H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
I Will Not Blot Out Your Name.
Do you remember where in scripture God says He will not blot out someone's name? Of course you do
But the LORD had not said that he would blot out the name of Israel from under heaven, so he saved them by the hand of Jeroboam the son of Joash. - 2 Kings 14:27 [ESV]
I know, I know, you were thinking of:
The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels. - Revelation 3:5 [ESV]
What is common to both is that the text describes (in language that translates rather clumsily) the idea that something will be perpetual.

We use language like this even today sometimes - I know I do. I often will begin to explain what I am saying by explaining up front what I am -not- saying. I do not say that I am good at it, but I -do- do this often. In fact, I did it just now by saying "I do not say" - in doing so I expressed first what I was not saying, and then expressed what I -was- saying. This sort of writing technique is certainly not new, nor is it limited to English - and it is that sort of thing that we see when we reading in 2 Kings 14:27 "the Lord has not said... [blah blah blah]...so he saved Israel" That is, it wasn't like the Lord was about to (or even considering) blot out the name of Israel from under heaven - rather the writer expresses God's desire for the perpetuation of Israel by using this common writing technique.

We see it again in Revelation 3:5 - the literal rendering is "I will not blot out his name from the scroll of the life" - That is a fancy way of saying his name shall eternally be written on the scroll of "the life."

Some however tremble at Revelation 3:5 and imagine it is saying that God -will- blot out your name unless... but they are somewhat vague about what has to be done to get your name blotted out. These picture the Christian endeavor as popping in and out of salvation - and rest their greatest hope in either being struck by a car when they happen to be temporarily saved, or having time on their deathbed to make sure they have dotted all every "I" and crossed every "T."

Eternal life is a gift (c.f. Romans 6:23) - and as scripture says, the gifts of God are irrevocable (c.f. Romans 11:29). If you are saved, you are saved here and now, and you cannot lose that because it is irrevocable.

That isn't to say that everyone who fancies themselves to be in the Kingdom is actually a child of God. Many will go out from us thinking they were of us - but the fact that they could go out from us demonstrates that their claim to be one of us was invalid. Likewise many will continue with us, imagining themselves to be amongst us - but they are empty clouds without rain - lamps without oil - they are not saved, and on the last day they will realize to their horror that they never really called on the name of the Lord - and all their lip-service won't help them.

But if you are genuine - you are eternally secure.
posted by Daniel @ 12:51 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.