H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Book Contest!
I was over at Adrian Warnock's blog, and it seems that he is drumming up some links with a contest he is sponsoring to give away five books (God is the Gospel - John Piper). Rules and details can be found at his site.

I can always use a free book - so I am linking to the site with high hopes.
posted by Daniel @ 12:35 PM  
18 Comments:
  • At 2:30 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger Rose~ said…

    I think if you just removed the link to me blog it would be nicer.

     
  • At 4:58 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Rose - I was at first quite perplexed by your comment - not really understanding how I had offended.

    For those of you reading this - you might notice the nice little colored tabs now beside the links - I decided to group my links according to the likeliness of you encountering a theological discussion there - I chose the three middle colors from my header image to identify these groups: red, green, and yellow. If your blog is typically theologically neutral - that is, you don't really spend a lot of time supporting or knocking the doctrines of grace - you got a yellow tab, if you supported Calvinism, a green, and if you did not support Calvinism, a red.

    Now while those colors are just three colors pulled from my header to make the color scheme work - they are also "loaded" because we drive cars - green means go, red means stop, and yellow means caution.

    Now, I liked the green, so I gave that to the Calvinists, and the yellow was a blend - so I gave that to the neutrals, and the red was left over for the non calvinists.

    The only problem is that such a combination is pregnant with implication - green could mean "These sites have Dan's stamp of approval" (as if that was worth anything) - the yellow sites could mean "Dan wants you to be careful here" and the red could be taken to mean "Dan thinks these people are dangerous and bad" or something like that.

    I know, I know - I should have seen that - so when I saw Rose's post up there, I went - huh, and checking myself, I though - hmmm, I should change those colors. and the wording in the legend too. Instead of "more or less neutral" it used to say, "Well understood" - which in hindsight made the final category look rather awful.

    Sorry about that. I changed it, so that it is now showing harmless non-loaded colors.

    I hope that is all that was upsetting. Let me know Rose - I emailed you before I posted this and fixed it, and I hope the celerity with which I have addressed this demonstrated the sincerety of my remorse over having given the wrong impression.

    Dan

     
  • At 6:06 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger marc said…

    Rose you're talking like a pirate... "remove the link to me blog, argghhhh" ;-)

    Daniel,
    Can you make PURGATORIO a light fuscia, or better yet, just check with me each day to see what my mood is and change the color accordingly.

     
  • At 11:15 AM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    marc - perhaps you can set up and atom feed for your moods? Then I can be notified as they change - it saves me having to check. Thx.

     
  • At 5:39 PM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Jeremy Weaver said…

    Blue's not really my color...have anything in a green, red, or yellow?

     
  • At 12:16 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Neil said…

    Hey I'm just pleased that you linked me! Put a skull and crossbones beside if you like (I know Jeremy has considered it).

    But white is ok. I am calvinist (4.97 pointer), but it's not an area of emphasis at my blog.

    Green is great for Rose. I really like her blog, but her picture was more striking when it had the paratroopers in the background.

     
  • At 2:44 PM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    Have I contested the doctrines of grace? Or have you contested me?

    It looks like I'm in good company though.

    God bless,
    Jim

     
  • At 4:27 PM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Jim, are there no derogatory remarks on your blog directed at Calvinism - all in good fun of course, but far from neutral. I would hope that no matter which category you fell into, you would certainly be in good company. ;-)

     
  • At 4:35 PM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    Well, I am glad you don't find me neutral. The gospel is not neutral and I hope that we all are found to be pro-Christ first and foremost.

    Where we stand on some of the minor details can then be approached using mutual respect, patience, and Christ-like love.

    In Christ,
    Jim

     
  • At 7:18 PM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Well said Jim, a perfect reflection of my own thoughts.

     
  • At 11:46 AM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Frank Martens said…

    bah humbug

    I think I need to do a few "where I stand posts" :)

     
  • At 12:28 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    Bring it on Frank! Nothing like a bit of good ole' controversy to stir things up. :)

     
  • At 3:59 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Frank I am in the mood for a good "this is where I am at right now" post!

     
  • At 5:17 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Even So... said…

    I stand about 5'3".

    Oh wait, never mind.

     
  • At 5:40 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    Daniel, is that a 'fro' you're sportin'?

     
  • At 6:08 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Jim - nah, but I guess it sorta looks like it? It is a "fresh-out of-the-shower-hair-combed-back" thing.

    I don't know what I was trying to do with the smile, but it comes off as either patronizingly nice, or just plain wimpy - either way, I thought it was hilarious.

     
  • At 8:37 AM, May 24, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    It kind of makes you look like a cross between a Jamaican and a Puerto Rican from Harlem. :~)

    I don't think everybody is as comfortable as you in changing their appearance so often.

     
  • At 10:22 AM, May 24, 2006, Blogger Frank Martens said…

    Daniel,

    Oh it's coming, so prepare yourself!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.