H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Opinions, opinions...
Matt posted something the other day. The link didn't work, but you can read what he is referring to here. I thought it was pretty sad sounding, but it only got worse as I examined Bryan's post "The Sproul Jr. Saga" here.



If you are already familiar with the details, perhaps you would care to share your opinion?



I had a poll here, but in order to view it, you had to be exposed to inappropriate -text- ads. (Thanks Dave for the heads up)

So what do you think? Should paedo baptists allow paedo communion as well. That is, if you think it is okay to baptize the unregenerate - what's wrong with giving the unregenerate communion as well?

posted by Daniel @ 11:14 AM  
11 Comments:
  • At 2:51 PM, February 07, 2006, Blogger Rose~ said…

    "covenant theology ..."
    *walks away shaking head*

    ;~)

     
  • At 3:50 PM, February 07, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    Indeed. I fail to find covenant theology in scripture.

     
  • At 4:41 PM, February 07, 2006, Blogger David said…

    Daniel, did you notice the kind of ads that are displayed on the "view results" page?

     
  • At 5:09 PM, February 07, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    Daniel,

    Would you be able to give me a short synopsis on the definition of convenant theology? I fail to understand what they mean here by this?

     
  • At 7:21 PM, February 07, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    David - No, didn't look. EWW!

    Thanks for the heads up... I will be removing the poll after posting (stupid ads)

    Jim,

    Covenant theology would take a long time to explain, and I would be perhaps the poorest person to explain it. ;-) I would suggest Wikipedia as a good place to start.

     
  • At 8:34 PM, February 07, 2006, Blogger David said…

    Daniel, I didn't notice at first, either. I went and set up a poll of my own, and that's when I noticed.

    Anyway, this conflict of paedobaptism vs. paedocommunion was part of my journey out of Lutheranism. I thought it was odd that understanding was necessary for communion, but not baptism.

    As for Covenant Theology, it's heresy, I say, damnable heresy! Not really, but that's what I get when I say "Dispensational."

     
  • At 9:08 PM, February 07, 2006, Blogger pilgrim said…

    I fail to not find covenant theology in Scripture--not that I was looking for it--but reading scripture I find it.

    Of course definitions are useful, and so is context, I'm sure there are those who would call somehing covenant theology that I would not recognize as such.

    As for Paedo communion, as scripture is clearer on communion than baptism, it is hard to make a case for it if you mean infant communion, but children?
    Well that depends on the child, and their maturity & understanding.
    I don't think it's biblical to have a cut off age. But a comprehensive interview with the elders would be good to establish what the child believes and understands. We would also need to define "Child"

    Here's a good article on Covenant Theology-
    http://www.modernreformation.org/sm00covenant.htm
    There was another link for an Australian Presbyterian Church, but that site seems to be down.

    But hey that doesn't mean I don't think any of you are not my brothers--I'll give you all the benefit of the doubt...

     
  • At 10:32 PM, February 07, 2006, Blogger Bryan said…

    The Baptist Paul Jewett makes the argument in his book Infant Baptism & The Covenant of Grace that Reformed folks should accept Padeo-Communion based on their belief in Padeobaptism. It's an interesting argument, but not convincing enough. This issue has shown it's head in the Reformed community from time to time so there are responces out there to it such as http://www.fpcr.org/blue_banner_articles/meanye1.htm

    As for what Covenant Theology is, I would agree with Daniel he's not the person to explain it :)

    There is a lot of information on the net about it, a lot of it is fairly long however. I would suggest taking a look through http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/topic/Covenant-theology.html

    And of course, the Westminster Confession covers the subject in chapter VII.


    Bryan
    SDG

     
  • At 9:10 AM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Jim said…

    Thanks Daniel et al for the links and comments. Daniel, thanks also for the discernment in taking down that link, I must confess I didn't see the advertisement until David pointed it out.

    God bless,

    Jim

     
  • At 9:25 AM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Daniel said…

    As for what Covenant Theology is, I would agree with Daniel he's not the person to explain it :)

    Amen! If I decide to study covenant theology, Bryan has a whole library for me to read ;-)

     
  • At 5:46 PM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Jeremy Weaver said…

    It seems to me, a 'New Covenental Baptist', that the consistent paedo-baptists would not withhold communion from those who have been baptized. In communion Jesus himself says, "This is my blood of the covenant". So it seems that if baptism introduces you into the covenant community, then you are in and the sign of the covenant in communion should not be withheld.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.