H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Friday, February 27, 2009
Answering Questions.
Question: Can God create a stone so heavy, even He can't lift it up?

Answer #1
I am pretty sure there were plenty of rocks on earth that Jesus, in His flesh, couldn't lift up.

Answer #2
If our reality is governed by the laws of a universe that God created, it stands to reason that the God who created both the universe and its laws must exist apart from them. It is because God exists apart from the universe and its laws that the question is flawed; since in order to answer the question according to the frame in which it is asked, one must presume (for instance) that the law of gravity is binding on God - as though God were a mere creature bound to the laws of creation like every other creature. If God could be made a creature, then yes, God could create a rock so big that even God as a creature could not lift it. But if God remained a transcendental Spirit, the question is about as coherent as Can God smell the sound of yellow?

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 9:56 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 11:12 PM, February 28, 2009, Blogger mark pierson said…

    Answer #2!

     
  • At 11:27 AM, March 02, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's the best answer to that question I've read.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, March 02, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    That's the best comment I have had concerning the answer so far... lol.

     
  • At 11:27 PM, March 04, 2009, Blogger Strong Tower said…

    Question: Can God contradict himself?

    Two part answer:

    First part. God is purposeful and not capricious.

    Second Part. God cannot deny himself.

    God who knows the end from the beginning has purposed all things in himself and he cannot change so no thing that he does is greater than his own means and ends. Scripture declares that he is God over all, to create that which he would be subject to would be a denial of his deity.

    Next week's question will be on infinity and its limits. Or, what is on the other side of the boundary of the universe seeing that there is one verse and the absolute value of infinity is one which by definition is finite. Or, what is the smallest division of between? Or, does space exist? If so, what is between space and the things it is between? Or, by definition nothing does not exist, what is a hole? Or, if a dragon is slain and no one knows but the knight who slew him how big was the one that got away?

    Netflex.

    This is fun.

     
  • At 7:08 AM, March 05, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    Any argument that begins with, or includes the known universe as a limiting factor on God is an apples and oranges kind of error.

    The question really should be, does scripture describe a God that can contradict himself, and the answer is no. Whenever we try to put the God of scripture into a contradiction, we learn again that the God who defines and creates, cannot be thus boxed.

    It is fun to show people who don't see it how silly these sorts of propositions are.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.