H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Thursday, January 14, 2010
But I don't know how to love the Lord...
Do you love your spouse?

Do you love your spouse more today than you have in times past?

Is it not fair to say that you love has a capacity to grow?

If your love has a capacity to grow, doesn't that suggest that it was once less than it is now?

Can we not reason, that at some point in the past, possibly before you knew your spouse, that you actually had no love for your spouse?

If there was a time when you had no love for your spouse, would it not be fair to say that your relationship began without love but grew into it?

Is that not how you came to love your spouse?

Did you not invest yourself in getting to know your spouse?

Did not the love flow from whom you found your spouse to be?

Is infatuation love?

Did the infatuation or attraction that drew you to your spouse turn into love, or would it not be more accurate to say that these drew you to your spouse, but it was not these that caused you to love your spouse, for love is more than infatuation and attraction?

Do you see that while attraction and infatuation make for effective catalysts, that these things by themselves do not constitute love, and that love is certainly possible in the utter absence of these things?

In fact, is is not so that attraction just a carnal opinion bolstered by carnal desire, and is not infatuation the same only less physical?

Isn't it fair then to say that whatever attraction and infatuation might be, they are carnal in origin, and while they may influence whom we choose to love, they do not dictate the same?

If these do not, and cannot dictate whom we love, then isn't it rational and reasonable to conclude that love does not depend on these, especially given that love can be had without these (do you not love your parents? siblings? children?)?

If love then can start from nothing, and grow into something, then grow stronger, and continue to do so; and if you have evidence of this in your own life so that on judgment day these things when they are set before you will be undeniable, and if I have laid them bare here today and you have read this, so that you will be twice condemned, why do you marvel that you do not love God?

Will you not love God if you invest yourself in Him?
posted by Daniel @ 9:03 AM  
8 Comments:
  • At 2:24 PM, January 14, 2010, Blogger JIBBS said…

    Will you not love God if you invest yourself in Him?

    Or perhaps to say it differently, if you do not invest yourself in Him, then you do not love God. That is, I find myself frequently frustrated with my thoughts, my speech, my actions, my attitudes, etc., and occasionally I have the acute sense that I have grieved the Holy Spirit by my foolishness. It is in times like that when I truly wonder if I love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. Honestly, I don't think I have EVER in my life lived up to that high calling. I've been watching a lot of old Keith Green videos on YouTube lately (I know his theology was messed up in the early years, but he still had a lot of good to say) and have been SO convicted of my lukewarmness. With one foot in the kingdom, and the other in the world, I'm convinced the Lord would "spit me out" of his mouth, lest I repent. Please pray the Lord would chasten me and teach me to fear Him in all aspects of my life.

    PS
    Interesting word verification:

    CELESSED

     
  • At 2:53 PM, January 14, 2010, Blogger JIBBS said…

    Oh, and I forgot to add something crucial:

    No Christian should think they are able to fulfill the greatest commandment; it serves to shed light on our sinfulness and drive us to the cross and to the promises of God. Yes, we are all sinful. Yes, God has provided amazing grace for those of us who believe. Yet, that does not give us license to not hate our sin or to neglect contemplating the evils of it. Such can only draw us closer to Christ and love him more.

     
  • At 5:18 PM, January 14, 2010, Blogger Daniel said…

    There isn't a lot to add to that.

    The point I hope people come away with - and in particular, those people who know they are supposed to love God, but are waiting for a feeling to zap them from on high - is that love happens when we invest ourselves.

    We are commanded to love - because we are capable of loving when we set our minds to it.

     
  • At 7:03 PM, January 14, 2010, Blogger donsands said…

    It's easier to care for someone who cares for you. Affection for our Savior is spark that causes obedience, I think. Jesus said, "If you love Me, then you will obey My Word."

    And so if we keep His commandments, then we love Him.

    I remember going to hear George Verwer, the founder of OM, and he confessed that he sinned by being infatuated with another woman. He spoke of it as a man with godly sorrow, and I think hopefully to encourage others who may be tempted.
    First time I ever heard that kind of confession.

    http://www.georgeverwer.com/

     
  • At 7:10 PM, January 14, 2010, Blogger Daniel said…

    Don, we certainly love because we are loved, for as we draw near to God, we learn how profound His love for us is, such that the more we know God, the more we are convinced of His great love for us, and the more inclined we become to trust Him and to love Him, and desire His glory.

    All of which leads us to walk in obedience.

     
  • At 8:31 PM, January 14, 2010, Blogger donsands said…

    Well said Daniel.

    "Could we with ink the ocean fill,
    And were the skies of parchment made,
    Were every stalk on earth a quill,
    And every man a scribe by trade,
    To write the love of God above,
    Would drain the ocean dry.
    Nor could the scroll contain the whole,
    Though stretched from sky to sky."

     
  • At 9:38 PM, January 14, 2010, Blogger JIBBS said…

    Amen, brothers.

    And Daniel, I agree with you completely about the tendency that we all may have to expect God to "zap" us with the ability to love more or on a deeper level. My own experience certainly reveals that, in a variety of ways. Sometimes I wish God would "zap" me with a Spirit filled life where I just live as though I am on fire without even having to work at it. I suppose it is because I am envious of those I know who seem to make it look easy, as if they aren't even trying. But that is not the case. They are working at it. Obedience to the gospel is not easy. It demands our all. I thank God for those in my life who demonstrate what it means to give it.

     
  • At 10:55 PM, January 15, 2010, Blogger JIBBS said…

    I found a pretty good article on the mortification of sin, for anyone that may be interested. It's from the Master's Seminary Journal.

    http://www.tms.edu/tmsj/tmsj5a.pdf

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.