H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Monday, February 26, 2007
The Sky Is Falling!
The Sky Is Falling!
My assumption is that if I wanted to convince a person that the sky was falling, I would be more successful trying to convince a man born blind of this idea than I would be trying to convince someone who is currently able to see for themselves.

That isn't to suggest that being born blind makes you gullible - rather it is to suggest that being born blind you have no direct frame of reference to objectively affirm (or deny) whether the sky is in fact falling. Given this want of personal, objective evidence, you would simply be inclined to assume the whatever opinion is most common - and we tend to regard commonly held opinions as being correct, and we even give them the label "common knowledge".


If a man who was born blind begins to hear from everyone that the sky is falling, even if he was formerly convinced that the sky cannot fall - yet if he began to hear that the sky was falling, he may well begin to believe it - if enough people make the claim. Thus, anyone who wants to convince a blind man that the sky is falling needs only to inundate him with that message until he begins to believe it.


But the sighted man isn't going to be convinced that the sky is falling even if a multitude of voices makes the claim in his ear - he sees for himself that the sky is not falling, and is convinced by his own experience. The only way to convince a sighted man that the sky is falling is to convince him that his evidence has no value, and the method for doing so is the same method used against the blind fellow - inundate him with the message, and if he is susceptible to that sort of intellectual tomfoolery - you can convince even him that the sky is falling.

But there are some people that you cannot convince - those who see the sky standing firm with their own eyes, and who are not swayed by an ocean of public opinion to the contrary.

I am of course referring now to the recent, highly sensational claims that the tomb of Jesus Christ has been found.

I suppose this is to be expected, and that worse is coming - but I still stand in awe of the magnitude of such a delusion. It is simply magnificent to see first hand that when God says, "eyes that cannot see" he isn't whistling dixie. Blind leading the blind - wow.
posted by Daniel @ 11:53 AM  
9 Comments:
  • At 3:48 PM, February 26, 2007, Blogger Jim said…

    My feelings on this news are somewhere between complete disgust and total disinterest. That it should even warrant my attention is questionable.

    However, it does show that the enemies of God do not stop their foolish attempts at deceiving the nations and slandering the most High.

     
  • At 5:31 PM, February 26, 2007, Blogger Craver Vii said…

    I agree with Jim.

     
  • At 8:10 PM, February 26, 2007, Blogger Even So... said…

    Men loved the darkness because their deeds were evil...

     
  • At 1:26 AM, February 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think we should take interest in this because we should "contend earnestly for the faith". The apostle Paul in I Cor and I and II Thess combated errant teaching about the resurrection within the church. My concern is that if we don't provide reasons why this is so fallacious, that "baby" Christians might believe there is some merit to this, and have "their faith" dashed. We need to repsond to this nonsense as the church of Christ. Ben Witherington and Darrel Bock, amongst others, have provided some good responses. Actually I'm kind of excited about this development, because I know folks at work will be asking me about the resurrection, a wonderful springboard--doesn't the "enemy" ever learn ;~).

     
  • At 10:33 AM, February 27, 2007, Blogger Stefan Ewing said…

    There's a good debunking of this whole fiasco at http://christopherbutler.wordpress.com/ . The "evidence" is, of course, so laughably flimsy that even archaeologists who have no apologetical axe to grind think it's ridiculous. I agree with Bobby Grow that things like this need to be addressed, though, to help those who are weak in faith. A long time ago, long before I was saved, I had gotten into a fairly religious period of my life, praying, reading the Bible, and attending church regularly. All it took was reading a couple of chapters from one of Joseph Campbell's books—one that focused on Judaism and Christianity—to show just how immature my faith was, and to turn almost completely away from God. I couldn't even see what was fallacious in his reasoning, and for whatever might have been valid or plausible, I didn't have the maturity to assimilate it into my faith.

    Unfortunately, modern-day, hyped-up, pop culture nonsense like the 27-year-old "discovery" of this tomb (with laughably flimsy evidence), the so-called "authenticity" of the Gnostic Gospels (written well after the canonical literature), or The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail (which it turns out was based on an elaborate 20th-century French hoax) has the power to challenge the faith of people who are not sufficiently exposed to or aware of intelligent* Christian responses to these claims. (*Intelligent, as in not just claiming these things are blasphemous—or is that just what the book publishers claim that Christians say about their crap?—but pointing out that they're hopelessly wrong and why.)

     
  • At 10:40 AM, February 27, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    I agree with everyone - this is ridiculous, nevertheless, it can certainly hinder the weak.

    It is also an excellent opportunity to share the truth whenever this comes up.

     
  • At 12:26 PM, February 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This will bring joy to the atheists who hate God and desire nothing more than yet another reason to deny his existence- and pursue their own desires.

    -J. Kaiser

     
  • At 1:56 PM, February 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's another weak and feeble attempt by the enemy, who didn't get it right in Matthew 28 and who has never gotten it right - all in order to bring deception to this world! Let's continue to proclaim the truth and trust God to enlighten peoples minds!

     
  • At 10:33 AM, February 28, 2007, Blogger Fred Butler said…

    Like I posted over at Jeff Downs site, this whole thing I believe will quickly become the Alien Autopsy film for atheists. You could probably throw in the moon hoax documentary as well.

    Fred

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.