H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Monday, January 28, 2008
Don't Have Time For The Lord Today?
Perhaps today is the day when your schedule is really, really lean. You have to shave off some prayer time, some study time, some meditation time, in order to make all your commitments..

If you are in Christ, let me remind you that God is your commitment buddy - God is your schedule.

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 6:57 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 10:52 AM, January 28, 2008, Blogger Even So... said…

    Thank you...

     
  • At 5:41 PM, January 28, 2008, Blogger Carol said…

    Can you really guilt someone or shame someone into studying, praying, or meditating? Yeah, I know you can. I used to do my daily bible reading and praying each day for just that reason, because I felt guilty if I didn't after hearing a sermon on it, or I felt like I was winning points with God if I did. But did I really get much out of doing the duty? Nah. I really didn't. I also didn't know the Lord.

    I think that when we truly love the Lord, we want to learn more of him and talk to him, meditate about him, but there may be dry spells sometimes. If we truly are believers we will always begin again though. We just can't help it. I don't believe we need to be shamed into it though. That makes it a duty, and that's no good. It is really a privilege.

    Who would take better care of a sick child? The child's mother who loves him dearly, or a paid nurse?

    I enjoy your blog very much. It really makes me think! Thanks.

     
  • At 6:18 AM, January 29, 2008, Blogger Daniel said…

    Can you really guilt someone or shame someone into studying, praying, or meditating?

    A common error in many Christian circles - an error that results from a flawed understanding of how (and by whom) we are sanctified. It grasps the fact that we ought to behave in a certain way as Christians - that certain occupations ought to occupy us - prayer, study of the word, evangelism, good works, etc. - but failing to comprehend how such things are rightly done, it presumes that the external working of these things is what matters, and therefore one simply must do them however they they get done.

    This sort of works mentality is driven by fear - fear that sin will separate them from God, fear that sin will condemn them before God, fear that failure to perform indicates slavery to sin, and fear that failure to perform will reveal that they are still corrupted by sin. That is, they are afraid of sin's consequences, having never appropriated the fact that the gospel is the power of -God- unto salvation from sin - they don't believe that they cannot be separated from God by their sin any longer, they don't believe that they are free from all condemnation, from corruption, from enslavement - and lacking that faith, they dare not let God do a thing, for their terror drives them to sanctify themselves because they are sure of one thing - if they lack holiness, they are probably not saved. Thus all they do is directed at keeping themselves saved, or proving it, or trying to obtain it because secretly they think they may have botched it.

    And so they take their religious form very seriously, and they guard it in themselves by demanding it in others. If you don't get up at four a.m. to read the bible and pray for as many hours as they do - why, you are surely not as spiritual - or perhaps not spiritual at all. They dare not have their error assailed, so they make sure that your on the same page as them, or they disown you.

    Yeah, there is a way to use guilt to make people do a thing, and many do that to their own shame, and to the hurt of everyone if they succeed.

    Yet we dare not swing the pendulum too far in the other direction, or cry "witch" at every proper exhortation either. The same statement that encourages a truly spiritual person by turning their eyes to Christ because they understand how it all works - that same statement may ring in the ears of on who doesn't get it and instead of being encouraged spiritually, they are, because they have been long conditioned by spiritually poisonous practice - that same statement drives them to conform through the guilt they have programmed themselves to feel whenever they are encouraged.

    You see, guilt can only motivate those who look to themselves to fulfill all that is required of us. They look to their efforts and find them lacking, and see in this condemnation and guilt - and to they are driven to avoid that. that is how guilt works - it requires that one feel condemned all the time - it is the fleeing of condemnation that motivates the guilty, and it is so far from proper in the Christian life I marvel that it is so popular.

    My encouragement was not meant to excite those who are feeling condemned into avoiding that feeling - rather it was to build up those who are looking to the fray rather than the Lord - to remind us all that the enemy is at work in every moment to take our eyes off of Christ, and turn us again to our own efforts. If I am satisfied in Christ, my schedule can never be full, can never be upset - for God writes my schedule, and serving Him is the joy of my heart, and not something I do to earn his favor, nor something I do out of a sense of "coerced for this very moment" gratitude - spiritual obedience happens when my obedience is driven by faith - that is, when I obey because I have learned to truly trust that God's way is the best way for me. When His ways become more valuable in my decision making process than my own ways.

    My post was a very short encouragement - perhaps too short, but it did give me room to write all this. ;-)

    Thanks C.

     
  • At 6:36 AM, January 29, 2008, Blogger Carol said…

    That makes sense, Daniel. --Kind of like Paul reminding us of the things we need be doing.

    Thanks for that.
    Carol

     
  • At 6:50 AM, January 29, 2008, Blogger Even So... said…

    Blessings to you, Carol!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.