H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Monday, November 05, 2007
Demons
God created all the powers and principalities that exist - all angels and heavenly hosts were made by God. In general we call all these powers and principalities by the same name, "Angels". Likewise, when one of these angels rebels against God, we call that angel a "Demon". When a man sins against God, he has recourse in Christ unto salvation - that is, man has a redemptive opportunity while he lives upon the earth to turn away from his rebellion, and to embrace the offer of salvation by faith, and thereby be saved from God's wrath and from sin's power. Demons are not given that opportunity.

Demons are very real, but Hollywood especially, and not a few old wives tales and urban legends and what not have really misinformed a great many about the nature of demons etc.. Many today regard demons as either superstition or as something you scare little children with - but not the sort of thing that anyone grown up should ever give any serious thought to.

Yet even amongst bible believing Christians, many are more superstitious than biblical in their understanding of demons, and have given themselves over (in this area at least) to all sorts of teachings that are extra-biblical, especially in the realm of exorcisms.

My own experience with demons has been very humdrum, and I must say, and I prefer it that way. I -have- had to deal with demonic things, and I certainly believe that people can be oppressed by demons, but I haven't seen any really freaky stuff, and I hope it stays that way. I know some abuse the idea of demons such that every running nose is regarded as a demonic encounter. But I know Christians of profound integrity who have in their history encountered demons in ways that are not humdrum, but frightening, tangible, and vivid. We don't see a lot of shrift given to that in the Christian blog-o-sphere, and perhaps that is because we want to maintain some decorum - we don't want to be thought of as superstitious freaks, or have our intellectualism questioned or lampooned. Yet I thought it might be good to talk about it anyway.

One former pastor of mine tells of an experience where a shadow flew around the room he was in as he and some others were counseling an oppressed young lady. The same pastor tells of another instance where a glass table top picked itself up and flew threw the air when the spirit of a Ouija board was asked about Jesus Christ. The same pastor tells of having once been grabbed by the throat and spoken to by something that wasn't there. Now, he has been in the ministry for over sixty years, and much of his ministry for the past thirty years has been itinerant - traveling all over the world. Never the less, if you knew the this fellow, you would not be able to lightly dismiss anything he said, for the man is not inclined to exaggeration, fabrication, or hallucination.

Another fellow I know was counseling at a summer Christian camp where some young girls claimed to have seen a demon in the woods, later that night one of them began shrieking and thrashing about believing that a demon was pulling her flesh off her. The girl, I am told, was so powerfully strong that no one could restrain her.

In my own experience, when I have had to deal with demons, they have been pretty subdued, so I don't have any freaky things to report myself, but what about the rest of you? Have you seen anything first hand that cannot be explained? We all have heard second or third hand things, can anyone share a first hand account?

I remember dealing with a young lady who was into cutting, drinking blood, and much worse sins. Her arms were a mess - literally scars upon scars. I don't think she was ever set free, even after we dealt with her. She couldn't understand her need to surrender all to Christ - she would agree with her mouth, but she had no follow through. She just wanted God to give her the life she thought she deserved, and if counseling might make that happen, she was willing to be counseled. It was tragic to me, but not freaky.

Another time a young lady was attending church and praying in tongues who had never received Christ - she wasn't a Christian yet, but having attended a charismatic church she had been told to pray for the gift of tongues, which she did - and she received something. After she heard the gospel and was saved, she continued to "pray" in tongues, but we tested the spirit (as scripture instructs), and when we did, she found she was unable to speak in tongues - in her own words, in our presence, it was as if her throat were closing up. After that meeting she wanted nothing more to do with our church. Sad that...

Anyway, as I say, I don't have any freaky stories, but I do have stories. Yet some of you may have some first hand accounts. Share them. Yet in saying that I caution, the point is not to bring glory to ourselves or to demons, but rather to say demons are real, and to demonstrate the damage they can do, and hopefully to hear of some deliverance.

Labels:

posted by Daniel @ 9:11 AM  
9 Comments:
  • At 10:22 AM, November 05, 2007, Blogger Brad Williams said…

    I have had what I believe to be three encounters with the demonic. Two of them involved witnessing to people who were lost and in gross sin. The other was personal and prior to my salvation. It is sufficient to say that that, in my case, the light of the gospel dawned in my heart and revealed the face of Christ. Grace is irresistible, even to the demonic.

     
  • At 10:38 AM, November 05, 2007, Blogger Jim said…

    People allow demonic activity in their life when they give ground to Satan who then builds strongholds. Our culture is embracing the occult at a frenetic pace which will ultimately lead to many more encounters with the demonic world.

