H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Friday, January 27, 2006
The Nautilus Machine

This is called a Nautilus NT-CC1 Smith Machine, and yesterday I became the humble owner of one.

For those of you who have been with me for a while, you will recall that I took up cycling last year, and through cycling to work (15K one way) and changing my eating habits I lost about 35 pounds or so. When the snow began to fall, my cycling came to an end for this season, at least until April or May.

Don't get me wrong, desk jobs are great, but... they tend to produce an undesirable body format. So my plan was that come winter (that is, September or October here in Canada) I would start a weight training program. Nothing special mind you - really, I would love a six pack and buff-ness, but who am I kidding? All I really want is a few more pounds of muscle to stave off the loose joints and flubbery of middle age. Sitting in one place all day lends itself well to atrophy, and unless I combat it with radical moderate weight training, it is probably just going to get worse.

So for the price of a temporal membership at a gym, I purchased the behemoth above. I will be assembling it tonight (possibly) or tomorrow. It looks just like the picture, and the reviews I have read on it were all pretty good.

More news as it comes.



posted by Daniel @ 9:58 AM  
12 Comments:
  • At 2:48 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Frank Martens said…

    I've been working out for the last two years and I couldn't believe what a difference it made.

    I didn't need weight, but needed muscle and just more energy and it really helps with raising the energy level.

    Glad to see you are sticking to it.

    Cheers
    -Frank

     
  • At 3:07 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    Well, I hope you can still speak humbly after hulking up. That should help with your fist pounding stirring sermons! ;~)

    Sorry, I'll try to keep the drool off. I think I can safely say that any guy could find room for one of those puppies in his basement.

    Just don't let it collect dust!

     
  • At 3:16 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    How can it collect dust if I use it to hang jackets on? ;-D

     
  • At 4:21 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Rose~ said…

    New avatar! New avatar!

     
  • At 3:06 PM, January 28, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    I haven't switched per se, I started riding to lose fat, and I am starting weight training to gain muscle. I haven't switched from one exercise to another, so much as I am moving from fat loss to muscle gain. It takes a great deal of work to get buff, and I am not going to do a great deal of work ;-)

    I might get a stationary trainer yet, but that'll be when I start riding for cardio, maybe next season or something.

     
  • At 3:07 PM, January 28, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Rose - I have been sitting on this avatar for a while now haven't I?

     
  • At 3:10 PM, January 28, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    There - How is that?

     
  • At 4:55 PM, January 28, 2006, Blogger Rose~ said…

    Those look like two different people. Amazing.

     
  • At 11:07 PM, January 28, 2006, Blogger Dan said…

    I've got the same issue. The winter has reduced my jogging down to zero, and the effects of my desk job are taking a toll. I can't wait for spring!

    By the way, Nautilus makes that contraption (and the Bowflex) in the building next door to where I work.

    I think the machine could be improved by adding adjustable close rods and a hamper attachment. ;-)

    Have fun!

     
  • At 10:33 AM, January 30, 2006, Blogger Jonathan Moorhead said…

    Have you seen the before and after pictures of James White? Weights have really bulked that dude up!

    P.S.- when is that guy in the picture going to give birth?

     
  • At 9:57 PM, February 23, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I also have the nautilus NT_CC1, do u have any idea what the bar wieght is? It is not in the book I have

     
  • At 10:12 PM, February 23, 2011, Blogger Daniel said…

    It is either 40 or 25 lbs. I can't remember which.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.