H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Monday, April 23, 2007
Starting at 189.
You may have noticed recently that my cycling widget is back in the top right side hand side bar. I stepped on the scale today to see how much damage the winter did to my midsection, and found myself to be 189 lbs. That would be an ideal weight if I were say, 6' 2" - but being 5' 8" I am about 25 or 30 lbs beyond where I need to be. In 2005 I dropped 37 pounds in the summer, and last summer I dropped around twenty - but these cold winters leave little room for exercise, and I put it all back on as soon as the snow starts to fly. I am hoping to hit that magic 165 this year, but really, it is going to be a fair bit of work. I am aiming for my fifteenth anniversary in August. We shall see if it happens or not. I will keep a running tab of the scale in the cycling widget, not unlike Marc's scale over at Purgatorio.

I shaved a path in my beard yesterday just because I thought, if I am going to do before and after pics, I should try at least use the before pic for my avatar - and being something of a comic book fan and a patriot, I wanted something decisively Canadian looking - and nothing says Canadian like a weird, "wolverine" beard. The beard itself was short lived however, since my wife is no fan of weird beards and would never suffer me in public with it - so I shaved it off immediately following the "photo-op".

The pics were taken with my palm pilot, so they are not exactly high quality, but they served the purpose. These are my before shots, at 189 pounds. We shall see what a summer of eating less and exercising regularly will do for me. I will take a couple of after shots in August.

Labels: , ,

posted by Daniel @ 8:05 AM  
13 Comments:
  • At 11:53 AM, April 23, 2007, Blogger Even So... said…

    TIWIARN

     
  • At 12:30 PM, April 23, 2007, Blogger Carla Rolfe said…

    Well then...

    I saw this here last year and thought "I need to do this, and being public about it will help motivate me to do it rather than just think about it".

    So... thanks a lot, it's all your fault.

    I'm going to make a widget for my blog as well and pick up a mileage doohickey at Canadian Tire. ##GULP## now that I've said it, I have to do it, don't I?

    You are such a trouble maker. ;-)

     
  • At 12:51 PM, April 23, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    JD, that's a good a place as any to start!

    Carla, the real motivation happens when the number goes up instead of down...!

    ;-)

     
  • At 2:09 PM, April 23, 2007, Blogger Marcian said…

    That's the reason I bought a trainer for indoor-cycling.

    But what do I know about winters? I live in Texas, after all.

    Good luck with that!!

    (aren't you breaking some international law by mixing SI with English units?)

     
  • At 5:31 PM, April 23, 2007, Blogger Craver Vii said…

    Bro, that look is COOOOL!!!!

    When I shaved my beard off, I made a moustache and goatee for my two youngest kids... a boy and a girl. They went around impersonating me (I left a goatee on myself for the event). Mrs. Craver doesn't like goatees, and made us all "shave;" the only thing that was left was my moustache.

     
  • At 6:01 PM, April 23, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    Craver - finally! Somebody appreciates cool!! Now if only you could convince my wife that it is -not- a mid-life crisis...

    ;-)

     
  • At 12:08 AM, April 24, 2007, Blogger Theteak said…

    Dan, which iconic 80s rock star is that in those photos?

     
  • At 6:21 AM, April 24, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    Teakster - I am pretty sure it is perhaps devo, or maybe Adam Ant.

     
  • At 10:40 AM, April 24, 2007, Blogger mark pierson said…

    Well, I'm only 5'7" and 265 pounds. I guess I have some shedding to do this summer.

     
  • At 10:49 AM, April 24, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    Mark, I suspect that most of that is forearm. ;-)

     
  • At 12:50 PM, April 24, 2007, Blogger mark pierson said…

    I wish!

     
  • At 1:36 AM, April 26, 2007, Blogger Pecadillo said…

    "I suspect that most of that is forearm."

    Dude, Daniel, I've missed you man. That sounds weird considering you haven't been on a hiatus. But I’ve missed your witty comments just the same.

    I like the new goat by the way. So hey, I'm wondering: how often do you ride say per week? And how many miles/kilometers do you go? Do you ride in a mostly flat area or are there a bunch of hills with forest creatures?

     
  • At 9:47 AM, April 26, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    Pec - It is good to be missed, especially if someone is shooting at you.

    I ride about 20 miles a day five days a week - so, about 100 miles a week.

    That usually translates into losing about 2 lbs a week sometimes three. They come off faster at first, then it gets harder as you lose weight, because you actually burn less energy moving a smaller body around than a larger one.

    I live in the prairies, so my entire ride is pretty much flat. I like to go down into the trails by the river when I can, and that means a drop of about fifteen or twenty feet going down, and a rise later when I come out - but really, the rest of the ride is pretty much flat.
    In the summer, along the river, there are often otters and ducks and whatnot, but mostly the ride is free from forest creatures.

    Stop in again man.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.