H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Tuesday, May 23, 2006
The Tough Choices...
If you have been at my blog for a while, you will remember my "This is what I look like now" post. It was a funny post (according to my own opinion) - regarding how people like to put their best face out there, and how I might proceed if I were so inclined.

I was going to call this - the "This is what I look like right now - Take II", but I think the tough choices works.

If you have been following the meta at all, you will know that my wife saw my precision sculpted beard on Saturday evening and politely called me "Earl" (as a derogatory) - demanded (only half playfully) that I shave it off immediately.

Now I love to fiddle with my beard and mustache - not the vain fiddling of the mid-life crisis, where I suddenly try and look "hip and happening" in a failed attempt to show that I am still quite young - hardly. Nope, my fiddling is an extension of my quirky sense of humor - If only I could grow mutton chops - you would see some serious funny pics (My wife is eternally thankful to the Lord for my inability to produce mutton-choppy-ness.) I just now asked my wife if I could desribe her as being "eternally thankful" thus, and she said that that was pretty accurate.

Anyway, I am no real fan of the sappy smile one I put up - it is sappy, but it doesn't capture the real me.

I therefore submit to you, gentle reader, a few candid pics from today, that I think really work.

I call this one: "Morning Squint" - it captures the "me" that I am, the moment I walk out of the dark bedroom and into the ultra bright kitchen. Note the carefully arranged hair - it takes hours to make it look like that.

This next one, closly related to the first, I call: "The Grapefruit Offer" - it happens while I am still in squint mode, and my wife offers me some "yummy" grapefruit for breakfast. Note the subtle change in demeanor, as I consider how tasty it will be - that sort of involuntary "cringe" reflex is typically an indicator of some form of abuse.

After a generous helping of grapefruit I am ready to wait in line for the bathroom. I call this photo: "Get out of the bathroom now, daddy needs it!" - it is subtle, but you might catch a hint of desperation in my left eye. With practice, you can plainly see the love pouring out of my inner most being.

Finally there is "The Re-Entry" - that post-morning shower shot where you throw on a standard "baseball cap" so that you don't have to worry about combing your hair. I wish Michael Moore hadn't ruined baseball cap wearing by being who he is, and wearing one all the time.

You see my dilemma. I thought about using the baseball cap shot - you know, sort of a "take back the night" kind of thing. But it was subtle you know, people might not know what I was doing, and they would just assume I was trying to look like Michael Moore or something. So I went with the sappy one.

Yet I am still pliant in the matter. What do you guys think? I am partial to "the grapefruit offer" myself.
posted by Daniel @ 7:01 PM  
14 Comments:
  • At 8:26 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Carla Rolfe said…

    Without question, "Grapefruit Offer"!!!

    :o)

     
  • At 8:27 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Rose~ said…

    I like "Get out of the bathroom now, daddy needs it"

    Funny post LOL

     
  • At 9:29 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    We are told that we are not supposed to laugh at our own jokes, but I sure chuckled again when I looked at the "Get out of the bathroom now" one! It is sooo subtle.

     
  • At 9:35 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger David said…

    Daniel, you are without a doubt the most distinguished-looking Canadian I have ever seen.

     
  • At 9:48 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    I like the wink David - that is sassy.

     
  • At 8:39 AM, May 24, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    All you need beside the last picture is a caption saying "eh!"

    Of course a baseball cap and fishing rod would complete the attire quite nicely.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, May 24, 2006, Blogger Neil said…

    I vote for morning squint. But your avatar shelf life is only what, 2 weeks? You can use all of these by the end of June if you want.

     
  • At 10:12 AM, May 24, 2006, Blogger Brad Williams said…

    Daniel,

    You will never top the frog kissing picture. Your efforts are futile.

    Having said that, the Bathroom Glare is still very, very good.:)

     
  • At 1:37 PM, May 24, 2006, Blogger Frank Martens said…

    You said... "Note the carefully arranged hair - it takes hours to make it look like that."

    Aprox. 7 hrs right? Give or take an hour :)

     
  • At 1:59 PM, May 24, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Frank - that is correct! I have a large, down filled, hair modifier, with which I dote over my lovely locks all night long.

     
  • At 10:54 AM, May 25, 2006, Blogger Frank Martens said…

    Haha...

    Anyway, I'm all about the Morning Squint. And Marc should do a "insert caption here" post with that picture.

     
  • At 7:48 AM, May 26, 2006, Blogger 4given said…

    This is hilarious. Every blogger needs to do this.

     
  • At 1:23 PM, May 29, 2006, Blogger Dan said…

    LOL, this is like a purgatorio photo post, featuring you. :-) I can really relate to that "Morning Squint!"

    Off topic: How do you track your bicycle stats on the top of your blog? Do you have some kind of handy bike computer that tracks all of that? When will we see the 'I think I swollowed another fly' photo? ;-) (I caught one yesterday, it was yummy. ;-P

     
  • At 3:08 PM, May 29, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Dan - I have a speedometer for my bike, it has an odemeter, a trip meter, etc.

    Thankfully, I haven't ingested any large bugs yet. It is currenly canker work season - and I hope I don't catch any of those - ewwwww!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.