H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Engendered Truth
Imagine, if you will, a man who (after watching Peter Jackson's rendition of "the Lord of the Rings") so identifies with the elven character of Legolas, that he begins to believe himself to be an elf trapped in a human body.

Now imagine that this person is so obsessed with the notion that he was born an elf in a humans body, that he contracts a plastic surgeon to surgically alter his ears to resemble the (pointy) ears of a Tolkien elf.

Now imagine that after the successful surgery, his ears are pointy, and because he looks more like an elf than he used to, he begins to expect that everyone else has to agree with him, that he is now an elf. Perhaps he goes so far as to refuse to use "human" restrooms, and wants society to build "Elven" restrooms for himself.

Question: Is the man now an elf?

Question (the follow up): Is mankind obligated by either this man's "ear reassignment" surgery, or this man's own personal conviction that he is an elf, I say, is mankind obligated to agree with this man? Should mankind now think of this man as an elf?

My Opinion: Personally, I think the answer is no. No one becomes obligated to refer to another person as anything other than what they are, even if they have undergone surgery to make them look or (superficially) function otherwise.
posted by Daniel @ 10:35 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 10:23 AM, December 21, 2011, Blogger mark pierson said…

    My question is, concerning those who do go through with "ear reassignment", is the way of repentance now permanently closed to them? Can they repent?

     
  • At 10:26 AM, December 21, 2011, Blogger Daniel said…

    Can a man who has committed murder repent? Certainly, he can repent; he can cannot restore, but he can repent.

    I expect that repentance, in the case of those who have already undergone radical ear reassignment, would not mean trying to unbotch their botched ears, but rather living out the rest of their lives as an earnich (like a eunich, only with ears).

     
  • At 6:12 PM, December 22, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Unless you live in a city like Gainesville, Florida, where it's the law that elves may enter non-elvish public restrooms. My non-elfin daughter and I are wary when entering such places now.

    Story here: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478924,00.html

     
  • At 6:20 AM, December 23, 2011, Blogger Daniel said…

    Wow. Anon, that’s something.

    Gender distinctions, while obfuscated by surgical augmentation never the less cannot undo one’s biology. If you have a Y chromosome going into the surgery, you have one when you come out, and you should be using the washroom that has been set aside for people with Y chromosomes. If you lack the Y chromosome before the surgery, you will lack it after the surgery, and you should be using the X only washroom.

    Why should the world be expected to create a new washroom for people who don’t like their biology? Has it really come to this? Are we now able to say, I feel like X so I -am- X; and therefore you must treat me like X, lest I am being discriminated against?

    Somewhere, somehow, the notion of that everyone is equal turned into a notion where everyone else has to respect your feelings, to the detriment of their own.

    If John wants to dress and act like Jane, and even have his man parts mutilated so that they imitate the functionality of Jane’s “girl parts” , I don’t expect those who do not know the Lord to live as though they did; but here we have people who expect everyone else to play along with what amounts to a grown up version of dress-up; and because people don’t want to be seen as ‘haters” they are willing to let them.

    What a world. The inmates are beginning to run the asylum.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, December 23, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Daniel,
    Indeed.

    If I remember correctly from conservative talk radio when this story first aired in my area, the Gainesville city Council supported the law saying that all a person need do is "feel" as though s/he is the other gender to permit access to a public restroom.

    I don't know how many with Y chromosomes were concerned about entry by Xs, but lemme tell ya, the X community and their husbands and fathers are VERY concerned.

    Not only concerned about the "transgendered" entering women's restrooms, but anyone with malicious intentions who can enter - pedophiles, anyone with cell phone cameras, you name it. And will be protected by the law for their entry into ladies' rooms if they simply say they "feel" like a female.

    I thank God for His ultimate care over our family. He's never left His throne, and He's always cared for us. Still, we are to be wise as foxes and innocent and doves.

    I'll fear not those who can take my life or that of my children's and am raising them to fear only the Lord - and to love Him and His laws, not man's.

    Merry Christmas, Daniel.

     
  • At 8:31 AM, December 27, 2011, Blogger donsands said…

    Good teaching Daniel as usual.

    I'll keep this with me, in my brain and mind God has given me, unless I lose my memory of it. But then there's the Holy Spirit as well.

    Hope you had a lovely and joyous Christmas time. It is a nice time of year when the air is full of carols about Christ our Savior and Lord. Much of it is secular, but even then it's a declaration of Christ the Truth, the Way, and the Life.

    I had a brother who died of AIDS. It was rough. Yet, he understood how God made this world, and yet was overcome with this particualr lust.
    I say to myself when I become "too" dogamtically right: "But for the grace of God, there go I."
    Yet, I pray for the courage to stand against the toleration of blantant sin. Always ready to bow my knee to Jesus our Lord, and fix my eyes on His Cross.

    Rom 5:6

    Have a great and happy New Year Daniel. And may our Lord do more fantastic things in our lives than we ever imagined! And may we grow closer and closer to Him, and know and experience His presence like never before. For His honor and glory. Amen.

     
  • At 4:42 PM, December 27, 2011, Blogger Jennifer said…

    As someone who was born with a uterus and two X chromosomes, I take offense at anyone who was not who thinks that just by wearing a dress and taking some hormone injections (or even mutilating themselves to make it appear they have female genitalia) makes them a woman. It makes them only a mockery of a woman. I am not a woman because I wear a dress or speak with a higher-pitched voice. I am inherently a woman because of my biology. Calling these men "women" devalues what it actually means to be a woman and degrades femininity to merely outward trappings.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.