H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Sunday, September 18, 2005
Unwilling Christians.
Nothing saps the strength out of a believer like seeing another believer miss the boat.

You know, they are like kids seeing how close they can get to the edge of the train platform without actually getting hit by the train. Can I drink if I don't get drunk? Can I get a tattoo if it is a christian tattoo? Can I flirt with the devil if I don't date him?

It really wears me down when a believer wants to debate their "liberty in Christ" - they begin by asking if it is okay to do such and such - and they don't like the answer you give them back - that being that it ought not to be in your heart to see how close you can get to sinning - but that the heart that loves Christ is supposed to be fleeing from sin and anything that looks or smells like it.

But so many hearts are in love with the world, that they call you a fool and make fun of you if you don't agree with their ever increasing permissive Christianity.

I say - if you have to ask - don't do it. Period.
posted by Daniel @ 3:47 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 10:50 PM, September 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amen, brother...keep on preaching it! You are RIGHT on! You know, I think we see many who really want to miss hell(and who doesn't) and that must be their main motivation. When you read the WHOLE of scripture, you come up with a whole different concept of how to please God...and if we REALLY love Him, shouldn't our main desire be to please HIM? I mean, if we love our spouse, we want to please them...so how is it different? But then many are called, few chosen...we see that more and more and more...cause really there is nothing about me and my hubby that makes us worthy of the things HE has done for us and the way HE has opened our blind eyes in recent years. NOTHING...all our righteousness is as filthy rags. But do we ever know what you are talking about...and how no one REALLY wants the right answer! But there is a remnant, as there always has been and may we be in that camp ALWAYS!! Blessings...
    Elizabeth

     
  • At 11:15 PM, September 18, 2005, Blogger Bryan said…

    There is a simple answer to this given by Augustine long ago Daniel; "Love God and do whatever you please." If people understand that there would be no problem.

    Bryan
    SDG

     
  • At 7:47 AM, September 19, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    You're right Elizabeth, reading the WHOLE of scripture has far more impact than reading a thousand books about scripture. One great problem we see in the world today is this new breed of "technical" Christians - they are experts at parroting the opinions of godly men, but children in their faith. They speak what they do not know - clouds that lack rain. It makes me sad, but it gives me something to pray about too.

     
  • At 7:50 AM, September 19, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    I think Augustine's answer is "deceptively" simple - in that it is absolutely correct, if you understand what he is saying.

    David said something similar in the psalms when asking God to put desires into his heart - when you read it in the flesh it says, "Give me what I want" and when you read it in the spirit it says, "make me want what you will" - likewise, here, Augustine is saying the truth - Love God, because when you really love God you aren't going to be going about seeing how close you can get to sinning without actually crossing the line. That sort of silliness is reserved for people who love themselves and like Balaam before them, they want to "be spiritual" without actually having to be spiritual.

     
  • At 10:49 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger Dan said…

    Good post. We should not be treating the Bible like a lawyer looking for loopholes in the law.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.