H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, November 30, 2005
I am disgusted.
From time to time I mention my mentor, Bill Mcleod.

It is enough to say that Bill is a man whom God has greatly used in the past - most notably in the Canadian revival of 1971.

I could tell you about the revival, but Bill does it best himself. If you have an hour or so, you should watch this video.

If any -one- thing characterized that revival, it was genuine brokenness. This was not some wild and screaming orgy of bizarre and questionable phenomenons - it was an orderly and genuine repentance that resulted in profound new life in the church, in only a few short weeks, hundreds of converts became thousands, and everywhere men and women were getting "right" with one another and with God.

As would be expected, Pastor Bill has had ample opportunity since then to speak about the revival - and having seen the mighty hand of God at work up close and personal, Pastor Bill has promoted revival ministry ever since.

Now when I say "revival ministry" I get into a bit of a bind because revival means all sorts of things to all sorts of people. I am not talking about emotionalism or the pseudo-mystical hoo-ha that is often passed off as revival - I am talking about a pouring out of God's Spirit that results not in confusion and weirdness - but in changed hearts and lives. The revival in Saskatoon saw not only thousands come to Christ - but hundreds enter into full time ministry.

So it was not unusual when one day some ladies showed up at Pastor Bill's house asking to interview him on camera. They explained that they were making some sort of historical documentary on Spirituality in Canada, and wanted to include details about what happened in 1971 in Saskatoon as part of it.

Pastor Bill gave the interview, and signed the release forms, and months later received an invitation in the mail to attend the screening of the film. The screening was to be held in Toronto, and so Pastor Bill decided to attend.

That was the weekend before last.

I spoke with Bill about it yesterday and he was quite dissapointed at how it turned out.

It seems the ladies who did the interviews were associated with the extreme fringe of the charismatic movement (Read: "Toronto Blessing crowd") and sandwiched his interview in the midst of a movie portraying convulsing, gesticulating, and barking in the Spirit as divine in origin and typical attendant phenomenon of genuine revival. Pastor Bill was filled with disgust - the revival in Saskatoon was the polar opposite of the stuff seen in the Toronto blessing, and to have himself portrayed as legitimizing (or even being remotely associated with) the Toronto Blessing crowd filled him with disgust - not for his own name's sake - but for the ministries he is associated with that may be tarnished through the association.

It disgusts me to see these people associate themselves and their highly suspect buffoonery with this godly old saint and his genuine ministry. Worse than the original offense is the reluctancy to correct it.

After the film ended, it was announced that Pastor Bill was in the audience and that he was going to come and give a closing prayer. Pastor Bill was on his feet in a heart beat - not towards the front - but, as he wryly said to me last night, "I voted with my feet!" - he walked out, disgusted, and feeling betrayed.

He is currently working to try and have his interview and all association with him removed from the film - they have said they are "praying about it" - but the film is already being marketed. At the very list he would like to see a disclaimer that firmly denies any association between the Canadian Revival Fellowship and this fringe crowd. We shall see what happens. I suspect a lot of lipservice and perhaps a token, innocuous and vague disclaimer...

I asked him last night if I could write about it on my blog - just in case anyone sees the film and thinks he is associated with them. I don't have the name of the film, but there is a website - though I didn't get the address last night - I will update the post when I do.

Sigh - what a world!

UPDATE: The movie is called, “ From the River to the Ends of the Earth, and was produced by Marney Blom – the founder/director of Acts News Network. If the name sounds familiar it is because she produced the Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship’s (formerly Toronto Airport Vineyard Church of “Toronto Blessing” fame) "Catch The Fire" television program.
posted by Daniel @ 9:22 AM  
15 Comments:
  • At 3:05 PM, November 30, 2005, Blogger Jeremy Weaver said…

    Angry I am. And I don't even know you guys.
    That is a sad display of 'falling into the wrong crowd'. This is part of the reason I do not call myself 'Charismatic'. I prefer to just say non-cessationist and let others call me what they want. I'm pretty sure I would stick out like a sore thumb in a 'Charismatic' church. I am also more comfortable among cessationists than non-cessationists for the most part because of the firm commitment to Scripture.
    Anyway, I'll be praying for Pastor Bill.

