H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, August 06, 2008
Suit and Tie.
I was at a bible study once where the leader of the study made a reference to Aaron's priestly garb being created for glory and for beauty (c.f. Exodus 28). He then went on to "prove" that since Christians comprise a royal priesthood (c.f. 1 Peter 2:9), it followed that all men should wear suits and ties when we gathered together on Sunday.

Yeah. I am not kidding.

Just to keep the record straight, Aaron's vestige was not a picture of wearing our Sunday best to church, it was a picture of putting on the Lord Jesus Christ.

I said as much in the study, and the rational that came back was pretty standard. If you were invited to go and meet a king, wouldn't you wear a suit and tie?? If you would, then why won't you wear a suit and tie to go visit the King of kings?

That kind of reasoning is flawed of course. First of all, I am with God every single day - when I shower, go to the bathroom, eat breakfast - even as I sleep. God is always with me, so I never "go to see Him" as it were. Likewise, if I am living obediently, my very life is an act of worship, so I cannot try a switcheroo there and say, "Yeah, but when you go to worship Him it is different!", because it is no different - the only difference being that when we as a body are congregated together we are congregated thus for the edification of one another - and in that edification God is more greatly glorified. We are not (or should not be) "especially" worshiping God - rather our worship ought to be a continuation of our day, and continue when we leave. If a person is not practicing this - that is, if a person starts worshiping when they get there, and stops when they leave - that corrupted "walk" is hardly the model we ought to be using to determine our dress.

My response to this line of reason is that we are to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. The truth is we are not going to visit some stranger whom we do not know, but we are going to congregate with our brothers and sisters in the presence of our father who is always with us. How many of us demand that our children wear their "Sunday best" to breakfast, lunch, and dinner? None of us do, and do you know why? Because to dress up special just because we are together is not only pointless it could only lead to the sort of bondage and pride that some are trapped in today.

Now that isn't to say that we should dress immodestly, or unhygienically - or worse, that we should instead of wearing suits, determine to dress in some other artificial way - like say, always dressing casual, or always wearing shorts, or always wearing our worst clothes, etc. Look: dress modestly all the time, and if you can be clean that is a bonus - but don't stay away if your coming from work and haven't had a chance to change - good gravy - come dressed in Christ and you won't have to worry about what you're wearing, because if you are clothed in Christ, you will wear something appropriate.

Now a word for you few who think that it is a sin to congregate in anything less than your best clothes. Consider your ways.

Labels: ,

posted by Daniel @ 7:54 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 9:59 AM, August 06, 2008, Blogger Daniel said…

    There's been some buzz lately about this sort of thing. I am sure I have posted on it before, but I don't mind reiterating my opinion here...

     
  • At 11:55 AM, August 06, 2008, Blogger Carla Rolfe said…

    "come dressed in Christ and you won't have to worry about what you're wearing, because if you are clothed in Christ, you will wear something appropriate."

    Great thoughts on this. I can only say AMEN. (Completely unrelated, but your melting/morphing head pic above is just as disturbing now, as it was when you first posted it, lol)

     
  • At 1:05 PM, August 06, 2008, Blogger Daniel said…

    I need a new morph... I will work something out eventually. I wonder if we can use flash for our avatars?

     
  • At 2:53 PM, August 06, 2008, Blogger jen said…

    Excellent! Those were my thoughts too. We are with Him all the time so who are we dressing up for anyway...

     
  • At 11:10 PM, August 06, 2008, Blogger Even So... said…

    God's dress code is humility (Luke 18:9-14)...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.