H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Monday, March 09, 2009
Drawing the Wrong Line.
In Greek Mythology, the titan Prometheus tricked Zeus by setting two sacrifices before him, one of which would henceforth be the accepted "sacrifice" to the God's from humans. Prometheus hid the meat of a bullock in the unappetizing stomach of an ox, and set that as one "option". He then took the bones of the same kine, and wrapped them in glistening fat. Zeus looked at the two, and imagining the one to be worthless, and the other valuable, selected the (seemingly) valuable option as the de facto "required" sacrifice from that day forward.

Even though Prometheus and Zeus are just the runaway concoctions of long dead pagan minds, yet as I read that Obama wants to "restore scientific integrity to government decision-making", I was reminded of this bit of paganism.

It wasn't that Zeus was blind, rather it was that he was deceived. He thought he was choosing one thing, but in reality he was choosing another. He looked at the situation, and from his perspective at least, the one choice he was making looked to be the sound, right-headed choice to make. Had he known that the ox stomach contained choice meat, and the glistening fat only bones - he would have chosen differently - but he failed to look beneath the surface, and that failure, though a boon to mankind in Greek mythology - was still a tragically avoidable mistake - at least as it relates to him.

In the same way, I think it is tragic that the US president sees himself as being a champion of scientific integrity, when in fact he is championing his own ethical opinion - and in doing so, he trespasses upon the very thing he imagines himself to be putting away. He is imposing legislation that resonates with his own ethical opinions, just as Bush did - the only difference being, I suppose, that Bush's ethical opinion gave human dignity the benefit of doubt, where Obama's choice (in the name of scientific integrity), well... you know.

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 3:47 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 2:30 PM, March 10, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I do.

     
  • At 3:27 PM, March 10, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    It is good to have at least one discerning reader.

     
  • At 9:11 PM, March 10, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And using tax payer money to further his own ethical opinion. I'm giving to Caesar so he can exploit what is God's while in its most vulnerable state.

    Dear Lord, have mercy on us.

    Jen

     
  • At 7:06 AM, March 11, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    The line that gets me is the restoration of integrity thing.

    Wasn't Josef Mengele a man of scientific integrity? His victims, er, subjects... weren't human embryos, but Jewish prisoners at Auschwitz. Yet both these embryos and the Jews at Auschwitz share this in common, their governments didn't allot to them the rights afforded other humans - they were considered, less than human, and therefore disposable. They regarded experimentation upon them to be ethical, because once you decide they aren't human, you can pretty much do whatever you want in the name of scientific integrity.

    What kills me is that Obama thinks he is restoring things to some previous state - as though the US had always ignored the line between ethics and science, and as though the Bush administration had done something radical and new when it said no to crossing that line.

    The US is so utterly primed for judgment, I shudder to think about how it is going to come.

     
  • At 9:55 AM, March 11, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We'll probably be invaded by Canada. Oh, the humiliation! It'll be litres this and Francais that all over the place, eh.

    Your Mengele reference is so appropriate. We're more subtle, sophisticated, and technologically advanced, but we're doing exactly the same thing.

     
  • At 11:30 AM, March 12, 2009, Blogger Rose~ said…

    Hey, just wanted to share this thought I had about embryonic stem cell abuse.

    But first let me say that your post is good - I think applying pagan myths to this is very appropriate.

    So I was reading this "primer on stem cells" in the local liberal paper this morning. It was saying how 5 days after conception the embryo is called a 'blastocyst' and is hollow, but lined with all these stem cells that have the ability to form many types of tissue. As I looked at the illustration in the paper, the injustice of it all becamse so clear. Those cells belong to that person. They are for his/her use - to make his/her little lungs, bones, hair, eyes, etc... and what Obama is saying is that it is full of integrity for us to steal these raw materials from this little person and use them to make [whatever we deem useful out of them] for other people.

    Rob from one person to give to another.

    This is a theme with liberal politicians!!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.