H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Looking Back, Looking Ahead.
This is the ninety fifth month I have been blogging at Doulogos. At the end of next month, on April 29th, to be exact, I begin my fifth year here.

What have I noticed in all this time? I have noticed that after blogging for a few years most people start to repeat themselves, myself included. Most of my posts are musings on how to live the Christian, and now not to live that life. I have discussed things I think every believer ought to know, and how they ought to understand them, and more importantly apply them. I have never seriously regarded my blog as a ministry; though I am persuaded that it has likely ministered to others from time to time. Mostly it has been a running dialog of various theological thoughts which I wanted to articulate for my own sake, surrendering them, if you will, to the public consumption of my peers whose interaction has helped to sharpen and focus my thoughts as well as correcting and shaping some of my doctrine.

All in all, it has been a pretty passive journey. I think I am a better writer today than I was in April of 2005 - though perhaps not as interesting. I think the tone of my blog has changed over the years, unintentionally trading a former charm for a latter sobriety - but c'est la vie. I have no regrets.

Probably because I was a bright but smallish boy growing up, and to avoid being bullied, I learned to use what wit I had to direct attention away from myself and at others - by fostering a remarkable ability to cut other people down in a way that is funny for everyone else. When I came to the Lord, I loathed that about myself, and begged Him to free me from it. Funny how we often throw the baby out with the bathwater. Whenever I have the urge to say something witty, clever, and funny - I typically shrink away from it in a sort of pavlovian revulsion. I suppose that plays itself out by the sombre tone I imagine my blog has, but really, self evaluation is, well, so one-sided, it is often off the mark. So I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it.

Anyway, I expect I will continue blogging for another couple of months at least. I will probably sign off at the end of May, or maybe in Early June.

To put these past years into perspective, the three blog posts I get the most hits on - almost daily are:

Can you sell your soul to the Devil?
White Nose Hair
The Nautilus Machine.

That says a lot, ...doesn't it?
posted by Daniel @ 11:28 AM  
11 Comments:
  • At 3:56 PM, March 18, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't comment all that much (if ever), but I'll miss your posts.

     
  • At 9:03 AM, March 19, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    I may keep the blog running after that, I don't know yet.

     
  • At 10:36 AM, March 19, 2009, Blogger mark pierson said…

    Your voice is needed in the blogosphere. Think again about signing off.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, March 19, 2009, Blogger mark pierson said…

    I'm not suggesting that you should take yourself too seriously here but...

     
  • At 11:59 AM, March 19, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    Mark, I wonder if I could actually sign off.

    It is very difficult to keep my mouth shut (as it were). ;)

     
  • At 12:21 PM, March 19, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It'll never happen.

     
  • At 6:25 PM, March 19, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I read your blog every day (or at least check it every day), though I often don't comment because I am a busy homeschooling mom with 2 under 2 years old - so I read quicker than I type. :)

    Your blog, and you, have ministered to me numerous occassions. I often have "gut feelings" about doctrine, but can't put into words why I believe what I believe. You have given me the words, encouragement, and focus on many difficult topics. Thank you.

    Count this as my vote that you keep posting, as often or not as you can.

    Jennifer

     
  • At 8:18 AM, March 20, 2009, Blogger Lisa said…

    Please reconsider... :-/

     
  • At 12:39 PM, March 20, 2009, Blogger Daniel said…

    Okay, okay... I will keep the blog going... lol. I just won't post as often.

     
  • At 3:14 PM, March 20, 2009, Blogger Jim said…

    Well I was gonna leave a comment and let you know how much I have appreciated your blog; but I guess I don't have to now. ;)

     
  • At 7:59 AM, March 24, 2009, Blogger donsands said…

    "..fostering a remarkable ability to cut other people down"

    And now you teach the Word of God, which cuts like a two-edged sword. Keep on teaching the Word, and shaing your wisdom with the Body of Christ. Seems this is what the Lord has called you to, and gifted you with.

    Ephesians 4:11-16

    It's a good thing to take a week off, especially to give extra attention to your fam. I need to do this myself.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.