H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Friday, September 23, 2005
RE: Extension of Term Appointment
I was hired in 2001 by the Government of Manitoba as a term employee. It was explained at that time that it was simply easier to hire term employees because you didn't need treasury board approval to hire them. The unspoken expectation was that you stayed a term until a staff year opened up, then you were hired on full time. There was the added advantage on their part that if you ever proved to be slack in your employ, they were under no obligation to renew your term.

So for the last four and a half years I have been working in three month increments (on paper at least) in the same position as a maintenance programmer (PowerBuilder/Sybase/Oracle) doing some Java and web stuff on the side.


There are three of us who have been term employees here for three or more years, and each time the terms are up we receive a new one no questions asked - there is far more work than there are employees.

So as our term ended this week we were expecting a new three month term, but instead each of us term employees was called into the bosses office.

Now, whenever you are called into the bosses office the first thing you do is steady yourself - have I been performing well enough? Is there a problem with something I said or did? You get ready for the worse, so when it comes you can take it with dignity. In my own heart I know that I haven't been working to the best of my ability lately, and so I thanked the Lord for any rebuke that was coming my way. I determined to accept it with humility and sincere repentance.

But my boss sat me down with that "I hate to be the one who has to tell you this" face, and explained that due to the ICT Restructuring initiative (a cost cutting amalgamation) that our department in six months time is going to be insolvent - that is, it will be swallowed up by the ICT branch as it swells its ranks by dissolving some 20 governmental branches. My boss explained that they had managed to get us a six month term instead of a three month term, but that was it - after that it was out of their hands. In other words, don't expect to have your term renewed after this one.

It came with the standard extension letter, modified somewhat to underline the closure of the term:

September 22, 2005

Daniel van de laar
System and Technology Services Branch
307-1181 Portage Avenue

Dear Mr. Van de Laar

RE: Extension of Term Appointment

Please be advised that your term appointment has been extended to Mark 31, 2006.

Due to the current ICT Restructuring Initiative, the Department is unable to commit itself to further employment beyond the above mentioned date of expiry.

We wish you continued success in your position. If you have any questions, please do not hsitate to call.

Sincerely,

J_____ R______
Human Resource Consultant
Human Resource Services

(copy)
J. F________
Payroll

I noticed that they capitalized department for some reason; perhaps they are referring to the department as a proper noun by virtue of its expected and impending bloatedness?

Likewise my body wondered upon reading it, how they could wish me continued success in my position since the position was ending...

The one fellow, Chris - he is a believer at least, his wife is pregnant with their first child, and they just bought the biggest house they could afford (sigh!). He went home after lunch to digest it. The other fellow, Doug, he is single and has no kids - it is a "bummer" for him, but he is glad that the only person his termination is going to affect is himself.

In my own situation, I trust the Lord to provide what He will, and that gives me strength. I prayed before I got this job that the Lord would lead me where he wanted me - and this is where I ended up - and I certainly cannot fret if the door closes. God's will be done! Yet I can't pretend that I am not a little bit anxious. These things are wonderful for testing our faith, but that doesn't mean they are pleasant!

Anyway - keep me in your prayers - not that I find a new job just as good or anything silly like that - pray that I would follow the Lord wherever He leads.
posted by Daniel @ 12:48 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 12:07 AM, September 24, 2005, Blogger Bryan said…

    Wow. You'll definitly be in my prayers Dan.

     
  • At 2:05 AM, September 24, 2005, Blogger Dan said…

    I wish I knew what to say... Rare moment I'm speechless. I am thankful they gave you some time, and hopefully you'll be able to find your direction sooner rather than later. You'll definitely be in my prayers.

    Take care,
    The other Dan

     
  • At 2:22 PM, September 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My dad does the same work as you. He was laid off a couple weeks after 9/11. He was able to find another job in about 6 mos. It is not a good feeling being unemployed. God Bless.
    -Zan

     
  • At 7:23 PM, September 24, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    Thanks all - I am not really worried. I haven't seen any birds starving to death lately, and if the Lord is able to feed them... well you know. Prayers are certainly appreciated though.

    Dan
    /\/
    \/\

     
  • At 8:05 PM, September 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad you will have some time! My hubby was laid off after almost 15 years working at a nuke plant. Turned out he was eligible for the Nafta provisions...it paid for the rest of his 2nd degree he was working on (electrical engineering). So not only was he able to finish that quickly and get back into the work force...but he was in college with our son...they graduated together, both wearing the gold cords as it was magna cum laude...and he was "dad" to a lot of other students who adored him. One of those serendipities of life. YES, it was scary and we ate a lot of sandwiches, tacos, burritos, etc. but we also still were able to help others...both in sharing food and time during those 18 months. Relationship wise it was one of the best 18 months of our lives! I hope you will find some serendipities in all this as well. We can pray so!
    Elizabeth

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.