H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Monday, October 17, 2005
James vs. Jackson
Those of you who frequent the right kind of blogs will have noticed a person calling themselves Rev. James Jackson.

At first his comments were entirely gainsaying - the sort of determined and contrary spirit one might find in someone who is strongly opinionated against some particular thing - certainly such a posture is not uncommon in the blogosphere. But in time, it seemed that every such comment made was equally contrary - that is, unless he was gainsaying something, he wouldn't bother commenting.

It wasn't too long before that well known heraldric motif - "argent, a crown sable" was suddenly inverted: "sable, a grown argent!"

I didn't catch it at first. But as it turns out - this was not our beloved Rev. James Jackson. I would have missed it entirely had the genuine "rev." not pointed it out.

To be sure, my first hint was the inverted icon, but then I noticed that the name was also inverted (Rev. Jackson James instead of James Jackson).

But there was more - the commentary was all wrong - this new, "improved" reverand was not contrary, but all his or her posts were in fact harmonious - instead of disagreeing about everything, he or she seemed most agreeable.

I do confess, the "real" Rev. James Jackson is, in my opinion, most likely a fictional persona intended as a parody of a particular genre of posters. All signs point to this (poor spelling, poor photoshop skills). Which is why (I assume) someone decided to create a secondary Rev. - this time a Rev. Jackson James (white crown, black background). The "other" reverend even created a parody blog mirroring the original - except more or less opposite in every respect.

Apparently this sort of satirical scrutiny was not appreciated by the original "Rev." - who wants to bring the false "Rev." to justice for "identity theft." The counterfeit "Rev." doesn't seem too concerned.

I can't help but be reminded of the bizarro superman - remember he was strengthened by the red sun or something like that?

I would link one way or the other, but I don't want to get involved other than commenting from the sidelines. Is the Rev. genuine?
posted by Daniel @ 2:55 PM  
9 Comments:
  • At 4:48 PM, October 17, 2005, Blogger CSB said…

    That is an accurate account. Dan. But come on give me a link. I gotta keep this jougernaught of a blog moving upward.

     
  • At 5:25 PM, October 17, 2005, Blogger Frank Martens said…

    blah

     
  • At 6:12 PM, October 17, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    Rev - I am hopelessly stingy with my links. I think your site is currently too controversial for me. Perhaps some day - stay with it.

    Frank - well said old man, well said.

     
  • At 8:14 PM, October 17, 2005, Blogger Dan said…

    Yeah, I missed the switcheroo at first as well. I agree that it's simply dry satire, but I have gotten enough of a kick of his site that I added a link for my own convenience. I completely understand those who don't. :-)

    I hate to blow his cover or make accusations, but I believe the two characters to be the same person, and I'm waiting for the gray crowned compromiser Rev. Jackson James Jackson to appear. Regardless, the sad statement of his site is despite how outlandish his posts have been, his readers can see a church in this country acting that way. In spite of his increasing absurdity, new readers take a while to get suspicious.

     
  • At 8:23 PM, October 17, 2005, Blogger Dan said…

    BTW, you have permission to delete my last comment if you think it gives too much away and kills the fun. ;-)

     
  • At 12:01 AM, October 18, 2005, Blogger Michael said…

    Rev, if it makes you feel any better I would give you and your alter egos links on my blog if I updated it enough to generate readership. When I start doing so I'll link to you. :)

     
  • At 12:07 PM, October 18, 2005, Blogger CSB said…

    thanks fish taco. I am thinking about starting a "fundie links" permalink portion to my blog. I will be sure to give you props there.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, October 19, 2005, Blogger Just Kurios said…

    I think that's just plain funny, creating an alter-ego of another blogger.

     
  • At 9:14 AM, October 19, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    I also think it is funny. :-D

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.