H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, January 25, 2006
Death ...and dying in America.
I was reading today on Challies.com something Tim had written a few years back regarding a discussion he and his son had about death and dying. In reading it, I was reminded of the way death is swept under the rug in North America.

In our modern culture, we go out of our way to avoid seeing people die. Most of the people we find at the funeral weren't at the bedside - but could have been. It is the way we have been culturally programmed - death is a private thing, and we ought not to intrude upon it. Death has moved behind the curtain; out of sight out of mind is the American motto when it comes to leaving this world.

If hiding our dying people were not crippling enough, we tend to medicate people who are dying - such that it is a very rare thing these days to die lucid. Most of us (unless we dictate otherwise beforehand) can expect to be zonked out of our tree when we die - unable to put two words together. Dying can be a noisy affair after all, and junking someone up makes it look more "peaceful" since they aren't screaming in fear and/or agony.

Nowadays we read accounts of death such as "Passed peacefully" or "left quietly" etc. We don't often read accounts anymore such as:
...he rose suddenly and opening his eyes, he seemed to fix them on some distant object, and half rising from his bed he shouted with uncommon strength, 'GLORY! GLORY! I SEE THE KING! Then the spirit left him, and he settled back into his bed, leaving behind that contented and even smiling shell that had once held him."


Likewise, we don't often read in the paper the other kind of accounts - the sinners desperately but ineffectively trying to find God as the clock strikes the final hour. Blasphemous cursing, wide eyed fear, visions of hell and torment. We don't see that because we immediately hide the passing behind a curtain, and thereafter, behind a soothingly quiet chemical lobotomy.

What a bizarre thing that is. I often wonder if we do these things because we are so afraid of death, or rather in order to make people more afraid of death. I confess, I am inclined to think it is by design and not accidental.

Anyway - that is just my take on it. I personally want to be lucid when I go, and I want to be at the bedside if I am planning on going to go to the funeral.

posted by Daniel @ 12:20 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 2:39 PM, January 25, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    Reminds me of Brave New World, required reading in highschool. There is a definite shift to making all of life as painless as possible. We are subliminally bombarded each day with messages that say - this is all there is - so enjoy to the uttermost.

    Good thoughts...

     
  • At 5:08 PM, January 26, 2006, Blogger Stephanie said…

    it is snowing

     
  • At 11:48 PM, January 26, 2006, Blogger Antonio said…

    I just want to make a link, for i want everyone to see Evan May not know how to respond:

    Evan May, apologist extrordinaire, on the ropes

    Antonio

     
  • At 7:35 AM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Perhaps it is just my bias, but it is you who seems to be taking the beating Antonio - and worse because you seem quite unaware of the fact.

    Evan's approach was quite even handed. It was enough for him to say that throughout the history of bible translation no committee has failed to neglect your peculiar translational skew. It leaves me to believe that you do not actually read Greek per se, but have only a smattering of knowledge - that is, just enough to develop such a queer take on the text, but not enough to realize it is wrong.

    Thus, when I read this (especially having read the first article) it doesn't appear to me that Evan is on the ropes at all - but rather that you are cluelessly receiving a large can of exegetical "whup butt"

    I confess Antonio, you seem sooo over the top sometimes I am half convinced that you're just an outrageous hoaxster carrying on a "free grace zealout" parody!

    I really do *love* your zeal Antonio, you love the Lord and that has clout with me. Don't ever change (...except for this bad free-grace theology stuff ;-))!

     
  • At 10:12 AM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    Daniel, I would love to hear your take on exactly what you feel the "heretical" teachings of the Free-Grace doctrines are? This terminology is somewhat new to me, but I must confess I find it to be quite Biblical overall.

    Maybe I am missing some issues here?

     
  • At 10:14 AM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Jim, I will email you!

     
  • At 8:41 PM, January 28, 2006, Blogger Antonio said…

    Hey Daniel, I just posted a new commentary in my James series that deals with linguistical arguments that Evan May chooses not to address. Maybe you would like to read it for yourself.

    Antonio

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.