H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, December 14, 2005
Common Knowledge?
I thought it might be fun to compile a list of those common knowledge things that everyone seems to know is true, but are (in fact) false. Therefore, in no particular order I present to you, the list:

  1. The Iterative Bible: Many people believe today that the bible was arbitrarily slapped together hundreds of years after Christ, by some cloistered Monks, and since that time it has been revised many times - each revision being a new iteration based upon the former iteration - such that the text we have today is entirely removed from the original text - and even were that not so - the texts we have were just arbitrarily chosen from a bunch of manuscripts of equal merit.

  2. Homosexuality is Genetic/biological: Many people today believe that homosexuality is not an immoral choice, but rather is a genetically determined condition.

  3. Christians, Jews, and Muslims all worship the same God.

  4. 10% of the population is homosexual.

  5. Evolution

  6. You will get a muscle cramp if you swim after eating

  7. Chewing gum sits in your stomach for years


I could do more I suppose, but I wouldn't mind hearing from others too. What are some false things that are accepted as true according to "common knowledge" that you are aware of?
posted by Daniel @ 10:34 AM  
23 Comments:
  • At 12:09 PM, December 14, 2005, Blogger Rose~ said…

    The virgin Mary is forever a virgin, never had sex, even after Jesus was born.
    (yes! This is "common knowledge" among my Catholic relatives. Poor Joseph.)

     
  • At 12:10 PM, December 14, 2005, Blogger Jim said…

    Thanks Daniel, I'll have to add some of these to my sacred cows list.

    Of course the obvious one, "people are basically good"

     
  • At 11:03 PM, December 14, 2005, Blogger marc said…

    The wise men visited jesus on the night he was born...

     
  • At 1:15 AM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Dan said…

    Regarding Daniel's items:
    4. is getting a lot of discussion at my workplace because of a new movie on that topic. I'm surprised how many people believe that stat, and fail to work out the numbers and figure out that it can't be true even among the people around them, even if they know one or two homosexuals.
    3. seems to be really popular in the media lately. Bono among others keep talking about this one.
    6. & 7. are really true. ;-D

    My new additions:
    a. Most views on Recycling are greatly exaggerated or simply wishful thinking.
    b. Noah's ark is a myth because he couldn't possibly fit the biggest(fully grown adult) versions of every single type of creature on Earth (Two tabby cats, two black cats, two siameese cats, etc.) onto his little boat. (Is there any one else out there like me that wishes there were some more stories left over from the ark?)
    c. Science and Religion are incompatible
    d. Elvis is not dead. ;-D

     
  • At 10:24 AM, December 15, 2005, Blogger candy said…

    1.The oceans will rise because of global warming.
    2.Outcome based education is about no child left behind (and most children nearly illiterate!).
    3.All Canadians play hockey and are overly polite.

     
  • At 10:54 AM, December 15, 2005, Blogger candy said…

    4. Christian bloggers refuse to be contentious.
    5.All homeschool moms have unabridged dictionaries and buy their clothing here: http://www.modestapparelusa.com/

     
  • At 11:18 AM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Jim said…

    1. Homeschooled children are socially inept.
    2. Public education produces well rounded vibrant young people.
    3. Drugs are not addictive.
    4. Whatever I do in my private life does not affect others.
    5. Time heals all wounds.
    6. Americans are smarter than Canadians? (what?, humpph!)
    7. God is loving and will overlook our "mistakes".
    8. There is no Hell.
    9. Music is amoral.
    10. Every man's way is right in his own eyes.

     
  • At 11:26 AM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    These are some good one's guys! (and gals)

     
  • At 11:40 AM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Wayne Hatcher said…

    This may be a bit controversial, even among Christian circles: Global Warming. We had a record low of zero farenheit one night last week here in Oklahoma. Where's the warming in Global Warming. Closely associated: Humanity can cause its own extenction.

    Good topic

     
  • At 12:35 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Jim said…

    11. The world is overpopulated. We are running out of room on the planet. I've heard even Christians talk this way? Isn't God sovereign?

     
  • At 2:13 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    -More aid is the solution to Third World problems.
    -Wooden floors are healthier than carpets that are kept clean.
    -More spending on public health services makes a healthier population.
    -School uniforms reduce the problem of bullying.
    -Organic food is healthier and better for the environment.
    -We should pay more for goods produced in the Third World.

