H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Wednesday Prayer Encouragement -IV-
Is your prayer all dried up?You may have noticed but there was no prayer encouragement last week. That was because I had written two, and wasn't sure which to go with, so I opted to go with neither.

Today I am not going to resurrect one of those, but will strike a different note altogether. In our first encouragement we remembered that God granted the lives of a bunch of unsaved condemned prisoners to Paul because Paul had asked for them. Not because they were more worthy of life than innocent people, but rather because Paul prayed for them. It encouraged us in this way - to remember that God is not a man who thinks as men do, but a God of mercy who has said that he will hear our prayers. We should pray therefore as Paul prayed - with boldness, and not according to our own understanding of what God may or may not answer.

In our second encouragement we remembered that God's covenant and his people are always connected, but that this connection can be misapplied or misunderstood. That the new covenant is about us pursuing God diligently by counting on our death in Christ rather than our own ability in order to overcome the sin that destroys our fellowship with God. Our confidence in prayer must rest in Christ's worth and not in a worth that we, through our works, develop in order to merit favor with God. We pray at the foot of a throne of grace.

Our third encouragement was to remember that God is not absent from us in our sin, but uses it to draw us to himself - and that understanding that God is not against us because of our failures, but for us at all times, we were encouraged to have a right mind set in prayer - that we are as soldiers who are engaged in taking the promised land, and that our victory is assured in that our ever-victorious General is on the field with us, and that a besetting sin is like a prolonged battle that we have yet to win - but for which the victory is guaranteed by our General. We ought not therefore, to let besetting sin make us feel like God wants nothing to do with us - that is, we must never give into the desire to flee from God on account of our continual failure - we must flee towards him.

By putting such encouragements into practice we are setting aside the dictates of our flesh when we pray. That is, we are not listening to the way the flesh directs us - telling us that God hates us, that our prayers are useless, and that we merit nothing before God, and instead we fortify ourselves in the truth and allow not the flesh to govern our prayers, but the Spirit. Prayer is an act of worship so profound that I am going to have to spell it out soon (no time right now). When we set aside the flesh in this way, according to what is truth - we are worshiping God in our spirit and in truth. Rest in the certain knowledge that when you pray in this way you are being pleasing to God.

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 6:52 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 8:24 AM, August 22, 2007, Blogger Even So... said…

    Agreed...

     
  • At 5:15 PM, August 23, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    it's just you and me man. We are the only ones who comment on my blog anymore. ;-)

     
  • At 5:32 PM, August 23, 2007, Blogger Even So... said…

    I'm with 'ya, though, as well as Christ...

    I think there has been a problem with blogger, my hits are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy down, like 75%...comments are you, me and Don Sands (I love that guy!)...

    ...maybe I should start preaching prosperity, happiness, and giggles and such...

    uh, no...

     
  • At 3:57 PM, August 28, 2007, Blogger One Sheep's Voice said…

    -That the new covenant is about us pursuing God diligently by counting on our death in Christ rather than our own ability in order to overcome the sin that destroys our fellowship with God.-

    This is good, very good. Thank you for your steadfastness.

     
  • At 9:17 AM, August 29, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    Thank the Lord for any steadfastness in any of us! ;-)

    Thanks for popping in Paul.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.