H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Are You As Sad And Geeky As Me?
A quick survey to see if you are as sad a Geek as I am/have been. Give yourself zero points for every [A] answer, one for every [B] answer, two for every [C], and three for every [D].

1. When someone mentions the "fight music" from "Amok Time" you:
[A] Stare blankly at them as though they were speaking another language.
[B] You recognize "Amok Time" as being a Star Trek reference
[C] Like [B], but you know the music
[D] Like [C], but you have the music as the ring tone on your cell right now.

2. When someone asks "Mary-Anne or Ginger?" you:
[A] You wonder whether Mary-Anne is a spice.
[B] You recognize the reference to Gilligan's Island, but have no opinion
[C] Like [B] except you say, "Ginger!"
[D] Like [B] except you say, "Mary-Anne!"

3. Do you know how to "Safety Dance"?
[A] Like with work boots and a hard hat?
[B] I remember the tune, but that's it...
[C] Yeah, I can still do the weird, epileptic hand gestures to this day.
[D] Like [C], only I can do it to Weird Al's "Brady Bunch" and sing along.

4. I used to play a CN FTR-MU-TF:
[A] Is that some kind of musical instrument?
[B] Is that one of those role playing games?
[C] I played Dungeon's and Dragons too, back in the day...
[D] multiclass? Pfffft. Dual class first baby... Ranger to 10th, (for the HP) then Thief till like 16, (you want the quad back-stab; Magic-User till 18 (now that you have the HP), then settle down as a bard for even more HP.

5. 10 OPEN 2,1,0,"D"
[A] Is some cryptic thing I don't understand.
[B] Looks to be a computer instruction.
[C] That's Commodore Basic!
[D] ahhh, sweet memories. That OPENs the commodore 64's cassette drive for reading.

6. "You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike"
[A] these words mean nothing to me. Is that a poem or something?
[B] hmmmm. I think I played a text game once....
[C] Zork - "Colossal Cave Adventure"... I remember it well.
[D] I typed in "Xyzzy" to teleport out of them.

7. Off the top of your head, the value of Pi is:
[A] approximately 3
[B] approximately 3.14
[C] approximately 3.1415
[D] approximately 3.243F (Hexadecimal)

8. True or False: I have used a wire to ground out a pay phone to make a free call
[A] I never ever heard of that.
[B] I didn't think that would work.
[C] I tried it, but never got it to work.
[C] Yeah, and I gave all my friends free phone calls too. Wretch that I was...

9. My favorite subject in High School was:
[A] Drama!
[B] English!
[C] Math!
[D] Physics!

10. Final year of Chemistry in High school:

[A] I didn't take Chemistry.
[B] I failed.
[C] I passed.
[D] I didn't do a stitch of work for the whole year, read the text book cover to cover the night before the exam, walked into exam room the next day and -aced- the exam to get an overall "50" in the course - passing with a "D", and felt quite smug about it afterward.


Now, if you scored 27 or higher, I would say you are pretty sad and geeky. If you scored between 20 and 26, you are probably still sad and geeky, just not as much. If you scored between 10 and 20, you're a little geeky, but really, not impressively so. If you scored less than ten, you probably were dating in high school, and if less than five, you were probably happy too.

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 2:15 PM  
16 Comments:
  • At 3:11 PM, September 18, 2008, Blogger Daniel said…

    I only scored 26 on the test myself...

     
  • At 4:27 PM, September 18, 2008, Blogger David said…

    1. Would you believe I just watched "Amok Time" two nights ago?

    2. Mary Anne. I am quite dogmatic about this one.

    3-6. I have no idea, but 6 sounds like my life.

    7. 3.141592

    8. If only I had known.

    9. English

    10. [A]. I did [D] in freshman English, though, didn't study at all for the final or any other test in that class, and got 100%, which combined with my other test scores, gave me a 70%, which was the minimum passing grade.

    Personally, I don't think "sad" and "geeky" (I object to that term for people with eclectic, esoteric, or otherwise uncommon knowledge) go together.

     
  • At 4:33 PM, September 18, 2008, Blogger David said…

    I guess I scored an 8. I'm giving myself a 4 for 7 because I'm more accurate than any of your choices, and I used to remember more digits.

     
  • At 4:45 PM, September 18, 2008, Blogger Daniel said…

    David, I would give you a four if you knew the value of Pi in say binary, or even the octal system. But the decimal system - it's just too common.

    I have every episode of the original series of Star Trek, and several are on my cell phone...

     
  • At 5:09 PM, September 18, 2008, Blogger Barbara said…

    I scored 9 -

    But only because I know what Pi is. I'm a chick so I preferred the Professor. Always been a writer so Englist/Lit were the way to go. Except for this llth grade English teacher who thought she was teaching compound words to toddlers. And they only offered one chemistry class in high school - so intro was "final year" as far as Chemistry is concerned anyway, and since I went to high school in the 80s and had the big hair with the sprayed-to-the-hilt "wings" and the striped eyeshadow and the big shoulder-pads and the whole nine yards, of course I remember "Safety Dance". And "99 Luft Balloons"...man, we thought synthesizers were totally awesome.....

     
  • At 5:24 PM, September 18, 2008, Blogger Daniel said…

    Barbara - I should have considered the "feminine" as I prepared the survey - I honestly didn't think of it. I would have mentioned leg warmers and Kenny Shields.

     
  • At 7:26 PM, September 18, 2008, Blogger David said…

    As we don't have television, I've been watching Star Trek here.

    I've haven't seen a single episode of "Next Generation." I kind of feel like that would be adulterous.

     
  • At 7:31 PM, September 18, 2008, Blogger David said…

    I still feel sorry for Christine.

     
  • At 7:40 PM, September 18, 2008, Blogger Daniel said…

    I have seen some next gen stuff - and I like Jean Luc Picard - but only him. The rest of it is rather hum-drum.

    I tried the cbs site, but the content for everything was currently unavailable. I must be doing something wrong.

     
  • At 8:53 PM, September 18, 2008, Blogger Daniel said…

    I figured out why I can't get anything from the cbs site. I am in Canada.

     
  • At 9:18 PM, September 18, 2008, Blogger Bryan said…

    If you were a real geek that wouldn't stop you Daniel.

    BTW. That test is a little too bias towards older things I think.

     
  • At 7:29 AM, September 19, 2008, Blogger mark pierson said…

    Would it surprise you if I scored a zero?

     
  • At 7:29 AM, September 19, 2008, Blogger Daniel said…

    Bryan, its true, the test is biased towards older things. I should have added the adjective "old" to the title, that would have helped maybe. ;)

     
  • At 7:32 AM, September 19, 2008, Blogger Daniel said…

    Mark, that wouldn't surprise me ;) You don't strike me as geeky. You seem more ... straight-talking, blue-collar, backbone of the nation sort of guy - and not the sort of sad introvert who would score high on this test... lol.

     
  • At 11:04 AM, September 19, 2008, Blogger David said…

    Daniel, try it again. I have the same problem with that site occasionally.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, September 19, 2008, Blogger Daniel said…

    I will try again later - maybe if I try on say, five separate occasions I can verify by statistical probability whether or not I can actually get any content off the site.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.