H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Thursday, July 28, 2005
You ever have one of those days?
Have you ever had one of those days where you are riding your mountain bike home after a long day at work, and some lady drives her van into you?

Me too, yesterday.

First, let me say, that if you have to be nailed by a motor vehicle while riding your bike, mini vans are the way to go.

I should mention that the accident falls perfectly in line with God's will for my life. As an avid cyclist (I have over 1000 miles put on this summer), I am often tempted to behave as other cyclist on the road - that is, I prefer to slow down for stop signs, rather than come to a complete stop - and on occasion have even sailed through a four way stop sign when I see that no cars are there. I have been under conviction about this, and have been making a point to stop for every stop sign - no matter how inconvenient and arresting to my momentum it may be.

As it happens the accident took place in an intersection - I was traveling eastbound and she was traveling southbound, wanting to turn west (right) on her red light. Her attention was therefore on the westbound traffic, and she didn't see me. She was slowing down as she was approaching the intersection (having a red light), and looked as though she saw me, so I rode into the intersection to cross the street. At that moment there was a break in traffic, and she determined it was a good time to make her right turn. Splat!

It was over in less than a heartbeat. The impact took me on the left shoulder, forearm/elbow, ribs, and thigh, and striking all places at once, the force of the impact was thankfully spread out enough that I didn't break any bones. I was up and on my feet before the driver was out of her van. She was far more worried that I was, but I assured her that I was fine. The bike took it harder than I did, I will likely have to replace some parts on it.

Now, had I been a little more attentive to the conviction of the Lord, this would not have happened. I know that legally I should not be on the sidewalk - but as it is one of the "non-enforced" laws I was ignoring it - having convinced myself that it was okay (in hindsight I marvel that I could suffer myself to be so deceived on this point). So when it happened, I immediately understood that as many as God loves he chastens and rebukes.

When the Lord puts his hand on you for correction - you just know it. All you who have been so corrected will testify - the world might say this or that was chance - but you know deep in your innermost self that God has allowed this very thing to get your attention.

So I couldn't help but praise and thank God for it! Here I was -a sinner- and God who lovingingly had given me ample conviction (which I allowed myself to ignore) in His profound mercy allowed me to reap some of what I was sowing. Did I learn my lesson? The goodness of God leads a man to repent - I rode to work this morning, and I stopped everywhere I was supposed to.

Praise the Lord!
posted by Daniel @ 8:41 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 11:25 AM, July 28, 2005, Blogger Bryan said…

    You know only Tuesday me and Dan F were wondering to each other while we were roller-skating what it would feel like to get hit by a car. This is a timely answer ;)

    Bryan
    Mafia Boss

     
  • At 1:50 PM, July 28, 2005, Blogger Daniel said…

    It was pretty fun really, I know that sounds crazy, but it was. I was just sailing through the air after being bounced off the grill - but for a scape here and some bruising, I am fine - and even these didn't hurt yet at the time.

     
  • At 4:33 PM, July 28, 2005, Blogger Bryan said…

    Now did you have enough sense left to attempt to hit the ground as you were trained to when you took martial arts?

    Bryan
    Mafia Boss

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.