H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Friday, May 16, 2008
How To Get Sanctified (In Fewer Words Than Normal)
Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? - Romans 6:16 [ESV]


The word translated "into" here is the preposition 'εις'. It isn't a poor translation or anything, but one nuance can be expressed in the word 'until' or even 'toward'.

Our default state is not spiritual, but carnal. By nature our will is obedient to sin, and only to sin. When a person believes, the Spirit of Christ indwells them - but this does not eradicate the sin in us, nor our desire to obey it. When scripture says that by the Spirit we are to put to death the deeds of the body, it is the prescription for abundant life.

You see, it works like this: obey God. Stop obeying sin. Don't do it thinking that the obedience itself is meritorious - the purpose of this obedience is not to get you into heaven, it is to exalt Christ in you. Your submission (obedience) is not the righteousness by which you will be justified (we are justified by the righteousness of Christ), but your obedience -is- a necessary component of your walk with God, it is the means by which God allows the righteousness of Christ to flow out of you.

That is why you must die to your own desires, so that in your life Christ will be lifted up and when visible through your life, people -will- be drawn to Him.

Thus, don't wait around for a spiritual experience, or for feelings - submit yourself and continue to do so until Christ's righteousness is formed in you. That is called sanctification. It doesn't justify you, but it sure makes you happy.

You have a choice: continue to obey sin until it kills you, or continue to surrender your will to God until you are righteous.

Don't give up Christian, you -will- overcome.

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 9:13 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 11:33 AM, May 16, 2008, Blogger Daniel said…

    I heard a good quote by one of the Harris twins in a video over at
    Lisa's blog:

    If you always do what you've always done,
    You'll always get what you've always got.

     
  • At 11:50 AM, May 16, 2008, Blogger Jim said…

    Fantastic post! The empowering comes when we obey.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, June 12, 2008, Blogger Shep Shepherd said…

    Its easy to try to make the whole thing complicated in our heads, and wring our hands about our sin like we don't know what to do. But the answer is right there. Obey. How shall we who died to sin still live in it? Kill sin or it will be killing you. Pretty simple.

    Thanks for this encouraging post.

    In Christ,
    The Aspiring Theologian
    Knight of the Living God

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.