H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
How Do They Miss It?
Why is English so ugly?I have on my blog, something I call The Σκυβαλον Clause.

The Σκυβαλον Clause, briefly stated is a policy I have whereby I chose not to link to certain blogs as a matter of principle. The "Unashamed of Grace" blog is one such blog, so please forgive me if instead of linking to the blog, I simply post the entire post that I am responding to in my own blog here:
by Antonio da Rosa

Luke 22:31-32
And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren."
NKJV

Why would Jesus pray for Peter's faith not to fail if a true Christian cannot lose their faith?

What does this have to say about perseverance of the saints?


My reply follows:

Why would Jesus pray for Peter's faith not to fail if a true Christian cannot lose their faith?

First, we mustn't lose sight of the fact that this event pre-dates the inauguration of the new covenant (Pentecost); which is to say that the new covenant ministry of the indwelling Holy Spirit had not yet come, and therefore we are sort of comparing apples with oranges when we compare a pre-pentecostal Messianic Jew with post-pentecostal, Holy Spirit indwelt, new covenant Christians.

Secondly, the presumption that any fluctuation in faith necessarily indicates a loss of salvation is not a universally accepted speculation. Your own certainty on the matter does not engender confidence in, nor add credibility to, this sort of speculation - and it would be difficult for any thoughtful or honest person to follow you in such an unsupported presumption just because you have painted something of your own conclusion into the question you ask.

Given therefore that your question presumes an unsupported assumption and were this not enough to muddy the water, the difficulty is compounded by being a comparison of states that are as alike as apples to orange I must admit - it is a time exhausting exercise to frame an answer given the warping involved in the question.

Nevertheless, I should like to answer your two questions one by one if I may...

To the the former: Jesus prayed for Peter's faith not to fail for this reason, It is God's will that all his saints persevere, and it was fitting for our Mediator to pray thus - that Peter's faith not fail. I am sure that Christ in heaven continues to pray thus - that the faith of every elect believer perseveres - and I believe that Christ has His petition now, just as He received it then - that is, Peter persevered because Christ was his Mediator to that effect. His perseverance is as secure as Christ's mediation. How much more shall we who are presently saints, persevere when our Mediator is in heaven at the right hand of God intervening on our behalf presently in ways that are no doubt superior to the scene recorded here?

If anything, this verse demonstrates that those ones will persevere for whom Christ mediates. Which is to say that this verse teaches the perseverance of the faith if one has eyes to see it.

As to the latter question, I think I answered that in the former.

Praise Christ for his glorious and daily ministry towards us - mediating on our behalf at the right hand of God - praying that our faith too will not fail - and receiving from God the same answer to His prayer as He received for Peter - Yes, I will cause this one to persevere!

I don't know how you miss it, I really don't.

Labels: ,

posted by Daniel @ 11:33 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 4:31 PM, April 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Daniel, a most excellent response. I do appreciate the time you put into this one. It's really quite helpful to me.

    Ya know, we're just not privy to all that is taking place in the heavenlies. Praise God He loves us so much that His Son intercedes on our behalf.

     
  • At 9:50 PM, April 21, 2007, Blogger jazzycat said…

    I don't know either how they (FG) could miss it either. I am not sure they do miss it.
    Wayne

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.