H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Daniel's quick Grammar test
Without using the internet to find the answers, see how well you do:

[1] What is the difference between a phrase and a clause?

[2] What is a predicate?

[3] Adjective is to noun as ___________ is to verb?

[4] What is the definite article?

[5] A conjunction is to a clause what a __________ is to a phrase?

[6] What kind of word is the indefinite article? (noun? verb? etc.)

[7] In English, what is the difference between an active and a passive sentence?

[8] What is the difference between a conjugation and a declension?

[9] What is the second person plural form of "I"?

There, that should be enough for today. An uneven nine. I have written the answers below in white, so after you have taken a stab at them you can highlight the "invisible" answers below to see how well you did.


[1] A clause is a group of related words that includes a verb, a phrase is a group of related words that does not contain a verb.

[2] In a sentence, the predicate tells us what the subject is or is doing. In the sentence, to use a classic, "Mr. Morton walked down the street" - the predicate is "walked down the street" - it describes what the subject is or what the subject is doing, including any verbs, objects, or phrases that are governed by the verb. (thanks David for the correction).

[3] an adverb

[4] "the"

[5] "preposition". This isn't a hard and fast rule by the way.

[6] The indefinite article "a" as well as the definite article "the" are both adjectives.

[7] In an active sentence the subject "verbs" the object, in a passive sentence the subject is being "verbed by" the object. Active: Dan throws the ball. Passive: The ball is thrown by Dan.

[8] A conjunction tells us how a verb's form changes depending on the person (first, second, or third) and the number (singular or plural). The irregular verb "I am" in English becomes "you are" in the second person singular, "he/she/it was" in the third person, etc. That would be the conjugation of the irregular verb "I am". Declension tells us how a noun changes form according to its case. In English, most nouns, when used in the plural, simply add an "s" but some words, such as child and mouse, change their form entirely in the plural (children, mice). The various forms of the same noun are called its declension.

[9] you (all).


There. I hope that gave you five minutes of distraction.

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 6:26 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 10:59 AM, November 19, 2008, Blogger David said…

    Now, that was fun (even though I did poorly).

    I think your definition of "predicate" is correct, but your example is not. I think the predicate in your sentence is "walked down the street."

    I have a question for you, though: wouldn't it be correct to say that a passive sentence has no predicate? Or can the predicate describe the action of the object, as well?

     
  • At 12:17 PM, November 19, 2008, Blogger Daniel said…

    David, you are correct, the predicate would be, "walked down the street" - sigh, I had the school house rocks song in my head, which didn't help when you're on auto-pilot.

    I will fix the answer, and thanks.

    As to your question,

    I don't think the predicate can be used to describe the action of the object, since the object is typically included in the predicate.

     
  • At 5:32 PM, November 19, 2008, Blogger David said…

    I always thought a sentence had to contain a subject and predicate, but when you brought up the active/passive sentence question, I had to think about it.

     
  • At 7:05 AM, November 21, 2008, Blogger mark pierson said…

    It gave me 5 minutes of memories of how bad I was in school at all this - but then I am "bluecollar". :-)

     
  • At 12:24 PM, November 21, 2008, Blogger Kim said…

    Oh you have made my day, indeed. To see someone else talk about grammar.

    I didn't have a good answer for the difference between a conjugation and a declension. I just know that we conjugate nouns and decline verbs.

     
  • At 12:25 PM, November 21, 2008, Blogger Kim said…

    oops, that was the other way around.... my bad.

    it's been a while since I did Latin.

     
  • At 8:53 AM, November 22, 2008, Blogger jazzycat said…

    What can I say, I'm from the South! Ya'll have a good day now, ye hea...h.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.