H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Gethsemane
When we hear the name most of us remember this painting made popular when we were growing up, depicting the standard "white" Jesus in regal looking robes kneeling at a rock somewhere and looking more like He is having a pleasant chit-chat with God than struggling under a very real temptation to avoid God's will with regards to the cross - a temptation so profound that Christ is near crushed beneath the weight of it - sweating as it were, great drops of blood in the effort to obey.

Not that a more exacting and bloodied image - a more "precise depiction" of that event could generate anything more than sentiment, pity, or empathy. Surely we might cast our eyes upon a perfect rendition of some peasant Jew agonizing in prayer, and agree that this image captures something of what it may have been like - but whatever image we present we will immediately project into it the cause of that agony, the burden of that prayer. Whatever fetch we use to focus our thoughts about what happened there - most of us will simply think that Christ agonized in prayer, his agony had to do with submitting Himself to the cross, and we make a mental footnote about it, that this happened just prior to Judas and the soldiers and whatnot coming to get Him.

It becomes just one scene in the greater story, and some of us have been inclined in the past to romanticize the whole scene - turning it into something to be admired because of its poetic and perfect nobility. We picture it, so that we can admire it.

But how many of us understand that none of us can go to the cross and be crucified with Christ if we don't agonize in prayer along with Christ in Gethsemane? Do we imagine that we can avoid what Christ could not? Do we imagine that obedience will spring up in us without a struggle? That surrender will come to us without agony?

Think well on Gethsemane my brothers and sisters - for I fancy that no one goes to the cross who hasn't spent a long night in the Garden at Gethsemane.
posted by Daniel @ 1:47 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 6:57 AM, October 04, 2006, Blogger Theteak said…

    Amen. In many ways the battle was fought and won in the garden - the dreaded cup of God's wrath was looked into...imagine the sheer horror of seeing the raging fury of the wrath of the living God and knowing that to drink it meant to 'drain the dregs of the goblet that makes men stagger...'(Isaiah 51)

     
  • At 7:52 AM, October 07, 2006, Blogger Ryan said…

    Amen, brother. We indeed have a cross to bear—not the one Jesus bore—and it is just as much a struggle for us to say "Thy will, not mine, be done."

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.