H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Saturday, July 04, 2009
Struggling With Unbiblical Expectations...
When an adult turns to Christ and away from the errors of this life, they come into saving faith with a lot of baggage, and (typically) a very confused image of what Christianity is supposed to look like.

Their understanding of what is "good" is all messed up by humanistic and secular moralism. Their understanding of God is colored by the things they have learned about God while under the (sole) influence of worldly thinking. How many times have you cringed when a Christian leader has a horrible public scandal? ...they immediately doubt the authenticity of their faith, rather than the authenticity of their supposition How many times have you heard the "golden rule"? How many times have you seen nominal Christians fight like cats and dogs over trivial things, and in doing so shaming that great name that they co-opt for themselves? Frankly, when a worldly comes in out of the rain, as it were, they are soaking wet, and there is a struggle in their faith at first as they have to unlearn all the bogus things that they have come to expect from Christianity and imagine Christianity to be.

What happens when a new Christian is expecting some sort of Christian experience to happen and it doesn't? Let me tell you what happens - they immediately doubt the authenticity of their faith, rather than the authenticity of their supposition. They assume that something is wrong with them because they pray that God heals the sick and raises the dead, and it doesn't happen. They think something is wrong with them because they can't understand foreign languages, or even hear a voice in their head like they assume others do.

When I first came to Christ I thought I could heal people if my faith was right. I was quite surprised, and a little ashamed when I couldn't do it, and I thought there must be something wrong with my faith. Maybe I am not a REAL™ Christian? Then I would toil of how I could be sure I was really, really saved... That is what immaturity looks like. It includes a lot of confusion about what Christianity is supposed to be like, and when our experience differs from our expectation, we immediately presume the problem in in our faith and not in our expectation.

You who are older in the Lord, it is good for you to remember how that worked, and how long it took (and still takes for some of you) to deal with that - to come to the place where you depend on the God of scripture rather than the pop culture version of God that is infiltrating every aspect of the media driven, Christian religion. Remember to gentle with those who are sensitive to their faith - it isn't meant to be a burden to you to help others who struggle, it is meant as a blessing, for in imparting what God has shown you, you are reminded again how far you have come, and how great your Master in heaven is to you.

Grace to you, little ones.

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 12:35 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 3:22 PM, July 06, 2009, Blogger Jim said…

    I have a feeling we really don't know the full extent of the humanistic and secular worldview we brought into our Christian walk.

    But if we are faithful to obey the little things, the Lord will show us more and more and we will have the capacity to handle it.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.