H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Monday, November 27, 2006
Monday, Monday...
I have fallen and I can't get up!Did you ever have a discussion going on that you really want to get back to, but current responsibilities elsewhere are chewing up your time. Not that I am complaining, the responsibilities I find myself having to answer are not cumbersome, they are merely time consuming and high in priority. But I do feel that I don't want to let the series grow too cold before I can get back to it.

Any way, for now I will point to a few good posts elsewhere:

The boys at Fide-0 demonstrate (with caustic clarity) the difference between crisp and "so entirely sloppy one wonders if the substance is there at all..."

Jodie (A.K.A. HK Flynn) is debating Frank Turk again over at the debate blog. She seems to be of the opinion that it was very poor form for James to contrast the impotent and pointless "faith" of demons with that sort of similarly impotent and pointless (counterfeit) faith expressed by the tares, er... that is, expressed by those who are utterly deceived in their faith and therefore false Christians. It should be an interesting discussion.

John MacArthur gives a timely answer to those zealous, but misguided few who think that if you have a Christmas tree in your house you are an idol worshipper.

Phil Johnson recently demonstrated one of the main reasons many shy away from answering fools in their folly: it quickly becomes a full time occupation.

I don't read David Cloud as a rule (and neither should you), but sometimes he publishes something that really tickles my funny bone (H/T: Fred Butler). This is, and Fred described it best - a "garment rending lament" about that nasty old Calvinism. The fellow who wrote is your typical, run of the mill "Huntite" - it is guys like this who typically end up red hot Calvinist once their eyes are opened...

Anyway - sorry I have no time for content of my own - If the current rate of "responsibility piling" continues, I should be posting something original in a few weeks.
posted by Daniel @ 1:02 PM  
14 Comments:
  • At 3:56 PM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    I will refrain from taking any of your bait. :)

    Maybe you could consider mini-posts on the discussion you had started?

     
  • At 5:34 PM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Even So... said…

    I'll be here...God bless you in all that you are having to do right now, with focus and fruitfulness...

     
  • At 9:53 AM, November 28, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Jim - I think mini posts will be the way to go - if I can reign myself in.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, November 28, 2006, Blogger mark pierson said…

    "Huntite"? I say Huntist. I read "What Love is This" 4 years ago. Can you say "Straw Man"? I knew you could.

     
  • At 12:04 PM, November 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did you ever have a discussion going on that you really want to get back to, but current responsibilities elsewhere are chewing up your time.

    Yes!

     
  • At 7:09 PM, November 28, 2006, Blogger Antonio said…

    Am I a fool trapped in folly, Daniel?

     
  • At 8:13 AM, November 29, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Am I a fool trapped in folly, Daniel?

    That depends on whether you are right in your opinions or not.

    If your opinions turn out to be the correct ones, then no, you are not a fool trapped in folly, but a visionary who has seen what all of redemptive history has missed, and as a watchman on the wall you are a clear and unfettered voice ringing out nobly the truth to an increasingly deaf generation.

    If on the other hand, you are just another crackpot with a man-pleasing gospel, a silver tongue and a penchant for pedantry - then you are just another run of the mill fool - deceived and deceiving those who are willing to share in your folly, and likely trapped in it because you have made your mouth more important to yourself than your ears.

    We shall all know for sure one day, my hope is that I am the one who is foolish, because I am willing to be cured of that. I don't get that vibe from you, but I have been wrong before.

     
  • At 8:28 AM, November 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Daniel, please allow that to be cut and pasted all over the place, it was reasoning an seasoning (Colossians 4:4-6), and if I were Antonio, I would see your truth in love, not that this would change my mnd, but that it would allow me to see you for the person of grace you are...straight shooting, with no collateral damage...that comment told it exactly like it is...

    Antonio, please accept Daniel's comment as if it were my own, I don't know you, haven't really interacted with you, but have been right in the middle of it, watching all sides on these issues...I am sure you can appreciate what Daniel is saying...I know I do...

     
  • At 12:21 PM, November 29, 2006, Blogger mark pierson said…

    Daniel, your 8:13am comment... great!

     
  • At 4:41 PM, November 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Daniel,

    Why would you promote someone like, Phil Johnson? He's not genuine in his blog interactions, esp. on the thread you note here. He plays the "caricature" card, and doesn't engage substantive issues, that you would think an "academic" like him would. I guess if Phil Johnson is one of the shining stars for the "Reformed" (at least soteriologically) camp--then I guess all I can say is that the language of fool and foolish is, relative.

     
  • At 5:39 PM, November 29, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    "...but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."
    Matt. 5:22c

     
  • At 6:50 PM, November 29, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    "For you gladly bear with fools, being wise yourselves! " - 2 Corinthians 11:19 [ESV]

    TAG! ... now it's your turn again Jim. ;-)

     
  • At 6:42 AM, December 01, 2006, Blogger mark pierson said…

    Daniel, did you ever notice that there are bloggers who do nothing but leave negative comments all over blogdom. It is as though they can see things that nobody else can. They seem to have their own way of trying to hijack comments threads in order to bring attention to themselves and their enlightened views. Oh, they talk a good bit of how we bloggers should learn how to interact in love; but then they turn around and mention names in an effort to put down ideas and thinking that is different than their own.

     
  • At 8:02 AM, December 01, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Mark - Paul the apostle was zealous for God long before he came to the truth. There is some wisdom in that I think, which is why I try as best as I am able to allow room for misplaced zeal in others - to trust that God has appointed a day to open every sincere eye.

    Having that in mind I do not forget that scripture teaches us how persecution will come not only from without the church, but from within (the external) church. If it is to be anticipated, we should not be surprised to see it - and truly, what is the chaff to the wheat anyway?

    My opinion is that when we have opportunity to bring glory to God -even if it is just to let others see how we respond to their behavior - let's do that, surely Christ living in and through us will do more to persuade a man than any argument or defense we might muster.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.