    I shall wont get to sleep for thinking of them.

    Every Blessing in Christ

     
  • At 2:17 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Brad Williams said…

    Here are some off the top of my head:

    1. God chose me because I first chose Him.

    2. If the divorce is final my remarriage cannot be 'adultery'.

    3. Divorce does not effect our children if handled maturely.

    4. I'm okay; you're okay.

    5. Doctrine isn't what really matters.

    6. Smoking in a restaurant is a God-given right.

    7. Public schools should teach sex education to my children.

    8. Kirk was a better captain than Picard.

    9. You should not spank your children.

    I was going for ten, but I went blank. These will have to do.:)

     
  • At 2:17 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Away From The Brink said…

    Myth: The U.S. divorce rate is around 50%.

    A reporter promulgated this urban legend years ago when he wrote a story on the divorce rate. That reporter compared the rate of annual marriages to the rate of annual divorces. That reporter found that the number of divorces was about 50% of the number of marriages that year.

    The thing the reporter did not take into consideration was the fact that the number of divorces was from a pool of all married couples that were married up to that year. The divorces that year were all the divorces among people that were married that year and all the years previous.

    So the reporter was comparing apples and oranges; he was comparing the number of marriage in a single year to the number of couples getting divorced that had been married over several previous years, even decades.

    That only made it look like the divorce rate was 50%. In reality it is much, much lower than that.

     
  • At 2:18 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Jonathan Moorhead said…

    Moor controversial: the final battle on earth will be at Armageddon.
    Hint: Jesus does not return to Mt. Megiddo.

     
  • At 2:22 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Bazooka-Joe said…

    Hey Dan great topic. Let's see, I'm sure I can think of some:

    - If you don't eat the crust of the bread you're missing out on all sorts of additional "minerals" and vitamins that aren't in the rest of a slice of bread.

    - Along with Jews, Muslims and Catholics, you can add Mormons to that list.

    - "Irregardless" is a word.

    - There is no liberal bias in the media.

     
  • At 2:37 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Rose~ said…

    Here's one:

    Man and Dinosaurs did not walk the earth at the same time, but were separated by millions of years.

     
  • At 2:40 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Frank Martens said…

    Here's one...

    "It's just men who hate going to church, the church is aimed for women only"

     
  • At 3:16 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Jeremy Weaver said…

    Per Jim's request;
    "Everyone sins, so it's no big deal."
    "Sin is irrelevant to the Gospel."
    "What's sin for me may not be sin for you."

     
  • At 7:31 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    Ephraim - I don't follow you?

     
  • At 9:41 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger David said…

    candyinsierras said... All Canadians play hockey and are overly polite

    Those two cannot both be true.

    Here's mine:
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

    The truth:
    Everyone is entitled to God's opinion. Yes, my pomo friends - wait, I don't have any pomo friends - God's opinion can be known. If we disagree on what that is, one or both of us is wrong, WRONG, I tell you! We are not both right.

    I had another one this morning, but I had to go, and I've forgotten it. But it was good, trust me.

     
  • At 10:18 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Matt Gumm said…

    General
    Calvinists are mean.
    _____ {insert sin to be justified} is OK because God wants me to be happy.
    Young people want a contemporary service, and older folks want a traditional service.
    People these days just aren't interested in sitting through long, expositional sermons.
    It's unreasonable to expect young people to remain sexually pure until marriage.
    Most major problems are a result of a lack of education [dovetails nicely with "people are basically good"].

    Christmas
    The innkeeper told Mary & Joseph offered the stable after there was no room in the inn.
    The angels sang the most beatiful song to the shepherds.

    BTW, according to the OED, irregardless is a word, but only in the "informal" sense.
    And Kirk could whoop Picard any day of the week.

     
  • At 7:26 PM, December 16, 2005, Blogger David said…

    I can't remember my first one, probably never will.

    "God helps those who help themselves" is in the Bible.

    Paul Harvey's "Rest of the Story" broadcasts are well-researched and accurate.

    If you spank your kids, they will learn to be violent.

    If the rich were less rich, the poor would be less poor.

    Canadians make good beer.

    Your wife isn't just polite. She really thinks your jokes are funny.

     
  • At 7:30 PM, December 16, 2005, Blogger Matt Gumm said…

    Your wife isn't just polite. She really thinks your jokes are funny.

    {Insert picture of me on the floor I'm laughing so hard...}

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.