H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, April 12, 2006
How to preserve meat...
Before we had refridgeration, meat was typically preserved in barrels of salt.

You would cut the meat into small "salting blocks", and lay them like bricks of meat in the salt - using the salt like mortar laying piece by piece in the barrel - being careful that no two pieces touch each other - pounding the salt in the spaces between the meat.

The salt draws out the moisture from the meat and creates an environment inhospitable to bacteria.

In Numbers 18:19 we read, "All the heave offerings of the holy things, which the children of Israel offer to the LORD, I have given to you and your sons and daughters with you as an ordinance forever; it is a covenant of salt forever before the LORD with you and your descendants with you." Likewise in 2 Chronicles 13:5 we read, "Should you not know that the LORD God of Israel gave the dominion over Israel to David forever, to him and his sons, by a covenant of salt?"

When we understand how salt was used to preserve meat - we get a more vivid picture of what the bible says in verses such as these.
posted by Daniel @ 9:40 AM  
6 Comments:
  • At 11:20 AM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    Interesting...

    BTW, I noticed your clock is on Calgary time. Did you move?

     
  • At 12:48 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Nah, I just haven't got round to changing it yet.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    There - now we are back on Winnipeg time. ;-)

     
  • At 3:15 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    The 'tenderness' of meat is measured by how much force is required to shear the muscle. The more tender the meat, the less force is required.

    Typically, it is the natural enzymes present in the meat that make the meat tender. These enzymes break down muscle fibre - making the meat "relax" and giving it a "tenderness."

    Marinates work by assisting these same enzymes in breaking down the muscle fibre. While salt can help this process, it isn't a big player in the picture - and is usually present for seasoning rather than marinating.

    I am no expert on this however, so don't take my word on it. ;-)

     
  • At 12:31 PM, April 13, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Daniel,

    I'm not one for stretching a metaphor but, as a woman, I am unfortunately well-acquainted with one property of salt in particular, i.e. retaining water.

    Follow me now . . . if Jesus is the living water, and we are to be salt, then the saltier we are, the more living water we retain!

    :)

     
  • At 3:20 PM, April 13, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    I think the irish have a saying, "salts preserve us!"

    oh, wait, thats "Saints preserve us"

    Retaining water? A stretched metaphor, but it does lend itself!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.