    The apostle Paul was not shocked by demons. He recognized their source and rebuked them by the power of the name of Jesus. We are not fighting flesh and blood, but spiritual wickedness.

    You make an assumption however that I have heard often; that demons are fallen angels. Do you have any scriptural support for this claim?

     
  • At 11:54 AM, November 05, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    Jim,

    Ephesians 6:10-12 we read that we (Christians) battle against spiritual powers and principalities, that is, against spiritual rulers (authorities) and their wicked armies (hosts). When I use the label -Demon- I am referring to those spiritual entities that scripture plainly teaches are both real and presently adversarial to the believer.

    In the gospels when a malevolent spiritual entity is encountered, the name they label the spiritual entity with is demon, and so I have used the name that scripture has used to describe those spiritual entities we encounter here on earth.

    In Colossians 1:16 we learn that Christ created everything that exists both in heaven and on earth, both visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. Whatever demons are, they are first and foremost created beings.

    In Colossians 2:15 Paul tells us that these same powers and principalities were disarmed and made a public spectacle of by Christ on the cross where He triumphed over them, and we are told again by Paul, using the same language to describe these beings, that our struggle here on earth is not merely against flesh and blood, but against powers and principalities, whom Paul articulates further to be rulers and their armies (hosts) (c.f. Ephesians 6:10-12).

    We see the same described by the Apostle John in Revelation 12:7-9 where we read, "Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back, but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. " [ESV]

    Continuing on in Revelation 12 we read that when Satan saw that he had been cast down to earth, he made war on the "offspring of the woman" - whom John tells us are those who keep the commandments of God.

    Scripture tells me that angels who rebelled against God were cast down to the earth and are presently making war against those who keep God's commandments.

    Now, in the gospels when spiritual entities were raging against those who were keeping God's commands - these were called "demons" - and if I have used the name that scripture uses to describe these entities, I do not feel I do injury to the text simply because it lacks a verse that unequivicably equates fallen angels to the term demon.

    In my own studies I have found no compelling reason to extrapolate and speculate beyond a simple understanding: if a created spirit has been cast down to earth from heaven I label such a one a "demon".

    Let me know if that makes sense.

     
  • At 12:13 PM, November 05, 2007, Blogger Jim said…

    Daniel,

    I bring this up not to cause controversy but simply to ask a question that has bothered me for some time. I agree with your understanding of the spiritual nature of our enemy. I also agree that Jesus and His disciples encountered many demons during their ministry.

    Let me first ask you another question.

    When does the battle in Rev. 12 take place?

     
  • At 12:27 PM, November 05, 2007, Blogger mark pierson said…

    I was in India in 1984. We had just concluded a tent service and lines were forming in front of both me and my pastor; lines of people wanting the foreign preachers to pray over them. About 20 or 30 people into the line an individual wanted me to lay hands on him for prayer, just I had been doing with all the rest. As soon as my hand made contact with his head he fell to the ground and started screaming at the top of his lungs. Just then I noticed his foot was about to make contact with a large battery that we were using to power the sound equipement. As I went to stand in the way, he, all 120 pounds of him, while laying on his back, was able to push me aside. I could not believe the strength. To my knowledge he never came to Christ. Sad that...

     
  • At 1:17 PM, November 05, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    Jim, the events of revelation 12 happen at a time when Satan and his angels have been cast to earth and during that time they make war with those who follow the commandments of God and keep the testimony of Jesus.

    My answer to your question will be the same as your answer to this question: When did people begin holding to the testimony of Jesus?

     
  • At 1:19 PM, November 05, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    Mark - 120 lbs ain't much. That must have been quite unnerving.

     
  • At 1:59 PM, November 05, 2007, Blogger Jim said…

    Daniel, I am going to assume you mean the resurrection of Christ or shortly thereafter.

    If you believe the angels were cast to earth and became demons after Christ's conquering the death and grave, how do you explain the demon worship of the old testament and also the remainder of Rev. 12?

    I don't necessary have a specific answer but would like to hear if you have any revelation on this?

     
  • At 4:43 PM, November 05, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    Jim, I don't know if the things that happen in heaven can rightly be understood as happening simultaneously on earth - that is, I don't know if it is wise to presume that what happens in eternity can be mapped back to a specific date on a calendar, and even if it can (and I am not suggesting that it can't), we certainly lack any perspective to nail it down to a date.

    I don't insist therefore that these things happened after the cross.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.