H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, October 25, 2006
Ten Bloggers...
Here is a list of ten bloggers (in no particular order) whom I read, and what I like about their writing style:

1. Phil Johnson - Phil doesn't only articulate his opinion well, he also gives you the context of that opinion up front (often showing how he came to the opinion through his understanding of scripture.) Phil has an engaging writing style that keeps you interested as you read - I find I can read Phil's posts without skimming.

2. Frank Turk - Frank is consistent, witty, and has a firm grasp on what he wants to say before he says it. He stays on top of what is going on, and he is fairly prolific when he is not on hiatus. He has a wonderful flair - like the cool guy in school that people want to hang around with - you love it when Frank comes and comments on your blog - and you like it when Frank interacts with you in his own meta or anyone elses.

3. Fred Butler
- Long before I started blogging, I used to hang out on a message board that Fred administrated. Fred is one of the most thoughtful and patient people on the internet - his work on King James Only-ism mixes patience with authority, gentleness with truth - he is willing to graciously interact with even the most far out nut-cases if they are willing to come to the table and deal with the facts. His writing style is straightforward and engaging - I like that.

4. Kim Shay - Kim is both prolific and down to earth. She blogs where the rubber-meets-the-road, which means that when you read her blog you are reading her - she is blogging on a very practical level. Theory is nice, but we need concrete application as well - and this is where Kim shines.

5. Steve Hays and Gene Bridges - I wish I could write like these guys. I mean seriously, these guys can paint their thoughts with a clarity that I truly wish I possessed. There is a beauty in saying something well, and these gentleman are able to post that way as a matter of course.

6. Carla Rolfe - Carla (who is --not-- a Canadian!) is another prolific blogger - I can't log into gmail without seeing Carla in my contact list as being "online but busy" - does she ever sleep?? Carla has a wonderful way of blogging - she entwines her love of her family, theology, and the common events of everyday life into a commentary that is fun to read. She is also pretty talented with a camera, and not afraid to use it!

7. JD Hatfield - JD blogs because he wants Christians to grow in their faith. He is prolific and consistent, and seems driven to feed the flock - very few blogs have I found that are as consistently pastoral and godward as Voice of Vision. JD is thoughtful and kind in all his dealings, and his deep love for the Lord comes through not only in his posts but also in his interaction in the meta.

8. Daniel J. Phillips - Daniel strikes me as the classic seminarian. He is a thoughtful writer, a deep thinker, and entirely consistent within his own theology. His confidence is sometimes misunderstood as being severe, but what comes through more than anything else in Daniel's writing is his desire to see the church educated and consistent in its witness to the world. He is clearly no lover of fluff and I like that.

9. Pecadillo - A.K.A. Officer Johnson. Pec is one of those guys who seems to shine the most in other people's meta. The posts on his own blog are usually off the wall and funny for that reason - but his quips in the meta of other people's blogs are just as hilarious. There are some people who can make any conversation the one that you want to be in - Pec is like that.

10. Mark Pierson - or as I like to call him - "Mister" - I still remember the first time I clicked on Mark's profile - and enlarged his picture - I thought, those forearms are massive! Mark is one of those guys who just plain loves the Lord and loves other people. There are some people on the net that you know if you visited their house the conversation would quickly turn to the Lord - I think that is what it would be like visiting Mark. I like the guy, I can't help it!

11. David Kjos - I know I said ten bloggers, but I make an exception for David. I love his wit. I really do - I wish I was witty like that. But there is substance behind David's wit too, and that is really saying something. David is genuine and beneath the witty exterior is a real God loving soul that desires God's glory in his own life. I admire that much-ly.

*UPDATE*
12. Joanna Martens - every now and again I visit Joanna's blog, partly because she is witty and funny, but mostly because she changes her avatar a lot.


Anyway, if you haven't checked out these guys (or gals) don't take my word for it - make a point of checking them out. I could have made this list quite long, so I apologize if I made anyone feel left out by not including them in the list - really, I could write an entry for every blog I read, but the post would be rather long, and you would probably skim most of it anyway.
posted by Daniel @ 11:38 AM  
9 Comments:
  • At 10:12 PM, October 25, 2006, Blogger Even So... said…

    Bless you, friend. I would agree with you on those I do visit and/or frequent, and I will visit the others I haven't yet been to...your recommendation of them holds serious weight with me...

     
  • At 8:12 AM, October 26, 2006, Blogger Fred Butler said…

    Wow brother,
    I am genuinely humbled and honored all at the same time.
    I never administrated a discussion group, but I participated in a handful: The Highway, some Baptist group moderated by Sam Hughley (I think that was his name) and occasionally on Scott McClare's KJV only discussion board. Which one were you a regular?

    Fred

     
  • At 9:17 AM, October 26, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Fred - Sam's Board ("Baptist Board" or something like that) - You weren't an admin? My bad! I first remember your name from there at least, later I found your blog. You were one of the few level headed people on the board - I must have assumed therefore that you were at least a moderator or something. Lol!

     
  • At 5:43 PM, October 26, 2006, Blogger Frank Martens said…

    Hehe it was actually because Phil started listing blogs in his bookmark list that I even first heard what a "blog" was. Which was early early 2005.

    I suppose that says alot about what I know :).

     
  • At 12:04 AM, October 28, 2006, Blogger Pecadillo said…

    I'm truly touched. And not one mention of the C-train, take THAT C-train!

     
  • At 1:34 AM, October 28, 2006, Blogger Aspiring Girl said…

    I didn't make the list?? Cheap.

     
  • At 2:27 PM, October 30, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Ha! I updated the post and put you in the list...take that Joanna!

     
  • At 5:15 PM, October 31, 2006, Blogger Carla Rolfe said…

    That was really nice of you to include me on this list.

    I assume the payment cleared then?
    :o)

     
  • At 7:34 PM, December 07, 2006, Blogger Aspiring Girl said…

    "witty and funny"...i like it. Dan- you get 10 points and a gold star.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.