H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Monday, September 19, 2005
Weight loss update...

"I used to eat and eat and I never put on weight!"

That was true right up until about 20 years old.

At twenty, I suppose it was still true, I wouldn't know, I was eating a box of macaroni and cheese every day living on welfare. I never got the opportunity to see if I could become fat by eating and eating.

By thirty I was out of shape, and starting to grow in the middle - I had started as a petite 145 or so in high school (I am only 5' 8"), but by thirty I was a "portly" 200 lbs. It didn't look too good, so I joined an Aikido dojo and worked like a mad man - I managed in four years to drop 15 lbs. I had put on some muscle from all the exercise - and while I was still overweight, it didn't look too bad.

In April of this year, after being out of Aikido for going on four years now, I tipped the scale at 205 lbs.

I mean, it wasn't morbid obesity, but I had to admit, I was, gulp - fat.

Now, to be sure, I wore it well, or at least I thought I did. It had come on rather gradually, and I was so used to the way I looked that it just seemed I needed new pants every now and again (that dryer keeps shrinking my pants!)

But in April I was at my doctors and she told me that if I don't get testicular cancer or get hit by a car, I was likely going to die because of complications brought about by my weight. I will spare you all the details, but that month I bought a mountain bike and determined to ride it to work each and every day (I work about 10 miles from home - that is a 20 mile a day ride, five days a week.)

So I began riding when the weather became permissive (which up here in Canada starts around the middle of may - that is when the snow is finally all melted - it is still 30 - 40 degrees farenheit, but at least there is no snow!)

At the same time I began to restrict my intake of food - no soft drinks, no candy, smaller portions etc.

I have since lost 35 lbs or so. That is, my weight for the past month has been hovering at around 170. The fat is mostly gone - my waist at the navel is still 35 inches - when it ought to be at most 34 - but I don't look portly anymore - and some of the girls in the office are worried that I look too thin:

This photo might be slightly retouched - I couldn't find one of myself, but I am pretty sure this is what I look like.

Seriously though - it has been a long summer, and I plan to weight train over the winter to build up some lean muscle. Not the buff kind of muscle that makes you look great - just the strong kind of muscle - that keeps your joints tight, your back straight etc. If I put on ten pounds of muscle I will have done more than enough.

I will post a before and after picture eventually - maybe in May 2006. I have the most unflattering "before" picture already (no that is not me in either of these pics...)
posted by Daniel @ 3:44 PM  
11 Comments:
  • At 1:24 PM, September 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Weight...a heavy subject! But congrats on making such good progress! I too am in the midst of that horrid battle...one of, if not the most difficult...it is not like we can just remove all food from the house! Or in my case, that I have the option of staying OUT of the kitchen. But because of my struggle with high blood pressure and now borderline diabetes...and dealing with hubby's diabetes (he is not off meds and just doing diet and juicing and a few herbs, minerals, vitamins, etc that help and doing fine) we are better off than we used to be as to what kind of foods are in the house! He has alway DEMANDED snacks, etc in the house...but now because I am helping him, he is less demanding about that...and wants to stay off the meds so long as he can!
    Elizabeth

     
  • At 1:25 PM, September 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    opppss...make that: he is NOW off meds"!!Elizabeth

     
  • At 10:41 PM, September 20, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    one thing I found helpful is knowing that if I nibble something (such as a few carrot sticks) I will no longer be hungry if I wait twenty minutes after that. Carrot sticks are the best - you munch a few - and it is often enough to carry you till meal time - and better than this - if you don't want to eat a carrot stick, you know that you are not really hungry!

     
  • At 1:21 PM, September 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sometimes we think we are hungry, when really we are THIRSTY!! Drinking lots of water is helpful as well!
    Elizabeth

     
  • At 1:27 PM, September 21, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    I am more or less a camel.

    I drink from my water bottle as I ride into work, but then I more or less drink nothing till I go home at night.

    Water is good to drink before a meal though - so that you feel full sooner.

    I try to drink a large glass of water just as I sit down to eat - it helps.

     
  • At 10:41 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger Dan said…

    I'm a programmer as well, and I find that the worst part of the job, from a health point of view, is that we sit at our desk (no exercize) drinking Cola (empty calories) all day long.

    One day I worked out that there is a full shot glass of sugar (46g) in every can of my favorite soft drink beverage. I won't name it, but it's a favorite among programmers.

    I used to drink fruit juices when I worked at a school, but I imagine there is a lot of sugar in them as well.

    In any case, like you, I've been exercizing after work (jogging), but I wonder what I'm going to switch to when the winter rains begin...

     
  • At 10:44 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger Dan said…

    I forgot to mention that the photos you selected made this post so much better. ;-)

     
  • At 10:47 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    my wife really liked the latter one ;)

    Clamato is the death drink though. Try and find nutritional information on it - really, try! It is like finding a needle in a haystack, and that is because it is fully one calorie per millilitre - that is, a 295 ml bottle (the small one) is roughly equivalent to two cokes of the same size! And it has more than 150% of the sodium you need for anyone one day!

    I used to sip that stuff like crazy...

    I was actually just writing a post about cycling - I will post it later today.

     
  • At 11:50 AM, September 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have found that eating oatmeal for breakfast (I use the Bob's red mill kind that is cut rather than smashed...so looks almost like small rice when cooked)...seems to keep me full till supper time a lot of days. I use just a teeny pat of butter when cooking to help it not stick to the pan and then use whole fruit jam (made of 100% fruit and no sugar) for flavor...not many calories to a teaspoon full. And when you do not eat much the whole rest of the day, it really is not much calorie wise. Funny how something very full of fiber does that...
    Elizabeth

     
  • At 7:04 PM, September 22, 2005, Blogger Dan said…

    I agree with Elizabeth. I switched over from cereal to Oatmeal for breakfast this summer, and I've really noticed that I'm not needing snacks all morning. It does get old though (well compared to the chocolate Rice Crispies and extra chocolate milk I used to eat everything can get a little boring. ;-) But the oatmeal has been better for me.)

     
  • At 8:54 AM, September 23, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    I was thinking of going to oatmeal when I make my winter switch from cycling to weight training. It is great for your cholesterol.

    I don't cook my oatmeal either - a habit I picked up from my grandfather - I just pour milk into it like it was regular cereal, and eat it (with brown sugar of course).

    My grandfather did that when I was a kid growing up on the farm - and of course, since we never had oatmeal at home, I didn't know it was weird to eat your oatmeal that way - and wanting to be just like grandpa I naturally started eating my oatmeal that way. It just kinda stuck - my wife thinks its gross though.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.