H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Eugene Maurice Orowitz...
He was my favorite actor on Little House on the Prairie. You probably don't recognize his name however, since he changed it to "Michael Landon". But this post isn't about him, I mention him only because he changed a clumsy name into a more mainstream name. I guess the networks felt it was more marketable.

Who am I to argue marketing? I say, this post isn't about Eugene, it is about changing ones name in order to market oneself. You see, I plan to write a book, about how the OT dietary laws do not apply to Christians - that pork and whatnot are no longer "unclean" - yet even before I do, I am certain that my name is too clumsy to sell a book. So I am going to use a pen name.

Now, I know, I know - you have your opinions about such things, but hear me out, as I have put a lot of thought into this. I need a name that bespeaks knowledge and authority. I plan therefore to buy a doctorate of philosophy off one of those Internet schools, thus I can present my writings under the title "doctor" - and, because I want to appeal to the pagan culture, I have chosen the name of a Greek deity (small "d") to bolster the magnitude of my authority.

I expect that soon after it is published, my status and dignity in the academic community shall increase. Please buy and read my book when I publish it:

Clean Eggs and Ham
by Dr. Zeus.

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 9:32 AM  
12 Comments:
  • At 9:55 AM, January 13, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    Just kidding of course. I have no interest in dietary laws, I just thought Dr. Zeus would be a ridiculous pen name.

    Trivia: Doctor Seuss wasn't a doctor and his last name wasn't Seuss (that was his middle name and his mother's maiden name - and it rhymed with "Joyce" rather than "juice")

     
  • At 11:45 AM, January 13, 2009, Blogger Frank Martens said…

    My mom changed her name... but not for marketable reasons. Because she was bitter about the name she had and wanted a name that her mom wanted to call her (but her dad insisted on "Wanda" instead)... I think she changed it cause she was/is bitter at her dad. It's also important to note she changed it after she cheated on my dad and soon divorced him.

    Two different reasons... but I gotta say... changing ones name (other then for the reason of marriage for women) is like smacking God in the face and saying... "I don't like this name you've given me through my parents, so therefore I'm going to (ignorantly lie to myself) show who's running what around here."

    I think when those people get to heaven God is going to call them by the name they were given at birth.

     
  • At 11:54 AM, January 13, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    How much moreso Frank, those who "change" gender.

     
  • At 11:56 AM, January 13, 2009, Blogger Frank Martens said…

    DUDE!

     
  • At 12:24 PM, January 13, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    It reels my mind to think of the shame that awaits some.

     
  • At 1:50 PM, January 13, 2009, Blogger Frank Martens said…

    For them... this is as good as it gets.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, January 14, 2009, Blogger David said…

    I've been pronouncing "Seuss" wrong all these years. My shame is more than I can bear.

    John Wayne's birth name was "Marion." I don't think any less of him for changing it.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, January 15, 2009, Blogger Rose~ said…

    hahaha - You're a funny guy!!

    So is David "Chos" :~)

    Oh, and Frank Martens - I haven't seen that name around in a long time. He was the nice guy that helped me when I first started blogging (I think in concert with yourself) get-a-goin on my blog template when I couldn't even figure out how to change the title!

     
  • At 12:27 PM, January 15, 2009, Blogger Unknown said…

    I've been reading your blog inconsistently for several months and just realized - I don't know your last name... by design?

     
  • At 2:16 PM, January 15, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    Rose - I try to be.

    Bob; My last name is van de Laar, which is no big secret, as my email address included on this page and again in my profile, includes it.

    Originally I didn't include my last name "by design" - but one must understand the initial purpose for which I began the blog - which was just to prove a point. One young fellow I was ministering to/with in 2005 started a blog, and within a week was "blogspotted" by Phil Johnson, on his original, and (at the time) new blog. To quell the comradship provoking "fame by association" gloating that was taking place, I began this blog, and was immediately blogspotted by Phil twice.

    I was by no means new to the medium, having had a blog long before this one, and again, having been a regular on several evangelical message boards. I had quit my first blog only because I had been using it as a personal journal, and didn't know that people I knew were reading it - such that I offended some of the people I know in publicly working out my opinions on matters that were not quite so anonymous as I imagined.

    So after I had created this blog, I began to see that, just as on several message boards, there are many believers in the blogosphere who stand to be edified, however greatly or minutely, by discussing and expositing the fundamentals of Christian faith, and so I kept it up "as is".

    That's the first reason why my name isn't out there.

    The second would be a fear of man - not that I am knowingly afraid, per se - but that in hindsight I imagine that part of my decision in the early days was influenced by some concern that anonymity was "safer".

    The third reason is pride, both good, and bad; meaning that my pride doesn't want to put my name reputation on the line in case I really, really mess up - and again, the other part of me knows that if by God's grace something of what I do is used by God to edify - then I will want to take credit for that - and have my own reputation bolstered. Sort of a two edged sword there. I want to protect myself from the temptation of good publicity but I also want to protect my ego against bad publicity.

    Day in and day out however, I see no real benefit to the blog in adding my name to it. I am not entirely anonymous, nor am I entirely forth coming, and I have been content to leave it that way.

    If that answers your question.

     
  • At 3:00 PM, January 15, 2009, Blogger David said…

    Don't let Daniel snow you. He's actually on the run from the law.

     
  • At 12:03 PM, January 16, 2009, Blogger Unknown said…

    So it's van de Laar, then. Thanks!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.