H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Friday, August 12, 2005
Why we Homeschool
My wife and I both came to the Lord as adults, prior to our children entering into the public school system. My wife used to work in the public school system as an Instructional Assistant. She worked in four or five schools before our first child came along.

One day, when our oldest was still two years old, I was trying to get him to say something correctly. His pronounciation was inarticulate, and I, as a first time father, was pressing the point far harder than was appropriate. My dear son was trying his hardest to please me, but the moment I heard an error in his inflection, or pronounciation, I interrupted him and said the word the right way. He tried to say it, and failed, and before he could finish saying it, I repeated it again. To my shame this continued until my wife finally stopped me. She made me listen to him, and notice that I was causing him to stutter.

No kidding. He was developing a stutter that was never there before, and it was obviously there because I had been pressing him so hard to speak perfectly.

My wife (gently as she could) then spoke the wisest words I have ever heard her or perhaps anyone, ever speak to me about my parenting. She said that if I backed away my current attempts to make my son the only perfectly articulate two year old on earth, he would likely be quite articulate at age 10. But if I continued to press him beyond his ability, I may have a 10 year old who has been scarred emotionally because of my unrealistic expectations, and who may even have a speech impediment because of -my- vanity.

The truth, when it is given in love, is very powerful. These words sank into my ears, and into my heart.

Did I want scholastic excellence for my son? Yes, of course. But was that the most important thing? I realized it wasn't. The most important thing to me was that my son inherited my love for the Lord. I wanted a boy with good character. Scholastics may make me proud for a season, but a good character would please me all my life.

Something changed that day in my parenting - and it changed eternally. The character of my children became more important to me than their scholastic acheivement. When I realized this, I became a homeschooler. Even if my wife and I were the worst homeschoolers in all history - at least we would have happy children who loved the Lord!

As it turns out of course, my wife is the perfect teacher for our children, and they have excelled in almost every way imaginable. God has honored our efforts to give him glory through bringing up our children in a way that gives Hm honor.

God bless our Homeschool!
posted by Daniel @ 3:53 PM  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.