H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, November 07, 2007
It's Finally Here!
Oo-la-la About two months ago I was browsing Amazon.ca looking for prices on a newer version of Flash. Flash, for those of you who have never used the internet before, is the programming tool used to create flash cartoons etc. Normally the price for flash is ridiculous ($350 USD), so I typically never find anything in my price range. But way back in September I found a "first time seller" selling a used version of Macromedia Studio 8 (which includes not only the full version of Flash, but also DreamWeaver 8, and FireWorks 8. Cha-ching!) all for under $250 CAD (Canadian).

I was so happy that I could hardly wait for it to arrive.

But it didn't. A month went by, and I couldn't contact the seller after that - and frankly it started to stink of a rip-off, so I contacted Amazon, and sure enough, it was a rip off. Amazon did an investigation then reimbursed me.

Sigh.

So I was quite wary when I saw the exact same software being sold again at Amazon by a different "first time" seller. The price? Less than $200 CAD. But I threw caution to the wind and tried again.

The sale didn't go through.

Apparently the seller had some problem with their account. Fine.

So I was more than exceptionally wary when another "first time seller" but the same bundle up for less than $250 CAD. Honestly, I was ready to give up, but I thought I would give it another shot.

Well, to make a long story shorter, the sale went through. I immediately emailed the fellow and asked him to email me as soon as it shipped and to let me know by whom it was shipping - having been ripped off once, I wanted to be sure the guy was on the up and up. He replied that he was going to ship it the next day. I emailed him back asking how he was going to ship it, and to let me know when it shipped, and I didn't hear back from him.

This was all starting to sound too familiar, since that is pretty much exactly what happened the first time - but to my great comfort, the package arrived air mail today. Full, retail version for Windows/Mac.

Sweeeeeeeet.

As a programmer I can make good use of this tool. One of the things I have been thinking would be fun for my own kids, or maybe the kids in our church would be to make a flash tract, or bible story cartoon. Likewise, you can use the tool to make some very serious blog stuff.

So look for changes eventually.

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 12:50 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 2:07 PM, November 07, 2007, Blogger Jim said…

    Yeah, I gotta get one of those. Good time to buy with the high Canadian dollar.

     
  • At 3:50 PM, November 07, 2007, Blogger David said…

    Show-off.

     
  • At 4:36 PM, November 07, 2007, Blogger Brad Williams said…

    I'm happy for you, but I'm afraid this tool would be useless in my hands. I can barely get a link tag to work and I've been blogging for two years or so. I'm just proud when I can get a word up in italics.

     
  • At 4:37 PM, November 07, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    What is really neat is that I can make animations for my cell phone.

    I made a "skin" for my cell phone already (it's a Sony Ericsson k790a), but it would be very slick to make an animated skin.

    <shiver>

    I can hardly wait!!

     
  • At 9:25 AM, November 08, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    I got home and looked at the software and frankly I am more than a little concerned....

    The fellow sent me, not the original disks as I expected, but home "burnt" CDs; and worse, he said that he didn't have the registration (serial) number "yet" because he had purchased the software from a studio that was closing and they hadn't sent him the registration number yet...

    So he provided me with a "temporary" registration number (enclosed in a letter with the CDs) - the kind of serial number anyone can get if they google "macromedia studio 8 serial number" and said that he would send me the actual serial number in three weeks or so when he gets it from this the person he purchased the software from.

    Conveniently he also notified me that he was just leaving for vacation and wouldn't be back until Monday November 19th.

    What concerns me of course is that I could have downloaded the full install disks myself from any number of hacker/warez sites and then googled a serial number to use for it. We call that pirating where I come from, and the reason I purchase software rather than pirate it, is not because I don't have the savy to pirate, but because I regard such things as criminal and worse, as sin.

    So I have written him an email that basically says, hey - when you buy software, you are not merely buying the program, but you are especially buying the license to legally use it. I explained how selling me the program without providing the license was in fact, not delivering me anything usable, and asking him to get back to me so we could hash it out.

    My growing suspicion is that there is no software house in Seattle that had a closing sale and sold this software and forgot to provide the serial numbers, but rather that the vendor is some punk who has downloaded a ghost image of the installation CD and is selling it fraudulently.

    Sigh.

    I have contacted Amazon of course, perhaps it really is on the up and up, but it sure smells fishy.

    What do you all think - does something smell of fish in Denmark, or am I over reacting?

     
  • At 2:08 PM, November 09, 2007, Blogger Marcian said…

    This is how I bought my copy of Photoshop CS. I don't know why, but it seems that whenever I have to format my laptop, as soon as there is an internet connection, it registers the software (they were kind enough to leave the serials on the CD case for me). BUT, I have been somewhat wary of buying used software, though it seems like the smart thing to do when a higher version comes out, and the previous one works just fine.

     
  • At 3:48 PM, November 09, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    The end user license is pretty straight forward, it gets transferred "tangibly" with the serial number. The person who has the software installed must uninstall all copies, and then they can sell the software if they provide the serial numbers too.

    I don't mind buying second hand software, but there are punks out there who are willing to defraud people knowing that they will likely have to pay back everyone they defraud, but that not everyone is going to understand that they are being defrauded - thus they play a numbers game - if they sell a copy ten times, and six people call them on it - they don't make a penny - but the four people who say nothing get pirated software, a hacked serial number to use it, and the pirate gets 4 x $250 bucks - a cool grand. It is easier than digging ditches, but far dirtier.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.