H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Lables and Libel...
Here is the prayer that I prayed just now because I was quite concerned that I might write a post that wasn't very honoring to our Lord:

Lord, you are sovereign, and some of your precious children will be reading what I write here. Grant me the grace to be submitted to your will as I write this out, and allow your love for them to be my love for them so that I would encourage and edify those whom you love - for your glory, and for the sake of the church you love, in the name of your Son I ask this, because His hame is perfect, Amen.


Brother, sister, if you are convinced that your theology is more perfect than that of the Christian beside you, then go to him in love and share what you have known. If there is any truth in what you share, God will use that to open his eyes. You cannot convince another of truth, that is the work of Christ. Go to your brother with your five loaves and a few fish rejoicing for God can multiply them in your brother's heart.

But if you are learning to bait your brother, and tease him for what he or she believes - if you are willing to strike back when his theology insults you - then there is either something wrong with your theology, or you are an empty theologue, one who assents that a truth is true, but doesn't lift a finger to live it out.

Do you hate Arminianism? Do you hate Calvinism? Is that what defines your faith - how much you hate someone else's? If you are apt to teach then teach, but if you are just a clanging gong -a viper spitting your venom at those who disagree with you- perhaps you would take some advice? Love the Lord, and you will not find it in your heart to hate your brother, to ridicule or bait him or to make yourselves stumbling blocks before him. It is better for you to close your mouth in love than to open it in hate.

If another isn't seeking the Lord as diligently as you and your cadre, I hope you will choose to encourage their efforts rather than poke "fun" at them. By now it is high time you learned to blush.

Labels: ,

posted by Daniel @ 7:47 AM  
8 Comments:
  • At 9:23 AM, February 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you, Daniel. This is a wise admonishment.

     
  • At 11:29 AM, February 10, 2007, Blogger Rileysowner said…

    The conference must have been good for you. An answer to the prayers of God's people.

    BTW, good post, for some reason it reminded me of Spurgeon.

     
  • At 4:54 AM, February 11, 2007, Blogger Garry Weaver said…

    Hard hitting truth, Daniel. It is a rebuke that I need from time-to-time.

     
  • At 3:13 PM, February 11, 2007, Blogger Iris Godfrey said…

    I realize that good can come from debate, however, in my later years, I find less and less of that appealing. Instead, I find what works to further the truth and the work of the Kingdom, is simply to love and encourage those trying. I am (and often do) differ, but my primary job (even as a teacher of the Word) is to encourage as I teach.

    The views we hold in reaction to what others believe will not hold water in the long run. The more battles I fight in the doctrinal arena, the less impact I have in the lives of people.

    Jesus fought His battles, but if we examine them, we find them devoid of personal "right" and pride. We need to take this to heart.

    Thank you for the thoughtful post.

     
  • At 7:36 PM, February 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good post,

    I'm wondering if you were prompted to write this by visiting "a new blog" someone, who I highly appreciate, is advertising?

     
  • At 5:29 AM, February 12, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    Bobby - While I did feel inclined to write this after visiting a "new blog" that a mutually appreciated blogger was promoting, yet this sentiment I have expressed is not directed at any single blogger. I have held this conviction for a long time, and frankly I direct it more to myself than to others - a dead man doesn't complain when he is poked with a stick, and I find in myself a pressing desire to ridicule anything that doesn't line up with my understanding of scripture. Yet I see in that desire nothing godly, and so giving it to the Lord I am brought to a place where I can right this sort of post and mean it. God isn't impressed by sectarianism for pride's sake, and tempted as I am to the contrary, I must say, the love of Christ has, at least for this day, constrained me.

    I am always disappointed when my brothers and sisters tear each other down in this way (the bible calls it back biting) to build (puff) themselves up. I do not believe it honors Christ in us, nor does it bring glory to the church - it is just another way "self" deceives us.

    My prayer is that we see these things for what they are, repent of them, and move on from there.

     
  • At 1:16 PM, February 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Daniel,

    I agree, and have the same concern for the body of Christ, myself included.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, February 12, 2007, Blogger Craver Vii said…

    Hooray for the Holy Spirit! May love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control abound in our lives!

    Thanks for the good word, Bro.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.