…

    Yes, it finally allowed me to log in! I tried to post that first entry 10 times before giving up and becoming Anonymous.

     
  • At 1:55 AM, March 06, 2010, Blogger Daniel said…

    Bryan, congrats on the engagement. Shauna and I will likely come, we haven't replied officially, but count me in brother, count me in.

    My post was intended to be a sort of pithy social commentary whereby my closing remark would pass along the sentiment that if this is what they are teaching children in the public schools, I am glad I homeschool.

     
  • At 12:25 PM, March 07, 2010, Blogger donsands said…

    I saw it on Fox The O'Reilly Factor.

    It was immature, ungodly, and stupid.

    The government schools are in bad shape in the good old USA. There are some good ones, but the system they have now stinketh for the most part.

    My niece teaches in an elementary school, and says it's not that bad.
    Last spring when they had games day, the Principal told them that when they play 'Tug-o-War', to now call it, 'Pull of Peace'. That's sick. And that's the atmosphere in one sense. Guns are evil. Condoms are something children need to hear about.

    Yet, there are Christians in the schools. Not many, but some.
    And there are good teachers who are non-Christians, like my sister Mary, who has taught in the schools for almost 40 years. She says it has gotten worse and worse each year, and that's with billions of dollars spent, and of course the politicians answer is "We need more funds."

    Have a grace filled week.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.