     
  • At 4:10 PM, November 30, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    Thanks Bev,

    I didn't know you read my blog? ;-D

    The way to make a link is just use the anchor tag such that <a href="http://www.christianity.ca/church/history/2005/11.000.html">click here for page on movie</a>

    looks like click here for page on movie...

     
  • At 4:37 PM, November 30, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    I'll have to blog about you one day to keep it interesting ;-)

    Say Hi to Wendell, and see you guys tonight!

    Dan
    <><

     
  • At 8:27 PM, November 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How on earth can any thinking person think that deception is something that honors our Messiah? That it is needed???

    Thanks a lot for bringing this to my attention...it may be something to share with my tongues friends...I am certainly not against the genuine either...just the fake...and it is so easy for people somehow to fall into that hole!!

     
  • At 9:18 PM, November 30, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    I am most disappointed that they have to "pray" about whether to remove his interview. "Dear God, please tell us whether or not we should go ahead and use the footage of Bill Mcleod when he has clearly stated his great displeasure to be associated with us in the manner we are presenting him..." - man if you have to pray about something like that, you are not walking where you ought to be.

     
  • At 9:41 PM, November 30, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    I just can't get over how sad this makes me feel. Revival came to Saskatoon because God moved in men's hearts such that they prayed fervantly and believing - long hours each day for months and months on end - men were truly seeking God with all their heart and Revival finally broke - and now it seems that the revival that broke in Saskatoon, and the ministries that came out of that mighty movement of God are in danger of disrepute because someone has, for their own gain, wed that legitimate work of God's spirit with the fish-floppers and bark mongers. I think of the uncompromised integrity of this man being stained by this and I cannot help be feel sorry for those who think nothing of doing so.

     
  • At 10:14 AM, December 01, 2005, Blogger Rose~ said…

    What a crime to misrepresent someone in that way. How discouraging. How dishonest.

     
  • At 11:04 AM, December 01, 2005, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    My parent's Church got me into that Toronto stuff when I was a teenager. Really disturbing and it had a bad effect on me.

     
  • At 11:19 AM, December 01, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    Matthew (Can I call you that?), it is great to have you comment here!

    I have yet to hear anyone say anything positive about the Toronto stuff. Everything I have heard or read has a distinctive "skewed" flavor.

    Thanks for stopping in!

     
  • At 12:35 PM, December 01, 2005, Blogger candy said…

    When people like that say they will "pray" about taking out the parts of the film that your mentor participate in, that usually mean...they hope the issue will just go away and they really don't want to deal with it...cuz after all, the movie is going out all over Canada. I'm sure that the next thing that will happen is that they will have a "word" or a "vision" that states that they are to leave the film intact. Too bad we can't all get up in arms and protest and pressure them to do the right thing. Can we?

     
  • At 6:51 AM, December 02, 2005, Blogger Rose~ said…

    Daniel, what have you done to your profile pic? That is bizarre! Spooky!

     
  • At 8:10 AM, December 02, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    My wife wanted me to photo-edit a few pictures of the kids (put their faces on christmas ornaments) for a Christmas card she is making. My photo editing software is at work, so I downloaded "Gimp" and ended up playing with one of the distortion tools. I thought it was bizarre, so I swapped it up there for a couple of days.

     
  • At 8:37 AM, December 02, 2005, Blogger Rose~ said…

    Oh good, only a few days. You had me speechless on RR, but then...

     
  • At 9:34 AM, December 02, 2005, Blogger marc said…

    I can't decide which irritates me more, Daniel's new avatar or this sad event.

    I guess one moral of the story would be, know who's behind the camera... of course that's no guarantee either.

    Iain Murry "Revival and Revivalism" - HIGHLY recommended

     
  • At 12:08 PM, December 02, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    I read only one book from Iain, but it was awesome. When I get my hands on a copy I will surely read it.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.