H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Monday, January 09, 2006
Health, Wealth, and Happiness.

Above you will note the traditional Chinese figures for Health, Wealth, and Happiness.

Not surprisingly, the things that the world desires are often preached in the pulpits, and we are all too familiar with this particular worldly skew.

If I were to name the three things that have most hindered my reliance on God, what do you imagine they would be? That's right, sickness, poverty, and sorrow. No, wait - when I am in sickess, poverty or sorrow, I always turn to the Lord; the reality is , when I am healthy I forget to thank God for my health, and I begin to trust in my own strength (surely I will go with you on that business venture next month - what could happen?), likewise when I am wealthy I need not ask God to provide - why bother, I have enough already! And when I am happy - do I even think about God? No! I am way too busy being happy.

Without exaggeration, if I needed to come up with three things that have kept me from relying on God, I could say without hesitation: Health, Wealth and Happiness.

I am therefore not surprized that just about every system of philosophy is preoccupied with securing these things. Surely anyone who has them is going to be extremely hindered in coming to God. I think that is what Christ meant when the rich young ruler was walking away - unsaved. To His disciples Christ remarked that it would be more difficult for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom.

That is why I cringe every time a modern day Balaam preaches health, wealth, and happiness to God's children - they are preaching a gospel of separation, they are paving the way to self reliance. Nasty stuff as far as I am concerned.

posted by Daniel @ 11:21 AM  
6 Comments:
  • At 12:47 PM, January 09, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    How true brother, let us look to Christ alone as our source for everything.

    Unfortunately, we usually need some hardship to jolt us back into the reality that we are incapable beings who desperately need the grace and supply of the Lord.

     
  • At 3:26 PM, January 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What's impossible with man, is possible with God. rich poor camel or not. Blessings Dan
    Don

     
  • At 11:41 AM, January 10, 2006, Blogger WES said…

    Daniel, I like your blog. Keep it up.


    Wes

     
  • At 12:51 PM, January 10, 2006, Blogger bp said…

    So many times on late night t.v I see "pastors" who are selling packets of annointed miracle water, or prayer clothes, or beads, or something ridiculous like that. They promise people wealth and prosperity if they would just buy these random items. It really is sad that they believe God's role in their life is to give them stuff. It is even sader that these televangelists take advantage of them. I have often thought about writing a post which highlights some of the obscure items these televangelists sell-- but it just isn't funny when one looks at the whole picture.

     
  • At 1:03 PM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    it just isn't funny

    That is a sad truth indeed.

    How is it that a church can get that big without anyone reading their bible?

    Sigh.

     
  • At 3:54 PM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Susan - True enough I suppose.

    It is a head shaker though.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.