H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
987: Awesomeness.
I set aside, each morning, time to read the bible.

I have done so each morning (but not without fail) ever since I turned away from living for myself, and determined, in as much as in me is, to follow in obedience, the teachings of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I don't think that makes me better than people who don't read the bible, but it does make me more joyful, more certain, and more assured. I suppose it also delivers me from all sorts of folly and confusion that I would otherwise be far more susceptible to falling into.

This morning was no different, except that when I had finished reading the scriptures (I am in the psalms right now), I listened to the entire book of Romans on my iPhone. I downloaded it yesterday in the ESV version. I purchased the whole bible in audio format for less than eight bucks, and not that annoying version with the (supposed to be) dramatic, but ultimately and cumulatively distracting ochestral music droning on in the background. No this version is read by David Cochran Heath and published by Crossway. I am not an audio bible affionado, so I don't know if this is the best of the best of the best - what I like about it is that it is a no nonsense read, in a tone and at a pace that I find does not distract from the word. You can go here if you want to get yourself a copy before the sale ends.

I found out about it over at the thirsty theologian, David Kjos' blog and aggregate website. You should bookmark his site and visit it daily.

I mention that I read the bible this morning because I did not want to give the impression that listening to the book of Romans was an act of disciplined study; that is I wanted to be careful not to suggest that iPod bible listening is on par with studying the written word. You (typically) cannot stop to ponder, or take notes, or flip to supporting texts, or fortify what you have just read/heard with other passages in scripture when you are listening to a recording of scripture. All you can (normally) do is "listen". So I put that, not under "study" but under "Joy in the Lord" - not as part of a disciplined regiment, but rather as something more productive than listening to, say, Christian pop radio, or worse. Dare I say this, lest someone misunderstand - but I listen to the bible as a means of entertaining my soul with that which pleases it.

I know that not everyone feels that way about recordings, many I imagine, think that listening to scripture and reading it are pretty much all the same.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is good to read the word, and good to have it read to you - both are edifying. I, likewise, would not hesitate to acknowledge that there were periods in church history where people couldn't read the bible for themselves, either because they themselves did not know the languages of scripture, or because there were no ready and available bibles for them to read. These, by necessity had to hear a person read (and translate) the scripture, and then at some appointed time in an appointed place. This was the best they could manage at the time, so it is fitting therefore that we refer to those days as the "dark" ages. For the comman person lived in spiritual darkness by virtue of the starvation diet he was compelled to live under.

I encourage you, therefore, to take advantage of this offer before time runs out. If you are not a bible reader, well, become a bible listener. If you read your bible, then buy this and start listening - only don't supplant the one for the other to "save yourself time" - rather add it to your day on top of whatever else you do. I find the morning ride to work is good for about ten chapters, and the ride home, another ten.

Labels: ,

posted by Daniel @ 7:13 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 3:26 PM, June 22, 2010, Blogger JIBBS said…

    I'm with you on this. iPod Bible programs do not replace the written word, but I find them extremely valuable. I find myself able to memorize Scripture much easier this way. It's like learning the lyrics to your favorite songs.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.